Lee 4 hole Turret recommendations

WanMan99

NES Life Member
NES Member
So after burning myself out on a breech loader single stage I have decided to move up to the 4 hole Turret. I currently load 9mm, 38 spcl and will be starting 45 acp when the turret arrives. I bought the stand alone turret and not the kit (I have enough accessories as it is) and purchased the following to augment what I already have.
Lee Carbide 4-die deluxe .45acp
Lee .38 crimp die (already have the three die set)
Lee .9mm crimp die set (already have the three die set)
2 additional turrets so I can have all three calibers setup and not have to adjust each time.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with this turret and could recommend needed additional parts or upgrades. especially the riser component for the auto disk powder charge (I currently use this on my single stage and love it). Also anything about the priming setup that I might need to order.

TIA

The riser for the auto disk is a necessity if you are also using the safety prime system on the press. If you don't have them already, i would also recommend extra powder measures ( one for each caliber) and the adjustable powder bar.

The riser for the auto disk is a necessity if you are also using the safety prime system on the press. If you don't have them already, i would also recommend extra powder measures ( one for each caliber) and the adjustable powder bar.

Thanks, I'll grab a few more powder measures, riser, and watch the video that Flyer007 recommended.

?? The Auto Disc uses sliding "revolver"-like discs to measure powder. You shouldn't need to purchase anything else if you have the 4 discs it came with. Or do you mean get an additional auto-disc for each caliber?

I use a Lee 4-hole press, although I prime off-line with a Lee hand press. No complaints. The extra turrets are well worth the $.

I only use the the Auto disc for pistol powders as I did not have success in metering consistent charges of rifle (extruded stick) powder.

55_grain

?? The Auto Disc uses sliding "revolver"-like discs to measure powder. You shouldn't need to purchase anything else if you have the 4 discs it came with. Or do you mean get an additional auto-disc for each caliber?

I use a Lee 4-hole press, although I prime off-line with a Lee hand press. No complaints. The extra turrets are well worth the $.

I only use the the Auto disc for pistol powders as I did not have success in metering consistent charges of rifle (extruded stick) powder.

55_grain

The Auto disc has an optional "riser" stack that lifts it up a few inches when it is used on a turret. This is supposed to keep it away from the auto prime arm. I wasn't sure if it was necessary. I did watch a few videos and saw one with the riser and one without. For only $7 I went ahead and ordered one just to be on the safe side.

I have been using the Lee turret setup to load .45ACP, .357, .30.30, .308, and 10mm. The only real problem I have had is that I wore out the little ratchet insert that rotates the turret. That was easily replaced and several thousand rounds later, I have experienced no other problems with the equipment.

If you are going to use the powder measure and prime on the press, you need to use the riser as mentioned above. I have also added the adjustable charge bar to the powder measure, as it allows me to fine tune the charge weight.

Shoot straight and load safe.

wanman99,

it's a dumb little thing, but i find storing a set up lee turret in a labeled, 13 oz/11 oz. coffee can keeps it safe, yet easily accessible. i have 26 to date...you'll likely add to your collection, too.

budman

ignorance is fixable, stupidity is forever...

26? wow, I need to get out more.... I have to say that after using the turret for a few weeks that I do like it. However, I am not a fan of where the priming arm is positioned (though I am not sure where else they could put it). I have found that I am more productive by sizing and priming on my single stage breech loader and then loading up my containers with cleaned, sized and primed cases. that way when I need to load up a few hundred rounds I can throw them in the turret and churn out some volume. I probably would have been better served with a three hole turret because I only use the flare/charge, bullet seat and full crimp (very slight crimp to make sure the case is not out of spec).
.44 mag and .40 S&W will be the next two calibers.

Back
Top Bottom