• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lee Classic Press ?

Picked this press up a couple of weeks ago, got my dies in yesterday. Well anyway followed all the set-up directions and resized around a dozen 223 cases everything fine to this point, then it got where it would not remove the primer.The die never moved it still touches the shell holder like before.Well I never seen anywhere how to adjust the decapping pin. I assume you just turn the nut on the top. I have another die on the way just for decapping due to the fact that most of the brass I have is crimped (Military) and just don't want to mess my die up pushing out crimped primers, thought maybe this may have played a roll in the decapping problem.Well my question is what would be the best way to make sure that it's adjusted right, cause it needs to go deep enough to decap but also deep enough so the ball resizes the neck all the way. I really don't think it ever went as far as it should have even when it decapped those first 10 or 12 just got lucky and caught it enough to pop the primers out. Let me hear some input from some of you reloading experts out there I'm always open for suggestions.

Thank's guys
makitaman60[grin]

make sure you lube those cases too..i got my dies in 2 weeks ago and did have to adjust the pin..been working solid ever since.

Last edited:
Assuming these are Lee dies, the pin is designed to slide up to avoid breaking the pin. You may have just hit a primer that was very solidly in place, and the pin just pushed up a bit.

Like was said before, just loosen the nut at the top, and push the pin back down. As for adjustment, I have found that flush or just below the top of the nut is more than sufficient to get the job done.

Hey thank's guys yea that's all it was, had another set of 9mm dies checked out there set-up and it does mention the decapping pin adjustment. I new it was know big deal. actually it's made to work just like that if it hits a stubborn primer. I just thought they might have mentioned it on the data sheet where to adjust it to, you know like flush below the shell holder or a 1/4 below. some kinda standard so you know te neck is getting sized all the way.
Well anyways Thanks and I'm sure I'll have more problems down the road. Oh yea got me one of those dillon swagers on the way I have a pile of military brass thats gotta be doctor up maybe this will help speed up things. I'll let you know how it goes.[grin]

Back
Top Bottom