• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

lee loadmaster alignment issues

I am fairly new to reloading and purchased a load master because of the price and it has been great, but recently the shell plate and die turrett seem to have fallen out of allignment. I'm lost and don't have a clue what to do any advice will be appreciated. And please I don't need to see 100 comment that say "go blue" or throw it away and buy a Dillon cause at the moment that's not an option. Thanks

The best way to align the shell plate and turret is to put a shell in the sizing/decap station and one in the seating/crimp die station and operate the handle to bring the shells up into the dies. Loosen the knurled set screw holding the turret. Get the brass fully engaged in the dies then tighten the knurled screw to lock the turret in place. That should do it.

I'd like to add that the shell plate carrier has a bolt that goes through to the bottom of the ram. While you have the ram raised with shells in the dies tighten the nut under the ram. Don't go crazy on it but tighten it up. That will keep the shell plate carrier in position.

You weren't specific on how they are out of alignment. Are you having a primer issue? A case insertion issue? Or a simple die alignment issue?

Last edited:
Just a heads up on root cause on this type of thing with Lees, make sure you're not putting Berdan primed brass thru. You'll push the decapping pin up and the plate won't full cycle. Saw this on a buddies press.

I've never had mine get really out of time, but have had it "short stroke" on berdan primers, or if a primer half seats and hang in the eject portion of the program. Go to YouTube, Lee precision has a channel with some great videos on their equipment. The one you're looking for is here: http://youtu.be/VjqwHbnS1Og

Lee's videos are short and to the point, so there's not a lot f extra fluff.
You'll also find several other people with videos on the Loadmaster, a lot good, and some bad. This is how I learned to run my press, and the information is indispensable.

]try the loadmaster zone. http://loadmastervideos.com/ if you cant get your loadmaster running as well as it can from this web site ...... well its either broken or you ........[wink] I was able to bring a few loaders back to life with this web site also found some really good deals on forum section.

Re: Lee instructions
EVERY word they print is meaningful. Short and to the point. If they make a suggestion, take it as an order.
For dies, as mentioned, screw the die down where it should, raise a case or round into the die, and then tighten the lock ring with the case/round in the die.
Call Lee if the press is out of timing. This happens to Blue, Red, Green, and Red. I don't know about Lee, but all the shell plates I have ever seen have some sort of ball detent so the shell plate locks in position to the base plate. If you have to move the shell plate slightly to get it to "go into battery," then you probably need to adjust the timing.
Going to the LoadMaster Zone is obviously the first place to go. They have their own "manual" for the press and you should download, print, and read it.

I have a lee load master I can not get the shell plate to rotate. It is very tight without the nut on.
is it only one shell plate or all of your plates?
If it is only one plate just check the bore for burrs
If it's all or most then the carrier was overtightened with the draw bolt.
Ease off the draw bolt and see if it recovers enough to work - if not, lightly sand the boss the plate runs on to get it to spin or just buy one for $20

Back
Top Bottom