• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lead bullet hardness

I am looking around for a bullet to start reloading with. I am thinking of getting 4500 hard cast bullets from place X. They go for 30 dollars for 500, shipping is free if I order 4500 of them. I don't know if they ship to Mass but they don't appear to say they do not. This is for 230 grain round nose .45, I want to load it somewhere between 800 and 850 fps.

Harder is better when it comes to clean shooting lead bullets right? They list their's as:
SAECO HARDNESS 8-10
BRINELL HARDNESS 14-16
Which doesn't sound very hard to me when some people are doing 27 on the Brinell scale when they cast at home.

30 Dollars seems pretty low compared to the prices I have seen is this worth it? The bullets are made by Meister.

Last edited:
alot of the smoking comes from the lube, try poly coated bullets. I have shot a ton of them, very little smoke and alot cleaner than straight lead. They are about the same $ as what you posted

Harder is better when it comes to clean shooting lead bullets right?

Yes and no. The worst leading I ever experienced was with hard (Brinnell hardness 22) bullets and light loads. Leading occurs if hot gases get arond the side of the bullet, melting it and depositing lead in the barrel. If loads are too light, or the lead is too hard, the bullet will not compress enough to seal the gases behind it.

What caliber are you going to load, and to what velocity? If you're going to load something like .45 ACP, don't worry about the hardness. In fact, bullets that are too hard might cause you more problems than ones that are too soft.

What caliber are you going to load, and to what velocity? If you're going to load something like .45 ACP, don't worry about the hardness. In fact, bullets that are too hard might cause you more problems than ones that are too soft.
I am going to be loading a 230 grain round nose, I am aiming for velocity between 800-850 fps. For powder I am leaning toward W231 based on relative price/performance but I am open to other powders.

Curses! They do not ship to MA! Time for a road trip I guess. I am thinking Riley's in Hooksett NH. If anyone can PM info on places that still ship to MA I would appreciate it, but I doubt many will match that price :-(

Last edited:
PM sent. Your probably looking at about 5.5 grains of W231 to get that velocity. That's the exact load that I use with plated 230gr RN for about 850 fps.

they seemto be the right hardness,lyman no 2 alloy is 15. Icast my own using linotype,brinel 22 50/50 with wheel weights gives me about the same hardness and weight. Just finished casting a bullet for my 45 Schofield/45 Colt using this alloy in a Saeco mould block. Seaco catalog says 230gr .454 dia.bullet.
Mine weigh 224-226 gr and I size to .454.
Linotype makes a nice bullet for rifle but much to hard for pistol or revolver
Brinell hardness 22

I found one place that will let me order, they were even cheaper, 72.50 for 1500 rounds. They don't specify what kind of hardness they produce. We will have to see how that works out I am sure it will be fine. If anybody want's to know who they are then PM me. Now on to powder and caps, that I will definitely have to buy locally.

Last edited:
I don't know where you live but Riley's stocks a good supply of Northeaster lead bullets in most popular calibers. Last time I bought 230 g. .451 bullets they were about $25.00 per 500 round box. Hortheaster also has a website and ships to residential addresses. I believe shipping is included in their posted prices.

Back
Top Bottom