• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lee Classic Cast Review

I've been reloading since the late 1980s. My first press was a tried and true RCBS Rock Chucker II. I still have it, but when I first got it back 20+ years ago I thought there has got to be a better way to deal with the primers. Well I put up with the crappy design until four weeks ago when I got a Lee Classic Cast press. I've been recommending these for a while and I finally got fed up with my RCBS and figured I'd upgrade. I also have a RCBS Partner and a Hornady LNL Progressive, but a solid single stage is best for what I mostly do; rifle shooting.

If you are considering a single stage press, it's hard to get a better press than the Lee Classic Cast. It will save you $50 over a Rock Chucker at Midway USA. It's a better press and you wont have to deal with the friggin mess that the Rock Chucker creates.

B

My 20 year old RCII and its primer catch bin. Poor design even back then.

scaled.php

I even took out the priming feature to facilitate the primers making their way to the catch bin.

scaled.php

My new press. Spent primers go down the hollow ram and into a trash bin.

scaled.php

Other side.

scaled.php

Got a LNL bushing conversion for the press.

scaled.php

pict0071wz.jpg

Does it cam over at the top?

Just for the record, the new Rockchucker Supreme catches the primers much better.

It does not cam-over like the rock chucker. I looked at the newer rock chucker and I did not think it did a better job of handling spent primers, although I have no direct experience using it. Most of the posts on castbullets.com seemed to complain of clogged chutes. I mostly use it for decapping before wet tumbling, and my cases are small ( .223; 308 & .30-06).

B

The new Rockchucker doesn't cam over. Also, they changed the primer catching setup so that it's no longer a 'bedpan' like on the old ones. I've been using one in my reloading classes. I like it. I also use three Hornady L-N-L single stage presses (which do cam over). I was thinking of replacing one with the Lee Classic Cast.

I'm not sure if I like the presses that cam over, or those that don't.

I know the cam overs can be a little tricky to set up. finding that highest spot on the piston travel then holding the handle in place and adjudting your die......

Thanks for the review, nice write up.

I've got a Lyman T-Mag that cams over, I doesn't bother me much, only loading one caliber and it being a turret means I don't have to adjust much if ever now that they are set.

I could see where having cam over on a single stage could drive one nuts, at the same time I agree on the accuracy and wiggle room being pluses for cam overs.

The Lee Classic Cast with the Hornady bushing would the Single stage I'd get if I needed one.

Last edited:
I ended up going with the classic cast, and I agree it is a great press. I decapped about 1000 rounds so far and maybe had 3-4 primers miss the tube.

I'm not able to justify the locknload bushing things. It only takes me 30 or so seconds to change out the threaded dies.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom