leaning on either the s&w 340mp or 442 airweight

I'd save a few bucks and get the 442, people who buy the .357 fire one or two rounds of .357 and then use .38 +P. I'm sure that there is someone out there who is tough enough to fire .357 all the time, but it's not me. I carry a 642 with Crimson Trace grips.

Only buy a scandium magnum snub if you like pain. [laugh]

-Mike

But Mike, it only weighs 12 ounces, great for carry. After putting 5 rounds of .357 through it, I think I better get rid of this thing.[laugh]
I won't shoot any .357 out of my Mod 60 3".

well the benefit to the 340 is i can choose either to use a .357 round or .38+P. i'm a big guy so i'm not worried about the .357
Edit: some ranges in the area i believe don't want people shooting a .357 so the option of using the .38+P is nice

Last edited:
I have shot .357 loads in a 12 oz gun. It's not that bad. It's very loud and makes you say "wow" but it is totally doable just hang on.

I am debating between the LCR and 442 Airweight myself. Good luck.

Both were available at Zero Hour Arms. I held them both. Dry fired them both. Pocketed the both to simulate pocket carry. I went with the 442. Had there been a 340 there I may have gone with it just because it was .357 and give options. It would depend on how will it fit in my pant pocket.

ETA, just learned the 340 has the lock. No interested anymore. 442 no lock wins.

Last edited:
I debated between the two and bought the LCR. You really don't get that much more from a .357 than you do from a .38+p, especially with such a tiny barrel.

I shot the same 38's out of a 442, my old colt agent, and an lcr. It was like night and day - the lcr just works really well for me. I know that it doesn't give me the "option" of sometimes shooting .357, or the "option" of single action, but now I can practice what I carry - no practicing 38's and carrying 357, or practicing single action (did this alot with the agent) and then expecting to shoot decent with double action.

I have owned and shot most of what S&W makes in snubbies. The airlite guns are OK but do not hold up to extensive pocket carry and extensive shooting. The 3 oz difference is also not worth the price difference.

I currently carry a 9MM model 60 with a bobbed hammer or a 49 in 38spl. I like the 60 best as a spare moon clip of 9MM is easier to carry in a watch pocket.

My buddy swears by his AirLite S&W. I found it difficult to shoot. It pivots too much. Someone on NES suggested a different grip, but my issue is that if you have to take on a totally new grip it doesn't work if you change your carry weapon.

Back
Top Bottom