LEAD BULLETS, WHAT HARDNESS?

BulletGroupwithBall.jpg

"Bullet Info:
The lead alloy in our Hard Cast Match Grade Bullets is approximately 14-15 brinell hardness."

div50.gif

Is this the “hardness” that a reloader of lead bullets should be looking for? I know that soft lead bullets can lead the barrel more than ones that are harder, is there an ideal hardness or what? Years ago you could gouge your fingernail into the lead bullets but not in the ones I’ve seen lately. Thanks.

If you go to THR and search on "brinnell" you'll find lots of threads on this topic. I think the consensus is that 14-15 is somewhat harder than necessary for most shooting, but you should read through the discussions and decide for yourself.

If you are shooting very low velocity cowboy loads, youcan go dowwn to 10/12. The brinell shown is about that of wheel weights, and is fine for most normal shooting. I go up to pure linotype,[23 brinell] for hot rifle and pistol loads, but then I also use gas checks.

Bullet velocity and the pressure genrated by your load will determine the minimum required hardness. A little digging on the cast bullet forums will show what works in practice.
The bullet absolutely must be a little larger than the bore or even the hardest bullet will lead badly.

Thank you folks for your input and I will do as recommended and research it more deeply in the cast bullet forums. Sufficient to say that it would be reasonable to load 15 brinnell lead cast bullets if not loaded with hot loads.

Back
Top Bottom