• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lead concerns in backyard range

Maybe my search-fu is failing me. If it's been discussed, just point me towards a thread.

Anyway, in a bit of reasonable paranoia, I've been considering the amount of lead I'm tossing into the ground in my backyard range.

For those who have backyard ranges, what do you do about it? Shovel it out from time to time? Switch to non-lead rounds? Some kind of backdrop to mitigate runoff or something? Don't care/don't worry?

I've gotten exposed to enough hazmat overseas that things don't look good for my own longevity, but more thinking about wildlife, the folks that live here after I do, etc...

I think the concept is you have a PRIVATE backyard range that you think may be concerning environmentally
You post it online
Now someone buys the place, finds the post, and sues for non disclosure

Today the lead in your range is not a problem. Who knows what it will be in 1-5-10-20 years

Holy hell some of you are paranoid cranky bastards...

OP, I don't have a backyard range but if I did I wouldn't worry about the lead all that much. Probably wouldn't set up a kids' sandbox next to the berm but other than that... meh.

I'm no environmental expert/lawyer or range design expert, but here are some references I found from a quick search

It kinda sounds like if some of the recommendations for lead runoff/migration mitigation are within your means then it would be worth considering.

Did you or a loved serve at guncats range. Did you experience long term health issues drinking the poisoned water?

You may be entitled to financial compensation
“Camp Leguncat.”

If you’re worried about your berm getting full, just shoot into your neighbor’s well. What could possibly go wrong?

Doesn't need to be pricey railroad ties either. You could use your own wood from your property to build it for free.
Think "Little three-sided log cabin"...

1667420289273.png
1667420384727.png

Last edited:
I've been considering the amount of lead I'm tossing into the ground in my backyard range
How many hundreds of thousand rounds have you fired so far? and are you worried about lead flashing on your roof also?

lime will help encapsulate the lead and prevent it from Leaching

OPs got to be kidding.. you don’t shoot enough to matter. And even if you shot a million rounds it wouldn’t matter.

Maybe my search-fu is failing me. If it's been discussed, just point me towards a thread.

Anyway, in a bit of reasonable paranoia, I've been considering the amount of lead I'm tossing into the ground in my backyard range.

For those who have backyard ranges, what do you do about it? Shovel it out from time to time? Switch to non-lead rounds? Some kind of backdrop to mitigate runoff or something? Don't care/don't worry?

I've gotten exposed to enough hazmat overseas that things don't look good for my own longevity, but more thinking about wildlife, the folks that live here after I do, etc...
Are you on a well?

You planning to plant a vegetable garden over your range?

If no, then stop caring.

To answer a few of the questions:

Yes, I'm on a well.

No, I don't shoot hundreds of thousands, or millions of rounds. But I also don't know how much lead in my backyard is worth considering a problem, off the top of my head. Searched google a number of different ways, but didn't have luck. An article or two saying there's low mobility through soil, others saying there's high mobility. Either way, not something I knew enough about, hence my question.

Don't understand the responses that think I'm kidding....as I said, I've already been exposed to enough hazmat to cause serious health problems, why would I not at least look into whether or not I'm adding more to it or causing a problem for those who live here after me? Apparently I'm not. Awesome.

Thanks to the folks that provided ideas for backstops/range cleanup/etc. [thumbsup]

Mobility is based on local conditions - if you are worried then cover your backstop to reduce washout from rain and sift the bullet capture material (sand/dirt/ rubber mulch...) every couple of years to recover the lead.

Back
Top Bottom