• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LD 1884 Gun Confiscation Bill Public Hearing

Notice for all Mainers.

View: https://www.facebook.com/events/378161465994199/

"Sen. Dion's so-called "Community Protection Order" bill, LD 1884, will have a public hearing before the Judiciary Committee on Tuesday, April 3, at 1:00 PM in Room 438."

"This bill gives law enforcement, disgruntled former spouses or domestic partners, and even anyone who claims to ever have been a sexual partner, the power to ask a judge to order that all of your firearms be *immediately* confiscated by police without prior notice; the first you will know of the order will be when the police knock on your door to demand your guns."

"This bill has many problems, and is a close copy of bills that have been pressed by anti-gun billionaire Michael Bloomberg in multiple states. Anti-gun forces sense an opportunity to pass this bill in the heat of the astroturf outrage they have fomented over the last few weeks. We cannot allow this dangerous bill to advance."

"We need you to show up in Augusta on April 3rd to be seen and make your voice heard before the Judiciary Committee. We need as many gun owners as possible to flood the State House and speak with one voice against this cynical, opportunistic and anti-due-process bill whose only real purpose is to tighten the noose around the throats of gun owners."

(please help spread the word on this and attend if you can)

"So much for moving to Maine."

This will be vigorously opposed by freedom-minded Mainers.

(no matter where you are, or where you want to go, expect to have to fight for your freedoms -- no "safe spaces" anymore)

"I will gladly move there and help..."

Great! We work hard to keep our gun rights in Maine -- but can use all the help we can get.

If you do move to Maine, join the Sportsman's Alliance of Maine (SAM) and Gun Owners of Maine (GOM).

I'm in the process of writing a letter to the editor of our local weekly paper, rebutting a letter last week from a guy in a nearby town who considers this bill another "minimal" regulation. For him, it's another opportunity to dump all over the NRA.
For those who haven't yet looked it up on the Maine Legislature site, it was "reported out" of the Committee on the Judiciary on 04/18, with an "Ought To Pass As Amended" from both the majority (7 Democrats) and minority (5 Republicans) on the committee. I'm still figuring out what's in each of the three amendments, but one was to change the title of the bill to "An Act To Specify the Procedures Regarding the Court-ordered Surrender of Dangerous Weapons." I think the amendment listed as S-488 is the one the committee recommended.
I would not be too certain about the amended version of this bill being defeated by the entire legislature. If it does get voted down, it might be a close one.

That damn camel is hanging around outside the tent again.

Back
Top Bottom