• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LCR Range Report 22lr - trouble with extraction

MaxStravinsky

NES Member
Took my new LCR 22lr to the range today. Didn't get around to cleaning it first. I had Aguila Super Extra, CCI Mini-Mag and CCI Velocitor. I started with a cylinder of Aguila, it shot fine but I couldn't budge the extractor rod to remove the shell casings. I had to pry them out with a fingernail. Then I shot both varieties of CCI with no problems at all. Put a little over a hundred rounds through. Finished up with one more cylinder of Aguila, and again I couldn't budge the extractor rod.

All in all, it was very accurate, no recoil, and a horrible trigger that improved a little just with the short amount of shooting that I did today.

Any ideas on the Aguila extraction problem? Anyone else have this issue?

Aguila 22 has a thick gooey material on it. It causes binding in several magazines especially in cold temps. I’ll bet it gums up the cylinder. Try wiping it down beforehand and it might function better. However my experience w 22 revolvers is that, similar to 22 pistols, they don’t play nice with every type of 22 ammo.

Took my new LCR 22lr to the range today. Didn't get around to cleaning it first. I had Aguila Super Extra, CCI Mini-Mag and CCI Velocitor. I started with a cylinder of Aguila, it shot fine but I couldn't budge the extractor rod to remove the shell casings. I had to pry them out with a fingernail. Then I shot both varieties of CCI with no problems at all. Put a little over a hundred rounds through. Finished up with one more cylinder of Aguila, and again I couldn't budge the extractor rod.

All in all, it was very accurate, no recoil, and a horrible trigger that improved a little just with the short amount of shooting that I did today.

Did you test it at country pond fish and game indoor range?

As far as the Aguila exctraction......I have the same problem with my single 10 and winchester white box. They stick in the cylinders terrible. No issues with any other ammo I've put through it.

I've found Aguila "sticky" on my Ruger Wrangler single action, but not overly because of the way the rod works on a single-action.
The Federal AutoMatch almost doesn't need the rod to expel brass... many fall out of the open gate when tilted to 12 o'clock high.

My guess is the Aguila has thinner or softer brass that swells when fired and doesn't return to shape easier than other brands.
As to the coating, Aquila will "stick" even on a clean cylinder after firing a cold shot. No build up in play...

This is why it is critical to evaluate different brands and loads and pair the best/accurate rounds to the gun.

Beth, I'll let you know how my LCRx operates on Aguilas sometime this week...
~Matt

1) Keep your cylinder bores very clean.
2) Get some dummy round/snap caps, so you can dry fire the hell out of it.
3) Stay away from Aguila, they have extraction problems in most revolvers.
AND
4) Do not use Thunderbolt .22LR unless you want to spend "hours" removing the lead from the revolver.
I have never seen a revolver "not lead-up" from Thunderbolt's.

@MaxStravinsky, I fired a box of Aquila Super Extra RN-Plated 40gn through my LCRx .22lr tonight and no cases got stuck in the cylinder on ejection. They all came out very cleanly. I also fired Federal AutoMatch 40gn Lead Round Nose which also extracted cleanly without any stragglers. Both grouped well enough at about an inch
at 10-yards Single Action and about a 2-inch spread in Double action.

~Matt

Thanks, Matt! Glad things went well with your new gun :) Was it worth the wait?
I like Aguila, but if it never works in my LCR it's not the end of the world. I'll just stick with other ammo.

Thanks, Matt! Glad things went well with your new gun :) Was it worth the wait?
I like Aguila, but if it never works in my LCR it's not the end of the world. I'll just stick with other ammo.
Yeah, very happy with this LCRx. Better than I thought it would be. I have been quasi-dry firing it with the external hammer by placing my non-dominant thumb on the hammer and double-actioning the trigger. The additional resistance of the thumb brings it in for a soft landing but the sear and trigger are smoothing out each repitition.
It already feels 10% better than when I picked it up. Well worth the wait... [smile]

Maybe retry the Aguila after a 500-round break in? Sometime clearances have to open up before it will digest them... 🤷‍♂️

@MaxStravinsky, I'm not sure if you are aware, but the LCR & LCRx (all calibers) have an additional Lubrication step that other revolvers do not have.
The hammer axle pin:
It is done every 1,000 trigger cycles (dry or live fire)
Use something light like RemOil
It is simple, but important.

Here is a video on the process...

Additional photos:

Pin Cap, left side. Where lube is applied after a slight push from right side of revolver, and pin cap rotated 90 degrees.
Do Not remove pin, push just enough to rotate.

ADD LUBE on both sides of pin access holes.
1666147316915.png

Right-side hammer pin location:
Push pin from right to left only enough to rotate left-side Pin Cap 90 degrees.

1666147586679.png

Back
Top Bottom