LED Safe Lighting

Junior314

NES Life Member
NES Member
On vacation this week and staying home. One of the projects I had on my list was to install some sort of lighting in the interior of my safe. Bought some cheap LED strip lights and connectors off ebay/Amazon a few months back and finally got around to it today. Not as clean as I would have liked but I am pleased with how much light these little guys put out. Need another strip to finish it up. Also wiring up a switch to mount to the outside of the safe. Also consolidated down a ton of my 5.56 ammo into ammo cans to store away.

Just curious if anyone has suggestions for dehumidifying rods?

Attachments

• 20180312_122516.jpg
    20180312_122516.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 216
  • 41kS28C-JtL.jpg
    41kS28C-JtL.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 182
Nice, but all I can see is the 110vac light on the back wall and the battery light on the top shelf. I guess that is the point, no? I want to do something like that but would like a door operated switch.

The lights are nice. I need to do the same some day.

I think you have to buy some gunz.

I have those same LED strips in my safe connected to a motion sensing switch so it will light up when I open the door.

Works well but the adhesive backing on the LED strips don't adhere very well to my safe's carpeted interior. I think I am going to just tap some staples into the walls to hold them on, unless somebody can point out some small screw in brackets that might work better

I got the LED tape light off Amazon for my safe and I used a magnetic security switch so when I open the door the lights come on. I got double stick 3M tape from ebay as well it is cut thin enough for the switch and the tape light as the adhesive on the tape light only sticks to metal or plastic surfaces.

upload_2018-3-12_17-2-49.jpeg

Nice, but all I can see is the 110vac light on the back wall and the battery light on the top shelf. I guess that is the point, no? I want to do something like that but would like a door operated switch.

They run all the way down the sides and bottom of the safe. I will take a better picture in the dark.

Working on setting up a switch now that I can mount on the side of the safe. Tomorrow's blizzard project.

I did something similar, but I had the LED strips on some quarter round trim. That way the light would project onto the shelves better.
Also, make sure to power the strips from both ends, otherwise one end will be dimmer due to the voltage drop.

Works well but the adhesive backing on the LED strips don't adhere very well to my safe's carpeted interior. I think I am going to just tap some staples into the walls to hold them on, unless somebody can point out some small screw in brackets that might work better

You could also do what I did above with the trim, but add velcro or fabric glue on the back to adhere to the carpeted interior.

I was wondering about a motion operated light. We have some nice 12V ones in the steel building at the Hopkinton pistol ranges which would light up a safe nicely.

I have all the stuff, cheap 16’ led light a motion sensor and a 12v 7ah battery. Found a 12v digital volt meter to toss in there also.
I just need to install it

I bought the Liberty kit with my Liberty safe. Was a little pricey but I love it.

Attachments

• IMG_2724.jpg
    IMG_2724.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 47
I used some battery operated leds that are run by a few aaa batteries, they have a motion sensor on them come on when the door is open and go off about 15 sec after the door closes.
This is what I use also. Works great.

I have those same LED strips in my safe connected to a motion sensing switch so it will light up when I open the door.

Adhere light strip to inside of PVC 90 angle trim and faster this to the carpet with the scratchy half of adhesive Velcro

I waited until after XMas one year.. and bought a 10 ft LED Rope light from Walmart or Target when they run the 50% off sales to get rid of Christmas stuff.
Plugged that in to one of the motion sensors they also had on sale. All done for under $10.

I have a few strip LED's that run off aaa batteries, they work great. They pretty much all turn on with the motion of the door opening. running power into the safe it not necessary in my opinion.

I used the following products in my safe, on a motion detector.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019Q3U72M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JLB0GM6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSF65MC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The adhesive backing of the LED strip sticks to the metal surround on the inside of the safe. Where the LED strips meet the carpeted walls, I used a thumb tack to keep it against the walls. Works awesome and was very easy to setup.

82995D00-9A96-41C0-A774-BB62A8B035F9_zpsdqlakh5z.jpeg

DD1B75B6-F43A-4C74-91E1-58434990E35D_zpsc2bdfi5t.jpeg

Edit: If you cut the strips to go at 90 Degree angles and such you will need connectors. The ones I bought said they would work for the 8mm strips I bought and they did, but they would not close completely so once the storm passes I plan on hitting an electronics shop for better connectors.

I used the strips for bed lighting in my pickup. I didn't bother with the connectors. I just soldered jumpers to the connector pads.

Bob

IMG_0837.jpg

I used the strips for bed lighting in my pickup. I didn't bother with the connectors. I just soldered jumpers to the connector pads.

Bob

IMG_0837.jpg

Interesting. What did you use for a power source? I would love to be able to link something like that up with the bed light switch in the cab.

Interesting. What did you use for a power source? I would love to be able to link something like that up with the bed light switch in the cab.

I just pulled the 12V and ground from the trailer hitch wiring.

I used steering diodes with lighted switches so that I could turn it on from each side of the truck and the closed switch lights up. A little more complex but it works well.

Here is a thread I made back when I did it.

Bob

DIY LED Truck Bed Lighting

Back
Top Bottom