Lee Peo 1000 , rehab, fixes and diy hacks

mac1911

NES Member
Lee Pro 1000 rehab.
you can find alot of lee pro 1000 tips here

The lee pro 1000s are inexpensive enough to buy one for each caliper.
Although if your a user of Lee products and a receiver or buyer of “mystery” boxes of gun stuff you can accumulate enough spare parts to rebuild.
Currently with the parts on hand I have 2 Lee Pro 1000s that found their way to me in boxes of parts.

One press is close to finished and going to be my dedicated 30 carbine press. image.jpg
Still have to set up the case feeder

Last edited:
Pro1000 project #2 this one is pretty bare. Fortunately Lee does offer a lot of small replacement parts free. You can pick up complete carrier assemblies for about $40 in any caliper . The good thing about buying complete carriers is you get the needed shell plate and primer feed with it. With what I have on hand I can rebuild this one and it will ne for 38/357 image.jpg

Kudos to you on a constructive project during these trying times. I resurrected a couple of Pro 1000's a few years ago. Decent press if dedicated to one pistol caliber. I could never get the primer system reliable so that was their demise. But, sir, I raise a glass to you for sharing.

Kudos to you on a constructive project during these trying times. I resurrected a couple of Pro 1000's a few years ago. Decent press if dedicated to one pistol caliber. I could never get the primer system reliable so that was their demise. But, sir, I raise a glass to you for sharing.
primer system can be a bit quirky. The plastic feed ramp needs some cleaning up. They have a updated primer tray that is working very well for me.

1st press is up and making ammo. 30 carbine, .
2nd press will be for 45acp
They will join the current 223 press.
Im waiting on a few small parts from lee. i almost have enough parts to build out the carrier i have on hand.
That will most likely be 38/257

Well I'm about done with my lee Pro1000 projects. If i did not have these 2 free frames and a good supply of parts both factory and making some of my own i might just have bought a new press. Looks like lee redesign the pro1000/4 hole turret into a hybrid of sorts. The turret press and Pro1000 have had face lifts also. With more space between base and head.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS_4D48yQeo

The new Lee breach lock pro looks pretty good for the money. Thats my general feeling about lee. It does what the claim at the price point many can afford.
The 2nd press and the 2 extra cavities are all all set and ready to rock. I only need the 45acp powder through expander die, which was generously offered by NES'r Uzi2.... Thank you again.
Although NES has its share of BS Its been a key part in my shooting over the past 10 years or so. I would not have some of the stuff , info and down right good old BS'n with folks. I dont have much "gun stuff" interaction in my day to day life so between the CMP matches and forums I would be talking to the press, well I already do that.

Last edited:
You sir, have waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more patience than I do.
you need patience with any of this stuff....
It took me for ever and a day to get my friends 650 running right. After playing around with a Lee Load master I think they are more problematic than the pro 1000s.
I set up a hornady for a neighbor it was no easier or harder than any other press.

I had a pro 1000 and like you had to make some tweaks here and there and I was surprised that I didn't have as many issues that I have heard other people having. (In the beginning I was only loading 9mm then at the end add .223). That is when I traded it to my cousin who happened upon a new load master. I have had more tweaking issues with the load master than the 1000. But now I am reloading 9mm, 40, 10mm, 45 and .223.

You know you could just buy a Dillon and not have to do any of this 😂
not exactly true.... plus where can you get 2 free dillons/parts and for $20 in parts with close to half being ship[ping and get 2 presses with 6 cal set ups? [smile]
I come across free lee stuff often because its so cheap new you cant help but give it away.

I had a pro 1000 and like you had to make some tweaks here and there and I was surprised that I didn't have as many issues that I have heard other people having. (In the beginning I was only loading 9mm then at the end add .223). That is when I traded it to my cousin who happened upon a new load master. I have had more tweaking issues with the load master than the 1000. But now I am reloading 9mm, 40, 10mm, 45 and .223.
yes , setting up my friends load master was a pita. Then the calls back and forth
For the loadmaster this helped although some of the videos are painfully slow

I have not got around to posting on here

not exactly true.... plus where can you get 2 free dillons/parts and for $20 in parts with close to half being ship[ping and get 2 presses with 6 cal set ups? [smile]
I come across free lee stuff often because its so cheap new you cant help but give it away.
I just like to bust chops. I drink the red kool aid

I think I speak for a lot of us in saying we admire your ability to get the best out of these things....it's just that most of don't have the time, patience, or mechanical aptitude.

Rock on brother...keep posting your success in turning red trash into almost functional red trash ;-)

Blue.

;-)

I think I speak for a lot of us in saying we admire your ability to get the best out of these things....it's just that most of don't have the time, patience, or mechanical aptitude.

Rock on brother...keep posting your success in turning red trash into almost functional red trash ;-)

Blue.

;-)
Lack of money , pushes me to be creative , patience. i thank my dad and uncle for the mechanical ability.

@mac1911 What are you using to lubricate the moving parts on these presses? I'm specifically interested in the ram and the pins that articulate the handle.

I have found other online resources that suggest grease, and others that say dry lube. I figure since you are remanufacturing old presses you would have some insight into what works best.

Thank you

3in1 oil. Very light coat. I do have a old can of remington dry lube that if its closer to me when I need it will used also.

Grease likes to find powder,brass trimmings and everything else and drag into the works.

I tend to lubricate my press only to prevent rust. A drop of 3-1 on the pivots does fine.
Im not sure if you even need to lube them. I do not use any lube on the carrier parts

Last edited:
Is it true the adjustable lee powder measure on my pro 1000 is not accurate/reliable at lower grain measures? And if so what unit to use?
Which measure?
Autodisc or autodrum?

Autodisc is tough for very small charges - you can't get the microdisk anymore so that limits the lowest charges for some powders.
If you are really stuck - I modeled the microdisk and can 3d print them.

A big part of getting good drops is setting up the die to get the hole fully over the drop.

Which measure?
Autodisc or autodrum?

Autodisc is tough for very small charges - you can't get the microdisk anymore so that limits the lowest charges for some powders.
If you are really stuck - I modeled the microdisk and can 3d print them.

A big part of getting good drops is setting up the die to get the hole fully over the drop.
i had the auto disc , then bought the adjustable and adapted it to the auto disc base. Dropping 4.2 grains for 45acp was inconsistent. Unfortunately I’m in between building a new house and will wait on setting up my reloading room till this summer. Just wondering about the best way to set up when I do.

i had the auto disc , then bought the adjustable and adapted it to the auto disc base. Dropping 4.2 grains for 45acp was inconsistent. Unfortunately I’m in between building a new house and will wait on setting up my reloading room till this summer. Just wondering about the best way to set up when I do.

I'm a geek of the first degree so I have several solutions for the autodisc
I also have the adjustable charge bar - you can make several mods to it for small drops but I made a model for a charge bar that takes printable bushings.

If you need a specific size let me know - I just need to know what a standard disc drops in the holes above and below your desired weight. Then I print out a charge bar that drops the exact weight.
If you were trying to drop under 2 grains then you would need the microdisk.

I have that adjustable charge bar on my setup and I had an issue with it being inconsistent on a real small charge. I ended up gluing a small chunk of rubber in the it to block off some space and better center the opening under the hole the powder drops through. That resolved it.

I'm a geek of the first degree so I have several solutions for the autodisc
I also have the adjustable charge bar - you can make several mods to it for small drops but I made a model for a charge bar that takes printable bushings.

If you need a specific size let me know - I just need to know what a standard disc drops in the holes above and below your desired weight. Then I print out a charge bar that drops the exact weight.
If you were trying to drop under 2 grains then you would need the microdisk.
I’m very thankful for your offer, will need to archive this for my setup. I’ll pm you when I dig out my stuff, 🙏

Back
Top Bottom