lee pro 1000

I'm new to reloading and may have bit off more than I can chew but I got the Lee pro 1000 for 9mm and 40. I have yet to load a dam thing I have everything needed and then some for safety but I'm just not getting it , I live in s Lawrence ma on Andover line without sound I g creepy I am willing to pay $50 to someone to give me a quick lesson and possibly just check if I have even set this up correctly , I have watched all Lee vidios and read the 49 th book cover to cover I'm using 115 grain with 700x powder and CCI primers with clean brass if anyone is interested u can text john ( me)@781-913-5623 thanks all [frown]

The pro 1000 is pretty easy to use and set up. Maybe you should take a reloading class? Also here I learned a good deal about lee loaders. http://loadmastervideos.com/ I was able to take the 4 POS presses I accumulated over the years into running order......I later traded or sold them. I like lee for what it is cheap tools that work......your definition of work or of how well can be different.
I have yet to have a lee tool that didnt do what it said it would or lee didnt back up......

I can't speak to any of your questions because I'm new myself, but I'd suggest editing your post to remove your phone number. There are spam bots aplenty on the interwebz looking for that info:( You can easily share it in a pm if/when necessary:)

I used a lee 1000 for years. When it worked it worked pretty well but when it didn't it was an education.

We need more info. What isn't working? What happens when you try to reload?

I'm new to reloading and may have bit off more than I can chew but I got the Lee pro 1000 for 9mm and 40. I have yet to load a dam thing I have everything needed and then some for safety but I'm just not getting it , I live in s Lawrence ma on Andover line without sound I g creepy I am willing to pay $50 to someone to give me a quick lesson and possibly just check if I have even set this up correctly , I have watched all Lee vidios and read the 49 th book cover to cover I'm using 115 grain with 700x powder and CCI primers with clean brass if anyone is interested u can text john ( me)@781-913-5623 thanks all [frown]

Priming trouble?
My experience is that any tight primer pockets, especially crimped, are a no go. If reloading range pick-up you almost always have to de-prime and "swage" the primer pocket "off press" (expect on something like a 1050). The only time I have gotten a progressive to do all steps is when reloading my own spent casings, none crimped.

Other wise it's a matter of die depth and "timing". Try one case at a time until you can get through the entire process.

David E.

I don't bother removing the crimp from my pistol brass. If one comes up tight, I just toss it. Its rare enough and there is enough brass around that its not worth doing. Just my .02. I use a Dillon 650 for my high volume stuff and a Lee turret for my low volume stuff. (.357 magnum, .44 magnum, .460 S&W Magnum)

The biggest issue I had with the Lee Pro 1000 when it came to priming was making sure you keep the primer tray full. If it go low, like down inside the chute, that is where I would run into non-primed cases. Like mentioned before, just try one case at a time without loading the case tubes. If you want, try it without primers and power for the first couple, that way you can see if you have your dies adjusted correctly too.

I have 2 Lee Pro 1000's. One for .38spc and the other for .45ACP. Before someone asks, it was a good deal, but I had to buy both. Besides they were already setup for what I needed.
I had similar issues with the priming function on the press. Very frustrating and wasted a lot of powder when the powder drops and there's no primer.
Anyway, I never could get it to function correctly and consistently, so I read about how someone broke up the steps needed. And now I can crank out bullets with very few issues.
First, I bought an additional turret, they are like $10-15 on Ebay. Installed just the sizing/deprime die on it. The other turret has the expander/powder drop and seater die on it.
After cleaning the brass. I run them through the only the sizing/deprime die. This goes fairly quick.
Next, I hand prime the cases using a RCBS Universal hand primer, costs around $70 on Amazon. I also load rifle rounds, so this works for everything I shoot. This goes fairly quickly also, and I can inspect the fit as I do it.
Then I switch out the turrets and run the primed cases through the expander/powder, and seater dies.
It may take me a little longer than using a Dillon. But, after making over 4000 rounds this way, I have not had any major malfunctions and very little wasted powder. And my frustration level is very low.

loading 9mm on any progressive loading press can be a pain with military crimped brass. I assume you have the automatic shell feeder so you kind of dump the brass in the funnel, shake and fill the shell tubes. You will need to inspect all of your brass and set aside (throw away) the military stuff BEFORE you fill the tubes. An easy way to spot military 9s is they do not have a caliber stamp like: 9mm Luger or 9mm Para so they are easy to spot. I reload with a Dillon SDB so I take a quick look at the stamp before loading station 1. I have used the Lee Pro 1000 successfully for 45 ACP, 38/357 and 44Spl/44Mag. They do work once all is adjusted properly.

loading 9mm on any progressive loading press can be a pain with military crimped brass. I assume you have the automatic shell feeder so you kind of dump the brass in the funnel, shake and fill the shell tubes. You will need to inspect all of your brass and set aside (throw away) the military stuff BEFORE you fill the tubes. An easy way to spot military 9s is they do not have a caliber stamp like: 9mm Luger or 9mm Para so they are easy to spot. I reload with a Dillon SDB so I take a quick look at the stamp before loading station 1. I have used the Lee Pro 1000 successfully for 45 ACP, 38/357 and 44Spl/44Mag. They do work once all is adjusted properly.

I don't do any of that. I just keep a RCBS case prep center next to the press. If I feel a tight primer pocket, I pluck the case off the press and if I'm in a hurry, drop it into a coffee can and go onto the next one. If I have the time I flip on the RCBS and ream the swage out of the pocket.

I just don't have the patience or the eyesight to sort pistol brass.

Back
Top Bottom