LD1737 Bazookas?

Recently during the debate over LD1737 concerning the carrying of firearms in Acadia, State Senator Gerzofsky compared the opponents of LD1737 to “Families that want to carry bazookas”. This is not a debate about bazookas. Such ridiculous comments are only useful for turning rational discussion based on facts into name calling contest of the type best befitting the Jerry Springer show.

The Maine Declaration of Rights States:

“ Section 1. Natural rights. All people are born equally free and independent, and have certain natural, inherent and unalienable rights, among which are those of enjoying and defending life and liberty…
Section 16. To keep and bear arms. Every citizen has a right to keep and bear arms and this right shall never be questioned.”

These Rights are mutually supporting. The natural and unalienable right of enjoying and defending life and liberty as described in section 1 is essentially denied unless the ability, as protected by section 16, is also preserved. The right to defend life and liberty should not be conditional on whether in or outside Acadia National Park. Crime does not stop at the park gate and the right to defend oneself and family shouldn't either.

Often the Right to Bear Arms debate is framed as Conservative versus Liberal, Republican versus Democrat. What get’s lost in the rhetoric is that at its core the debate over gun rights is essentially a civil rights discussion. We are a Nation that values the individual and individual rights over the state. We are a nation of freedom, rugged individualism and self reliance. The right to bear arms is about being a free citizen capable defending oneself rather than a victim, dependent on the good will and favor of government for protection.

The question I pose to Senator Gerzofsky is this. Do you believe in Maine’s Declaration of Rights and if so why should these rights be vacated when we enter a National Park in Maine?

Call or write your rep, lets be heard!

I hadn't heard of this bill until the meeting at my gun club tonight. They encouraged people to call their elected officials and tell them to vote no.

Just goes to show that all the hills and hollows of New England are full of moonbats. And how they love to serve the public, so noble, so very noble...

Back
Top Bottom