• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lee Pro 1000

Found one with a good price on Midway ~170. Does this have everything needed to start reloading? Starting from scratch here.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/347040/lee-pro-1000-progressive-press-kit-223-remington

It says the kit comes with.

Caliber specific die set: Pistol Calibers include Carbide 3-Die sets, while the Rifle Calibers include Pacesetter 2-Die sets and rifle charging die
Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure with 4 disks
Pro 1000 Primer attachment
Case Feeder attachment with tubes
Appropriate Shell plate

Last edited:
That price seems to low.
I think it might be missing a few parts and plus other items you'll need.

Check out the lee site. You can buy a complete setup for them with one set of dies.
I'm starting to look at reloading setups my self . You might want to start with some thing besides progressive . Most will tell you to get a Dillion if you want to go progressive.

I'm looking at there turret setup to start with 45acp my self.

[popcorn]

You will get a lot opinions about this press, mostly negative. Maybe even from a lot of people who have never had one, but have "heard things".

That being said, I've loaded thousands of rounds of 9mm with mine. Most people seem to have issues with the primer feed, but really I find that it works fine. I made a minor modification using small tie wraps so that the primer tray gets jiggled more. That, and just keeping everything clean, and it works great. Almost all of the feed issues I've had are due to bad cases (especially the ones with staked pockets), or operator error (short stroking, or upside-down primers).

My impression is it works well with straight wall cases. I don't have experience loading .223 with it, and it might be a total fail at that. I'm thinking in addition to the parts in the kit, you will need a tumbler of some kind, and probably a case trimmer, calipers, scale etc. Also, the standard auto-disk powder measure works well, but it is not easy to make adjustments in the drop. You would want to spring a few bucks for the micrometer powder measure.

Have fun playing with that when it breaks. I think there are a few masochists around here that know how to keep those things running, they probably have a cheat sheet of tips that might be useful.

-Mike

I've loaded thousands of 45. .40's and .38/357's on mine and it works just fine. I have a Dillon and and RCBS and I still use the Lee for those calibers.
The Auto Disc you might want to not use. Buy the Lee adjustable charge bar it is much better.

Is the press complete as listed complete. I dont see what it can be missing to justify the price.

It only says Turrets sold separately. But they dont seem to be that expensive. Am I missing something here? Are they just phasing out the model?

Last edited:
Is the press complete as listed complete. I dont see what it can be missing to justify the price.

It only says Turrets sold separately. But they dont seem to be that expensive. Am I missing something here? Are they just phasing out the model?
The press is complete as listed. It comes with 1 turret, you would buy additional ones if you wanted to easily change calibers. It has the primer feed, case feed, shell plate, and dies. The rifle calibers come with Pacesetter 2-Die sets and rifle charging die, which I don't know anything about, but I assume it's what you need. I'm more familiar with pistol, which comes with the three dies you need. I would suggest going with the adjustable powder measure.

[h=1]Lee Auto-Disk Adjustable Powder Charge Bar[/h]
You will need other equipment as I listed in post #3.

The pricing is about right, about 1/3 the cost of a Dillon, and some would say you get what you pay for. But I have loaded lots of pistol rounds on mine, and have not been frustrated at all. Maybe I'm just lucky, not sure.

I would say that any reloading, regardless of the brand of press, is somewhat a technical thing. So if you don't have some mechanical aptitude, it will be frustrating.

Lee is what it is. The least expensive reloading equipment. Yes it works.... works well, good or bad is all up to end user. My only advice with lee is go slow and easy until your sure of yourself. The lee press is not as forgiving if you just yank on the handle all the time and fource it through....let us know how you do.

midways shipping cost usually make any savings a moot point.

https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-pro-1000-.223-remington-90633.html look around you might find it cheaper?

Last edited:
I had a Pro 1000. The primer feed is fussy, and I could never get the powder drop to be reliable. I ended up taking that off the bench and replacing it with a single stage. I've also moved on to a Lyman powder drop. I've found it to be dead reliable.

If you're powder drop is using the chain, that's totally unreliable. You can switch it out for a spring which makes it almost 100% reliable. They're fussy, but if you're new to reloading. Then that is what I would get. I started with the same kit your looking at in .45. It comes with everything you'll need other than a scale.

I have the Dillon 650 now with a case and bullet feeder now. I would never ever recommend starting off with something like this. You wouldn't learn how to drive a car at 16 in an F1 Race car...

Found one with a good price on Midway ~170. Does this have everything needed to start reloading? Starting from scratch here.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/347040/lee-pro-1000-progressive-press-kit-223-remington

Caliber specific die set: Pistol Calibers include Carbide 3-Die sets, while the Rifle Calibers include Pacesetter 2-Die sets and rifle charging die
Appropriate Shell plate

To answer your question "does it come with everything?" Well no. Short add on list LOADING MANUAL
Case tumbler, calipers for measurements, case guage, trimmer, case prep tools, scale,case lube.....I'm sure I forgot something.
Solid bench.

Post back after you try it.

I had one and ended up giving it away. I can't imagine trying to make rifle ammo on one.

A good tool is always a good tool. When you spend extra to get the "right" tool for what you want to do you seldom remember the extra $$$ years later when that tool still does exactly what you want to do, when you need it to do it.

I have purchased many good tools, many expensive tools and many "on sale" tools.... I have NEVER regretting later buying a good tool

I don't see the case collator listed as included. It's worth the $12 if it isn't included.

I load .223 on one. I have one turret that I size and decap once fired brass with. I then trim and decrimp primer pockets off press. I hand prime off the press on once fired brass to make sure the pockets are done right. After that I go back to the press with a second turret to fill with powder and seat the bullet. With brass that is 2x fired and beyond I use a 3rd turret with the full die set on it and I load all on the press. My only tips are to make sure you feel the primer being seated before you drop the powder or you'll be taking the press apart to clean the powder out of the priming set up and from under the shell plate. When the primer tray is empty fill it or replace it with a full tray or you won't have enough pressure on the primers in the trough to feed them through properly. It doesn't hurt to buff the hell out of the completed round chute.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=LE&prodID=LEE90633&prodTitle=Lee Pro 1000 223 Remington

Someone gave me one of these presses. After close examination I decided not to even try to load on it. I sold it for $75. Get a Dillon 550 B you won't regret it.

Appropriate Shell plate

I know that the price may seem good on the Lee pro 1000, but, spend the money and buy a dillon. If you only plan on loading handgun ammo, get a Dillon Square Deal B from Brian Enos. It will cost twice as much, but its leaps and bounds better than anything that Lee makes. Lee is crap, most people end up giving up reloading due to the lousy Lee presses.

I know that the price may seem good on the Lee pro 1000, but, spend the money and buy a dillon. If you only plan on loading handgun ammo, get a Dillon Square Deal B from Brian Enos. It will cost twice as much, but its leaps and bounds better than anything that Lee makes. Lee is crap, most people end up giving up reloading due to the lousy Lee presses.

I have loaded a lot of rounds (over 100K) with a Lee pro 1000. They will make good ammo, but they need to be constantly adjusted.

Dillons are much better and worth the $

I also have a Lee Pro 1000. I almost used it as a target when I was initially setting it up but eventually calmed down and got it to work right. I've loaded 2k+ rounds of 45 acp on it with no real problems. Powder drop seems accurate when using WW231 powder and like everyone else says the primer feed stinks, just tap on it every 5-10 rounds to get more to feed and it will be ok. If I could go back knowing what I know now I would just spend the money on a better press. When this one breaks or needs any type of part I will upgrade.

A good tool is always a good tool. When you spend extra to get the "right" tool for what you want to do you seldom remember the extra $$$ years later when that tool still does exactly what you want to do, when you need it to do it.

I have purchased many good tools, many expensive tools and many "on sale" tools.... I have NEVER regretting later buying a good tool

+1. Quality machines like the Dillon will last you a lifetime.

Once you get it set up and get a feel for when it does something wrong you will enjoy it. Just never fully give it your trust and you should be ok.

There's some good useful info over here http://loadmastervideos.com/
Its not just for the loadmaster. Poke around. I used it a lot when setting up a press for my friend his dad had stuffed away. Other than some missing parts it worked.
LEE has one advantage there is nothing out there ( other than good used deals) that can come close to lee at the price. No other manufacture can build anything better at lee prices....if they could they would. When lee goes out of business there will be a lot of unhappy reloaders.

Something about tapping primer trays evey 5 rounds and using zip ties....Just makes me un easy when it comes to reloading

Something about tapping primer trays evey 5 rounds and using zip ties....Just makes me un easy when it comes to reloading
The primer feed is designed around having the primer tray jogged. This is necessary to keep the primers moving in the tray. Lee built it with a metal rod attached to the primer feed chute which contacts the vertical support post. There are horizontal grooves in the post meant to "tap" the primer tray on the up and down stroke of the ram.

I found on mine (and probably on most others), this mechanism was not reliable, so I added three zip ties to increase the contact between the rod and the support post. I don't think it's a particularly high tech or hard to understand modification. Others don't bother to figure this out, and just manually tap the tray every few rounds. Same effect.

qjm4Re8l.jpg

Back
Top Bottom