Learning the Basics

LuvToGoFast

NES Member
So I’ve taken the advice of the group, from my other threads about buying a bolt action for short range shooting.
I’m gonna learn the basics. Start at the bottom, and go up as I learn.
I picked up a used 10/22 today, basic one with the wood stock. I’ll shoot it and see what we can do. I’ll post the results and seek more advice. My plan is to upgrade the rifle as I improve.

Good luck to me

I got a 10/22 to shoot at Appleseed before I ever got an AR.
Not much use being a mall ninja who can't shoot straight.

Appleseed was a great way for me to learn basic marksmanship.

You did good by getting a 10/22.

Learn here how to get the proper sights and sling...

Appleseed Rifle Training

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend an upgrade to the horrible 10/22 sights? I am looking to do this without a smith, so something to fit in the stock dovetail would be great. I hear alot about Tech sights, and I also see plenty of complaints of the front sights getting loose.
I want sights at this point, keeping in line with this thread...Scope perhaps later
Also any recommendations on filling the dovetail left by the removal of the stock rear sight would also be appreciated( I emailed a smith for this, haven't heard back yet.

9KDmOtj.jpg

there are other options as well.

These are ment to fill the 3/8 slot if you want to remove the rear sight.
Lyman 12S Slot Blank - Newegg.com

I can dig up more options later.

You can search "match sights" under my screen name mac1911 and see several sight set ups i have come up with for 22 rifles.

Im not a fan of tech sights. I rather real target sights

Your on the right track,and the 10/22 is a great gun to learn on.With all the stuff they sell for it you can go from a plinker to a tack driver.

This a cheap target sight that comes on the daisy match pellet gun. It’s plastic but pretty tough. It’s definately more than good enough for learning and having an adjustable sight for short money. It will mount to the 3/8 rail on the mount scope mount.
You will need different height front sight depending on your typical yardage you want to zero at
Daisy 5899 Peep Sight. Rear sights & accessories

L9A7f6q.jpg

Last edited:
I have tech sights for my .22, but it's a Marlin 60. Can't speak highly enough about them. Aperture sights are so much easier to shoot well and much more enjoyable. I'd highly recommend the Techsights and just find out online how to make the front post stay in the groove. If not techsights, some other aperture sight would be a good investment.

I wouldn't worry too much about modifying the gun too much. It's plenty accurate out of the box for someone to become a great shooter. I think most people will find that they can shoot for a long, long time before the mechanical limitations of the rifle become the main impediment to tightening their groups.

Looks like you’re doing it the right way.
My first rifle was a Stevens Springfield 22 semi auto
and I still have it. It still looks like new.
I did have to refinish the stock as time took it’s toll
but it came out great and looks just like I
remember it when I was 9 years old.

I dont think the 10/22 as they come from ruger are a good learning rifle.
1. Not so great sights, short sight radius
2. Stock fit is awful for most anyone. Its a tweener stock
Not good for kids or adults
the drop at comb is to excessive
It can be fixed though.

+1 for not a fan of ruger 10/22...prefer my marlin 60 any day and actually sold my 10/22 because it was such a piece of junk.

but for something to get you into it...have at it...just know that not all 22's are going to be like that one. it took me a while to latch onto the fact that mac1911 actually had good advice to offer, but once I started paying attention, my shooting game improved overall and i've given up on spending money on shit I don't need most of the time when there's something else that works. my advice would be to try the daisy site like mac suggested and go from there. worst case scenario you're out $25!

couple more weeks until the next M1 garand shoot at Pembroke, so you better start shooting if you wanna be ready :D

+1 for not a fan of ruger 10/22...prefer my marlin 60 any day and actually sold my 10/22 because it was such a piece of junk.

but for something to get you into it...have at it...just know that not all 22's are going to be like that one. it took me a while to latch onto the fact that mac1911 actually had good advice to offer, but once I started paying attention, my shooting game improved overall and i've given up on spending money on shit I don't need most of the time when there's something else that works. my advice would be to try the daisy site like mac suggested and go from there. worst case scenario you're out $25!

couple more weeks until the next M1 garand shoot at Pembroke, so you better start shooting if you wanna be ready :D
The marlin is based more on full sized rifle . Had a parallel comb on some.

Honestly if you want to practice basics and do it from the comfort of your own home buy reconditioned daisy 853 from cmp . It keeps me from getting rusty

View: https://youtu.be/U37RawIZmVs

Back
Top Bottom