• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Leaving MA soon….

If all goes well, I may be leaving MA in the near future to attend grad school in either Virginia or West Virginia. I would be leaving right after X-Mas, and December graduation; Im leaning toward West Virginia because my job can transfer there and they pay more money *(ODDLY). AS far as gun laws and MA; I believe I can buy guns in both state once I have a residence/apartment there. I also read I can apply for my LTC in that state. Does my MA NRA course transfer? In the odd chance I return to live in MA afterward, is it legal to return with my new toys and all their high-cap goodness?

Any thoughts on Morgantown WV or Manassas VA? I have spent plenty of time outside Manassas and I like it there, plenty to do and the woman are all really good looking. It must be in the water. I have only been to Morgantown once and it was cold as hell in mid January. Didn’t notice the quality of woman.

Last edited:
I traveled to Morgantown, WV fairly regularly for several years. It's a college small city in the middle of nowhere. The people are good folks. They have some decent restaurants and night-life places, but nothing like a big city. Pittsburgh is not that far away; people drive up there regularly for a night on the big city. WVU football is HUGE; the city doubles in population when they play at home. I'd consider moving there and living outside of town as I much prefer the rural lifestyle.

I occasionally travel to Manassas too. At this point it's become just another suburb of D.C.; lots of suburban sprawl and traffic. No clue what the night life is like. I wouldn't move there but if you like being in a big suburban area with lotsa people then Manassas is better than Morgantown.

Good luck

Last edited:
Morgantown, WV is the better choice I think. It's a nice place and you will find life is a lot more laid back / the people are friendly there. Manassas is now becoming the urban sprawly of DC. EITHER WAY THE GUN LAWS DON'T SUCK LIKE HERE IN MA.
Best of luck.
smitty

So I take it you've freed yourself of that chick with the crazy dog? [laugh]

Depending on what you buy some of it may not be transportable back into MA. Any post-94 AWs or large cap mags are verboten. So if you buy a new AR-15, or new mags for it, those aren't coming back. I'd just suggest forgoing the notional of moving back to MA ever again, it'll make life easier
that way. [laugh]

FWIW back when I did a bit of research WVA seemed slightly less communist WRT guns. In VA you will need a CCW in order to bypass their gun a month crap/wait period or whatever it is, but that isn't a big deal. One good thing is that VA has one of the most powerful state level lobbying groups in the nation, the VCDL.... http://www.vcdl.org/

-Mike

Last edited:
I not a fan of cities, so I would be looking for an apartment or basement to rent out side Morgantown, and I have only driven threw Manassas to get to Gainesville VA. Apartments I found on Craigslist seem to be real cheap. One of my favorite places in the world is there Manassas Battle Field Park. (http://www.nps.gov/mana/). I don’t think I will come back to live in MA, but the possibility is their since most of my family live here. After school I will mostly likely settle in VA, and work close to DC.

First gun I buy will be a Kimber 1911!

You'll like it there.
The only wierd thing is at WVU football games they put cole slaw on hot dogs.
My son is starting WVU at Morgantown this August and we are moving to Martinsburg in order to care for my wife's mom the same month.
Our house is under contract and the family is out of here the end of July.
The part that sucks is my companny does not have an opening in the area for me untill the end of the year so I sit here for another few months.
But I have my exit visa and there is light at the end of the tunnel.

You'll like it there.
The only wierd thing is at WVU football games they put cole slaw on hot dogs.

That's definitely a Southern thing. If you're not careful, they'll put coleslaw on your pulled pork sandwich, also. Learned that the hard way when I first moved to NC...[shocked]

Back
Top Bottom