• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lcr vs s+w 640

I have an lcr, which I like, i came across a 640 that I also liked. I have a 686 which I live, but it's way too big for a ccw. I figured that the 640 would have a similar trigger to the 686, but I could totally be wrong...

Dont know if anyone has shot both (both are 38s) and care to chime in on them...maybe I should just get both... Ha!

Thanks in advance, ad

In my experience, out of the box, the LCR has a better trigger than the 642.
The 686 I had, had a trigger job when I got it, so I don't know what the stock trigger felt like, but I had a stock 642, and the trigger was terrible compared to the 686. My opinion would be to get a 642, and have Derr do a trigger on it, and that will beat out the LCR.
Doesn't hurt to have them all though!

+1 to all of the above. Out of the box the LCR trigger is great, and you have to forget everything you know about S&W triggers when considering a snubbie, b/c in my experience they kinda suck. With a good trigger job (Derr, Wolff springs, Apex kit) you'll be in a happy place.

If you have to have a .357, go with the 640. It is, however, larger and heavier than a 642. I pocket carry my 642, which is chambered for .38+P. I sold my 640 because it was just a little too large and heavy for me to be comfortable with, in my pocket. For others, it may be fine.

I needed to lighten the trigger on both of them. Very heavy pull, out of the box.

My LCR

I've put nearly 1,000 rounds of standard pressure factory .38 through mine. Not even a hint of trouble. Always feels mechanically solid and the trigger is glass smooth. With practice, the accuracy can be remarkable. I can consistently keep 5 slow-fire shots within a hand print at 50 feet (and I've got little lunch-pickers). I replaced the factory front ramp site with a small-diameter XS Big Dot, which positions beautifully in the rear sight trench. I find the gun incredibly comfortable to shoot (though I've never shot any +P with it). I once put put 200 rounds through it during a single range session (over the course of about an hour) with no soreness or abrasions.

I recommend shooting it with an IPSC-style thumbs-forward grip with non-dominant thumb alongside the frame just below the cylinder (just don't get that non-dom thumb so far forward that it gets beyond the cylinder face - youch! hot gas, and maybe worse!)

Last edited:
I love my 640. I only pocket carry it when wardrobe allows but usually I have it in my crossbreed supertuck for fall/winter carry. Sometimes its a bit heavy for the pocket but the more you carry it the less you notice it. Also being all stainless the felt recoil is less than the 642. Plus I love having the option to carry .357

Back
Top Bottom