• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Leaving your firearm in your MV.

The only time I leave my gun in the car is when I pick up my daughter at school, which hasn't happened since COVID. I send my employees to the post office if I need anything.

Saw it more than once out there. The California agents had to be talked down out of the nearest tree. They were easy to find, the urine trail led straight to them.
I spent a year and a half going to Harley school in North Phoenix in the mid-1980's. Folks would just leave them on the dash of their trucks/cars. Brought them in at night though...
Lots of wood-stocked SAA's and 1911's...

I can't think of the last time I went into a no carry zone. Post office? Bank? All online. School? All my kids are like 40. If'n there's a rifle onboard it's typically in a locked case whether it needs to be or not. As far as the Speedo thing your on your own. I'm tired of the chicks asking me if that's a 45 in my shorts.

Banks are NOT no carry zones. The Registry and Police stations are not, either, although to get into the inner sanctum regions of the latter you'll generally have to use a lock box.

Federal buildings (such as the Post Office) and Schools. Probably some state buildings like court houses or the Capitol. Beyond that, I'm unaware of any blanket bans.

What can go wrong?

h
mirror-ak-jpg.179410

The adhesive isn't strong enough for that use. Either the mirror breaks off or even worse, cracks the windshield in the process.

I'd bet money that leaving ammo in the same container would be considered a "loaded" gun by somebody in this state.
Only by nobody that'll be missed.

The adhesive isn't strong enough for that use. Either the mirror breaks off or even worse, cracks the windshield in the process.
blues_brothers.jpg

Again, just to be clear, if you are leaving your gun in a locked container in your PARKED car/truck it is storage and not transportation. Therefore you do not need to unload your gun before you store it. Just remember to take it out and put it back on before you start up your vehicle. (I say put it back on because I take my gun, holster and all, and lock it in my lock box.) I think you are taking an unnecessary safety risk by unholstering and unloading your gun while sitting in your parked vehicle, particularly with a semi-auto handgun.

Again, just to be clear, if you are leaving your gun in a locked container in your PARKED car/truck it is storage and not transportation.
Just don't use a trigger lock. (<- Which is not what you wrote).
  • Using a trigger lock on a stationary vehicle can get jacked up for "illegal transport", regardless of the letter of the law.
  • Trigger locks are unsafe on loaded guns, and guns shouldn't be wantonly unloaded/reloaded (see below).

I think you are taking an unnecessary safety risk by unholstering and unloading your gun while sitting in your parked vehicle, particularly with a semi-auto handgun.
True, that.

Playing around with guns
(unholstering/unloading/reloading/holstering) for no good reason
is how lots of negligent discharges happen.

And repeatedly chambering the same round in a pistol invites bullet setback.

Last edited:
Banks are NOT no carry zones. The Registry and Police stations are not, either, although to get into the inner sanctum regions of the latter you'll generally have to use a lock box.

Federal buildings (such as the Post Office) and Schools. Probably some state buildings like court houses or the Capitol. Beyond that, I'm unaware of any blanket bans.
I've been in the local police departments around me plenty of times armed, sometimes not for anything particularly official either, couple of times carrying owb with just an open jacket over it, they never even asked about it lol

I've been in the local police departments around me plenty of times armed, sometimes not for anything particularly official either, couple of times carrying owb with just an open jacket over it, they never even asked about it lol

I have as well, but entering the "secure" regions they've always asked if carrying and provide a lock box.

Last time, the copper called me a bastard while he was taking my mugshot [laugh]

Had a convo with a buddy Sunday morning about this very topic.. he's a good guy.. a gun guy, and a former cop (in the early 90s).

He said it was illegal to store a gun unattended in a car. Said it had to be under your direct control. Couldn't leave it in a car to run into anywhere.

I said it was legal to leave it in a locked minisafe in the passenger compartment or locked in the trunk. Locked glove box does not count.

however, we did both agree that was not very prudent to leave it there long..

this is Massachusetts.

I ended up finding the answered question on the Norwood PD LTC application that I forwarded to him.

I only leave my carry gun in my vehicle in two typical situations. Going to the post office or going to a restaurant where I know I will have at least one alcoholic beverage.

If I'm in my town's post office, my holstered gun is typically in a cup holder with my doors unlocked. I may or may not occasionally carry it in to the post office. May actually lock the doors during the summer though. If I'm going to a restaurant, it will be in the center console. Glocks are cheap-no huge deal if it gets stolen. Report it stolen, maybe do an insurance claim, buy a new one.

I only unload my carry gun while cleaning it.

I have as well, but entering the "secure" regions they've always asked if carrying and provide a lock box.

Last time, the copper called me a bastard while he was taking my mugshot [laugh]
I mean in the "secure" locations lol not just the lobby

Okay, old timers help me out. [thinking]

Didn't it used to be, if not illegal, more than frowned upon for us not to store weapons in vehicles? I remember going to ranges in the early 90's when suddenly it was "OK" for us to stop for lunch after shooting because we could now lock our guns in the trunk. I don't know if it was a ruling, new, or finally recognized law. Any help?

Matt

Okay, old timers help me out. [thinking]

Didn't it used to be, if not illegal, more than frowned upon for us not to store weapons in vehicles? I remember going to ranges in the early 90's when suddenly it was "OK" for us to stop for lunch after shooting because we could now lock our guns in the trunk. I don't know if it was a ruling, new, or finally recognized law. Any help?

Matt

maybe this is why my friend recalled it being a no-no.

I've been in a number of PDs and never asked to secure it. A couple of booking areas as a matter of fact. One time getting prints for FL renewal my gun gave a loud clank when it struck the officers's gun and he never said a word.

I guess the copper who took your mugshot knew you! [devil]

Had a convo with a buddy Sunday morning about this very topic.. he's a good guy.. a gun guy, and a former cop (in the early 90s).

He said it was illegal to store a gun unattended in a car. Said it had to be under your direct control. Couldn't leave it in a car to run into anywhere.

I said it was legal to leave it in a locked minisafe in the passenger compartment or locked in the trunk. Locked glove box does not count.

however, we did both agree that was not very prudent to leave it there long..

this is Massachusetts.

I ended up finding the answered question on the Norwood PD LTC application that I forwarded to him.
The law was unclear until the 1998 law was passed, so many did indeed believe that there was no legal way to leave an unloaded handgun in a MV unattended.

That's what I call pull.

Most people get frisked before that point.
[rofl]
[rofl]

Back
Top Bottom