Lead and steel core

Can only use LEAD core rifle and pistol ammo. Can only use STEEL shot shotgun shells. Favorite brands of these? Be as specific as you can if possible. Mainly for .223/5.56 and .30-.30 rifle ammo, .40 S&W and .380 acp pistol ammo, and 12 gauge shells. Thanks a ton for the help.

Can only use LEAD core rifle and pistol ammo. Can only use STEEL shot shotgun shells. Favorite brands of these? Be as specific as you can if possible. Mainly for .223/5.56 and .30-.30 rifle ammo, .40 S&W and .380 acp pistol ammo, and 12 gauge shells. Thanks a ton for the help.

for rifle and pistol, most ammo is lead core. that's generally the default assumption unless it has a steel penetrator, which there was gobs of 5.56 pentrator on the market a while back. Winchester white box at wallyworld is fine for target handguns otherwise I like Federal 5.56 bought in bulk. If you have any doubt, just ask a sales clerk and/or read the box.

I don't buy or use steel but what are you using the steel shot for--give a specific use and then maybe you'll get a specific answer: skeet, trap, ducks, deer, home defense, blasting paper?

for rifle and pistol, most ammo is lead core. that's generally the default assumption unless it has a steel penetrator, which there was gobs of 5.56 pentrator on the market a while back. Winchester white box at wallyworld is fine for target handguns otherwise I like Federal 5.56 bought in bulk. If you have any doubt, just ask a sales clerk and/or read the box.

I don't buy or use steel but what are you using the steel shot for--give a specific use and then maybe you'll get a specific answer: skeet, trap, ducks, deer, home defense, blasting paper?

The shot is for trap, skeet, and sporting clays

The shot is for trap, skeet, and sporting clays

then I would get whatever is cheapest--nothing special required. most ranges or rules have shot size requirements too but 7-1/2 or 8 seems to be most popular.

only caveat is for an autoloader for skeet some really cheap loads can be under powered and don't always properly cycle the action but for better or worse the steel loads aren't typically cheap--so that may not be a big problem.

never felt much difference by brand myself but I'm no distinguished clay shooter! Estate, Winchester, Federal brands get er done for me.

then I would get whatever is cheapest--nothing special required. most ranges or rules have shot size requirements too but 7-1/2 or 8 seems to be most popular.

only caveat is for an autoloader for skeet some really cheap loads can be under powered and don't always properly cycle the action but for better or worse the steel loads aren't typically cheap--so that may not be a big problem.

never felt much difference by brand myself but I'm no distinguished clay shooter! Estate, Winchester, Federal brands get er done for me.
I shoot estate buckshot. I have some winchester birdshot, safe to assume it's steel shot? What about the federal? I have a pump so the autoloader thing doesnt matter

Shoot M193 for AR
Federal 9mm
Steel shot for skeet is basically a hunting load. Cabela's probably has the best in-store selection around here.

I shoot estate buckshot. I have some winchester birdshot, safe to assume it's steel shot? What about the federal? I have a pump so the autoloader thing doesnt matter

no. I would assume it's lead unless it specifically states it's steel. most people shoot lead for clay sports but for waterfowl hunting steel is required and some ranges will also require steel for various self imposed reasons, like if the shot lands on land that the club does not own.

the pump should fire and cycle anything of the right caliber and size (shell length)

I'm not a hunter, so I don't know for sure if steel shot is required in some states to eliminate lead contamination. I'm not aware of many trap/skeet ranges that require or even allow steel shot. I know CA has their own exotic rules for lead-free ammo in rifle ammo, too.

I reload most of my rifle and pistol ammo, so I can't help you with specific factory brands.

As for .223/5.56mm, most common bullet toppings in this caliber are lead core, but there are penetrators and AP ammo with other metals inside. There are solid copper/brass bullets and frangibles, too. Sometimes there are restrictions with steel/bi-metal jackets to prevent sparks and such. Rarely do you find cast or coated bullets in .224", but they are also available (primarily to the reloader).

Typical handgun bullets are lead core. Cast, coated, plated, jacketed and lead-free are available in most common calibers.

the lead core rifle and pistol rule at this club you have joined should be no problem....like others have said most pistol and rifle ammo is lead core. However steel only shotgun is going to suck if you plan to shoot clays alot. Target loads for sporting clays are mostly lead....run 5-7 bucks a box. Stell target loads are harder to find ans more expensive!

the lead core rifle and pistol rule at this club you have joined should be no problem....like others have said most pistol and rifle ammo is lead core. However steel only shotgun is going to suck if you plan to shoot clays alot. Target loads for sporting clays are mostly lead....run 5-7 bucks a box. Stell target loads are harder to find ans more expensive!

Has anyone here melted down lead alloy to mold into ball ammo? I am aware of the hazards!

For steel shot shotgun ammo. The least expensive stuff I can find.
As for lead core only- most ammo is still lead core unless otherwise noted.
30-30 I just use soft points again the least expensive I can find for range fun.
Same for everything else...the least expensive stuff I can find I use for range plinking.

Has anyone here melted down lead alloy to mold into ball ammo? I am aware of the hazards!

What do you mean "ball" ammo? Melting range scrap and molding into new bullets is how I afford to shoot these days.

Ball ammo as used by the military basically means plain old ammo.
Such as cal 45 230 gn ball

So,basically it's FMJ ammo.... you can swage your own jackets ammo. It's a,pretty expensive venture to get into. I know a old timer who has more reloading gear than Dillon!
One of his set ups uses spell 22lr cases for 223 and also another cases for various other jackets.

Here's a commercial unit hard at work making 223 lead cores.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom