• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

least obnoxious AR-15 muzzle brake/compensator

Kind of a weird question. I already have one AR which has a RRA NM A2 upper with no muzzle device - I'm looking to build a 2nd more of the zombie/tactical/HD type for fun and maybe taking some classes. The recoil of .223/5.56 is not bothersome to me at all, but on this new rifle I do want some sort of muzzle device to protect the barrel crown. But, I don't actually care at all how effective it is at reducing recoil. I've been next to some guys with compensators/brakes at the range and they can be loud/obnoxious as hell for the guy next to you. And I've heard some can be annoying/extra loud even to the shooters.

Accordingly, what compensator/brake would you put on a AR if your #1 requirement was having it be as "unobnoxious" (both for you and the guy next to you) as possible? Any recoil reduction would just be a bonus.

Battlecomp. It ain't cheap, but it is the least offensive comp I have stood next to. I did a mag dump on an M16 with a BC at the last Monadnock shoot and was quite impressed with the reduction of recoil it provided.

I have a FSC556 on my carbine, it is better then some, but it is still pretty harsh.

Last edited:
I have a Stag with their brake/compensator and it is obnoxious for people on either side. I also have 4 of the Yankee Hill Machine Phantom brakes and they are better than the Stag, especially for people on the sides. The other one I have is Branson compensator, which looks like an A2 flash hider, but it is mounted on a dedicated .22lr barrel so it really doesn't do much other than cover the threads that were on the barrel.
If price is not an object, Battlecomp makes one and from what I've read it is very good, probably the best one on the market.

ETA: edmoresiii beat me to the Battlecomp while typing

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, guys. Follow up question - the battlecomp is good to go in a AWB state such as MA, right? As far as I can tell from looking on their site, it is only a compensator and not also a flash hider? So shoud be good to go?

Battlecomp. It ain't cheap, but it is the least offensive comp I have stood next to. I did a mag dump on an M16 with a BC at the last Monadnock shoot and was quite impressed with the reduction of recoil it provided.

I have a FSC556 on my carbine, it is better then some, but it is still pretty harsh.

+1 for the BattleComp...expensive but my buddy's new AR build has one and it looks good and doesnt blast you with noise when your shooting next to him, unlike my Miculek Comp. People have asked me to move down a few tables when I shoot it. My next build will get a BattleComp.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Follow up question - the battlecomp is good to go in a AWB state such as MA, right? As far as I can tell from looking on their site, it is only a compensator and not also a flash hider? So shoud be good to go?

These types of devices are not officially classified by the state. Until you get popped for something and they decide to send it to an independent lab for testing. The general rule of thumb is that if it doesn't say 'flash-hider' in the description/manual, you should be fine. I own a spikes comp and could not be less worried about it.

One thing to note: they come in different lengths. The battle comp 1.0 on a 14.5" barrel is a no-no. The battlecomp 1.5 will get you to a 16" overall length.

I have a battlecomp 1.5 on a 14.5" Danial Defense pencil barrel. As Sniper977 noted I am very happy with this setup. Not obnoxious and shoots so flat it's like shooting a .22lr conversion on your AR.

Yes it hurt paying for it......until I shot it.

This.... I've been next to a few of them and it is probably one of the least obnoxious on the market. The Carlson Comp isn't too bad, either.

To put things in relative terms... In order of normal to worst:

A2 Birdcage ---------Uncrowned--------------Carlson-----Battlecomp-------------------------------------------|-------FSC 556---Izzy Brake-------Miculek Brake-------------------------------------------Mini-Y (****ing piece of s**t loudener). [laugh]

You will note I put a pipe symbol in the middle of this chart. This is the line after which those standing next to the rifle will always feel like they are getting punched in the face, even with good ear pro.

-Mike

Last edited:
The Carlson Comp isn't too bad, either.

Are you referring to the "regular" Carlson Comp or the Mini Comp? I had read elsewhere that the Mini Comp was very "unobnoxious" as well, so I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Mini Comp or the BattleComp. $35 vs $149 kind of makes me lean toward the former.

i have the standard spikes muzzle brake (its less obnoxious than my friends plain barreled s&w) but this is going on my next build for sure. check out the vids on youtube. muzzle rise is gone and they do say its less harsh than the standard brakes. its $89
Spike's Tactical Dynacomp Extreme
xstdcm.jpg

Are you referring to the "regular" Carlson Comp or the Mini Comp? I had read elsewhere that the Mini Comp was very "unobnoxious" as well, so I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Mini Comp or the BattleComp. $35 vs $149 kind of makes me lean toward the former.

He might be referring to the Mini-Comp since I have one on my XCR and he's fired it. The Mini-Comp is quite nice for not being obnoxious. In fact, I have a Battlecomp on my AR and the Mini-Comp might even be a bit quieter than that. The Battlecomp is a great choice though if that's what you're after and it's effective as a compensator also.

The Spike's appears to be almost the same design for less money so that's worth a look.

JoeS4, if you want to try either one, you're welcome to meet me at HSC.

The Miculek is pretty gentle
t

Yes, if you're the one shooting the gun..... if you're standing next to it, you're getting punched in the head. [laugh] Just ask Atilla. Firing his rifle, and standing next to it, while it's being fired.... are two different ballgames. That's the way most of them work. Still not NEARLY as bad as the Mini-Y though... that has to be the shittiest muzzle device ever invented.

Both, although I have more experience with the Mini. The BC is probably more effective than the Carlsons in terms of actually reducing muzzle rise, but yes, you can't touch the price on the Carlson's. I think the guy that makes them is local, too.

-Mike

Both, although I have more experience with the Mini. The BC is probably more effective than the Carlsons in terms of actually reducing muzzle rise, but yes, you can't touch the price on the Carlson's. I think the guy that makes them is local, too.

-Mike

Indeed. He's in Methuen I believe and he's a nice guy.

Yes, if you're the one shooting the gun..... if you're standing next to it (Miculek), you're getting punched in the head. [laugh] Just ask Atilla. Firing his rifle, and standing next to it, while it's being fired.... are two different ballgames. That's the way most of them work. Still not NEARLY as bad as the Mini-Y though... that has to be the shittiest muzzle device ever invented.

that has to be one of the funniest analogies I've read on here (especially in reference to atilla)

[rofl]

Dave Santurri asked if I was sure I wanted to use the Stag I had bought (as it is obnoxiously loud/annoying) and I gave the thumbsup.

350 rounds at Westwood and I bet the neighbors were thrilled. The rifle stays where you aim it but I wouldn't use another one.

Battlecomp directs the blast forwards away from the shooter,little if any sideblast and it keeps the muzzle down.

I have the battlecomp. As long as you aren't shooting under a covered roof you are fine.

I also have a stag with a Miculek type of brake. You don't want to be near that thing. I have shot at ranges where I've blown stuff from other people's stalls away.

Apologies in advance for the thread resurrection...

7 years later, are the Battlecomp and the Mini-Comp still the best options with respect to not being buddy-f*ckers?
Tangent question, are the thread-on cages/BFDs legal in MA, or do we have to use either a bayonet mount or some sort of clamp-on product if we wanted to go down that path?

The least obnoxious comps are linear comps like this one.

Cheap and the best. Troy makes one called the claymore which like this and it somehow is still obnoxious, I shot it once and took it off. I don't know how they managed it, but stay away from that one... Griffen Armament used to make a brake similar to the Battlecomp which is also fantastic but I don't know if they still do.

Back
Top Bottom