• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lead exposure concerns?

I was at my range yesterday (MRA) and noticed a new sign on the bathroom door about lead precautions:

Not to eat or drink anything while on the range.
Not to touch your face on the range.
Washing with cold soapy water, not warm
Washing range clothing seperately from others.

Lead exposure was never covered during my NRA safety course.

How many of you are concerned with lead exposure and what do you do regarding it around the home?

I haven't once been concerned with it, and now I feel like I have contaminated my entire house.

Last edited:
Of the four recommendations, I'd say the first two make good sense for anyone and the latter two make sense if you have children at home.

I spend a lot of time shooting indoors in ranges with crappy ventilation, especially during the winter when I shoot in two Bullseye leagues and a number of postal matches. The only guys on my pistol teams who don't have elevated blood lead levels are the guys who haven't bothered to be tested. At my last physical a couple months ago, my level was 31 ug/dl (micrograms per deciliter). A reading of 25 is considered elevated and has to be reported to the Mass DPH, who then send you a letter regarding occupational exposure, which clearly wasn't the problem in my case. I'm now shooting with a half-face respirator and P100 filters, which should bring my lead level down eventually. We had one guy on the team who was over 60 and got back into the 20s after a year on the respirator.

Bottom line is that it's not something to mess around with and I'd recommend that anyone who shoots have their lead levels checked, particularly if you shoot indoors, and/or reload, and/or cast bullets. I believe you can get testing kits for taking "wipe" samples of surfaces in your home if that's a concern.

Not to eat or drink anything while on the range.
Not to touch your face on the range.
Washing with cold soapy water, not warm
Washing range clothing seperately from others.

Well, these are the typical precautions I've been taking and I don't really have any concerns about it.

But that's just me. [grin]

As an environmental manager I am quite concerned about lead. I wash my hands and face quite well before leaving the range. While this sounds crazy, take a wet cloth (folded up TP will do) and wash the inside of your nostrils! You'd be amazed at what "gunk" accumulates there.

Of the four recommendations, I'd say the first two make good sense for anyone and the latter two make sense if you have children at home.

I spend a lot of time shooting indoors in ranges with crappy ventilation, especially during the winter when I shoot in two Bullseye leagues and a number of postal matches. The only guys on my pistol teams who don't have elevated blood lead levels are the guys who haven't bothered to be tested. At my last physical a couple months ago, my level was 31 ug/dl (micrograms per deciliter). A reading of 25 is considered elevated and has to be reported to the Mass DPH, who then send you a letter regarding occupational exposure, which clearly wasn't the problem in my case. I'm now shooting with a half-face respirator and P100 filters, which should bring my lead level down eventually. We had one guy on the team who was over 60 and got back into the 20s after a year on the respirator.

Bottom line is that it's not something to mess around with and I'd recommend that anyone who shoots have their lead levels checked, particularly if you shoot indoors, and/or reload, and/or cast bullets. I believe you can get testing kits for taking "wipe" samples of surfaces in your home if that's a concern.

How much do you consider "a lot of time" ?

lead

this question seems to be on all forums from time to time.I believe it to be a scare tactic by some.yes wash your hands do not eat or smoke.alot of us cast which should worse but does not seem to be I an 83.been shooting since the1930s(1937) and ave been up to 45units.ask your doctor about lead and how to get rid of it.he cant answer.take iron or zinc tablets.more problem from cleaning with gasoline.goes in your system.ask GOAL not on the web.
[rolleyes]--[crying]

I've been shooting, reloading, and casting since 1973. About 15 years ago I had my doctor run a lead test as part of my regular blood work. I don't recall the exact number but he told me my level was "well within the normal range." All of my shooting has been on outdoor ranges. I tend to be more fastidious about washing my hands, etc, now then I was in the past. For many years I smoked while casting and reloading. While I still cast occasionally I now use an exhaust hood over the pot and use the lowest temperature that gives me a properly filled-out bullet.

I suspect that firing on an indoor range is a bigger problem then ingesting lead from handling bullets. I do plan on having my lead level checked again at my next regular checkup. Hopefully it will be as low as it was before.

Those of us with infants and other "ground huggers" should be aware of lead brought into the home on the soles of our feet.

Consider having shoes and clothes that are suitable for range time. Don't let the little ones climb all over you while when you are in your shooting clothes.

Do it for the children!

I think I'll dedicate a jacket, pants, hat and shoes for just range use.

What about firearm cleaning?
I've just recently started to use gloves when cleaning after range time.

when im done shooting i Immediately wash my hands in the club house bathroom but nothing besides that because i shoot outdoors every sunday. just recently started to wear rubber gloves when cleaning my guns but not because of health concerns but just because its easer to clean up after.

Lead exposure is a real concern. Lead does not go away without some type of treatment. Not to pick nits, but the state reporting level is now 20 in an adult. Been there this year [angry]

My levels went from 19 in 2006 to 35 in 2008. Since February, I have worn a half face respirator indoors and I use a lead wash when I am finished shooting to clean my hands. I also use "Clear Shield" hand protector lotion when I process brass and reload.

I have taken a natural Heavy metal cleanse through 2 regimens and I am happy to say my levels went from 35 in the beginning of February to 23 a couple weeks ago.

I have always had my levels tested but this time I did so because I had a headache every day for over 2 months.

There has been a lot of discussion on this topic on the Brian Enos Forum Here are the links Lead exposure Another

The symptoms of lead poisoning may include:

* Irritability
* Aggressive behavior
* Low appetite and energy
* Difficulty sleeping
* Headaches
* Reduced sensations
* Loss of previous developmental skills (in young children)
* Anemia
* Constipation
* Abdominal pain and cramping (usually the first sign of a high, toxic dose of lead poison)
* Very high levels may cause vomiting, staggering gait, muscle weakness, seizures, or coma
===================================

The hardest to overcome is the sleep disruption and the lower immunity to other diseases.

Everyone is so careful to wash their hands after shooting but guess what, your exposure is greater breathing than it is ingesting. If you have a mustache or beard, you will be breathing it for hours if you do not wash your facial hair. The nasal hairs need to be wet to work as the filters they are designed to be so use a saline nose spray before you shoot to wet the hairs and after to wash them out.

There are many things I have learned in studying this. I am exposed to lead in many aspects of my life on and off the range. I had to reduce exposure and have done so.

Drinking Milk helps (I can't drink it), 500MG of Vitamin C 2 times a day is good, Calcium supplements also help but be careful the calcium is not organic. Some will have natural lead in them.

Sorry to be so long on this, but if you have other questions, just ask. Most MDs have no idea what to do on this and give the text book remedies that really suck.

Regards,

Gary

Edited to add links

Last edited:
I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter and my wife is pregnant with #2, when I come home from the range I clean up before seeing them. Especially after a day like yesterday at the Appleseed shoot, standing on a firing line all day with casings bouncing off you all day and lying prone too. I go in through the bulkhead and get rid of shoes and guns down there, wash up then head straight to the laundry and shower. I figure right now is the most vulnerable for them.

The symptoms of lead poisoning may include:

* Irritability
* Aggressive behavior
* Low appetite and energy
* Difficulty sleeping
* Headaches
* Reduced sensations
* Loss of previous developmental skills (in young children)
* Anemia
* Constipation
* Abdominal pain and cramping (usually the first sign of a high, toxic dose of lead poison)
* Very high levels may cause vomiting, staggering gait, muscle weakness, seizures, or coma

To think that I always thought it was my advanced age causing me to exhibit these symptoms! [rofl]

Packingungal ~ Many thanks for the excellent link to the “RISKS OF LEAD POISONING”. I thought I had heard or read most all there was about the subject until reading that article. I’ll be redoubling my efforts to “stay clean” from the contaminates, thanks for opening my eyes just a little wider.

Packingungal ~ Many thanks for the excellent link to the “RISKS OF LEAD POISONING”. I thought I had heard or read most all there was about the subject until reading that article. I’ll be redoubling my efforts to “stay clean” from the contaminates, thanks for opening my eyes just a little wider.

No problem. Thanks 6hold.

Great info in this thread!

I keep a pack of D-Wipe Towels in my range bag. They're your basic hand-cleaner wipes, but they are formulated specifically to strip lead from your skin better than soap. They smell about the same as any other hand wipe, and at a cheap $0.11 a wipe, seem to me like a very worthy little investment.

I have shot indoors for 25 years at least 3 times per week Oct to April and it hasn't become a problem even though I have had it checked. I do believe that .22Rf ranges only are much less a problem than those who allow center fire pistil. It seems that the primers of the CF ammo give off a lot more lead than the .22RF. We now have two exhaust fans that run while shooting is carried out and a huge exhaust fan that can clear the area in a couple of minutes if we feel it necessary.
Just plain good hygene is all that is necessary to keep it at safe levels.

cudos to Ned for the "straight to the laundry room and shower" I always bring anti-bacterial wipes with me to the range....

Ask Your Doctor to Test Your Urine for Lead

An avid, shooting friend of mine in NYS had a problem with lead from too much shooting indoors AND reloading. He wanted to be a bulleye marksman and would shoot and shoot several times a week indoors all year round. On talking to his doctor about his hobby, the Doc took some blood and had his lead levels checked. They were too high. The Doc made him drink TONS of orange juice and would consider chelating agents if the lead levels did not come down.

He washes very thoroughly after reloading and after shooting. Well, in about 6 months it came back down.

So, knowing this I go to my Doc for the annual check up, explain my hobby, and he says the urine test is simpler and cheaper and has my sample analyzed. My lead level was within normal range and I have no problem.

Regards,

Bob

. . . he says the urine test is simpler and cheaper and has my sample analyzed. My lead level was within normal range and I have no problem.

Not wanting to be argumentative, but in case anyone is considering opting for the urine test rather than the blood test . . .

According to the Centers for Disease Control, testing for lead in urine is useful for measuring the amount of urine excreted from the body during trials, or as a means of monitoring the efficacy of treatment for extremely elevated lead levels, but is of no clinical value in establishing serum (blood) lead concentration, which is the parameter of importance in determining whether an individual may be experiencing problems from exposure to lead.

Reference: http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/guide/1997/pdf/c1.pdf

Not wanting to be argumentative, but in case anyone is considering opting for the urine test rather than the blood test . . .

According to the Centers for Disease Control, testing for lead in urine is useful for measuring the amount of urine excreted from the body during trials, or as a means of monitoring the efficacy of treatment for extremely elevated lead levels, but is of no clinical value in establishing serum (blood) lead concentration, which is the parameter of importance in determining whether an individual may be experiencing problems from exposure to lead.

The Doc said that if the urine test looked elevated, but normal, he would do the blood test. Hey, he's the Doc, not me!

Good info Dick and being that I am a little argumentative, I will repeat what I said before. Most Doctors have no idea what to do about lead and how to test for it. Blood or hair test shows the lead toxicity. Then they need to figure out how to treat it.

I explained to one doctor of family medicine that they used to have you eat clay for lead poisoning. She had no idea why.

I always tell anyone who goes shooting with me to not touch their face until they get home to wash throughly.

There's a guy on the forums who you'd know by reputation and his handle. It's not important that you know who it is but what is important is that he shoots 10,000 rounds a year competitively at an indoor range. He told me that he suffered greatly from lead poisening but didn't know it until his physician asked him to decribe his week so he knew what he was subjected to. He had been complaining about many of the symptons listed above. Well, his lead levels teseted to very high rates and he was immediately put on kelating meds that helped bring the levels down. Now, however, he takes lots of precautions.

So, while none of us would be exposed to such high levels, we should all take lead dust seriously and make the point of telling anyone with us about the exposure and to wash diligently when you get home.

Good posts!

Rome

I think one of the biggest things is "stay the hell away from poorly ventilated indoor ranges" (or if you have to use one, keep the frequency down and take
additional precautions) Whenever I hear cases of lead poisoning a lot of the times it involves a guy who visits an indoor range a lot or works at one in some capacity or another.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom