• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LCR 9mm review

395711d3eb6e60039576b05fc250fc75.gif
Very true-take your pick.

Very true-take your pick.

The great thing about America is that we're all allowed to develop opinions about how others should train to protect themselves.

And since we're not living in anyone else's shoes, our opinions are irrelevant. So putting qualifiers like "wrong" in our statements makes us the a**h***.

I'd carry it. If I can carry and shoot a 340pd with full-house .357... 9mm should be a walk in the park...

I carry 2 speed strips everyday,

1665755832825.png
not my photo.

Back when cell phones were bulkier, I carried 3 HKS speed loaders in a clip-on cell phone pouch and blended in nicely... Accessed very quickly, and quite secure.

1665756085398.png 1665756106002.png

This guy time travel from 1950 and now works for Ruger or something?
He's just salty that @Frank73 beat him to the actual best pistol for self defense.

The LCR is a fine firearm. And is great for some users as a primary carry pistol. I'd never poopoo their choice.

I'm still a young, thin dude, so I like carrying at appendix and a relatively flat autoloader is better suited for that than a snub-nosed revolver - for me.

About never leaving home with less than 2 30rd mags for your plastic master blaster or eating cheeseburgers ?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puJePACBoIo

So sour! I feel badly for your partner, who I'm sure is sweet and has the compassion of a saint to put up with all your sermons.

I mean, despite what I'm sure was a fantastic public education here in MA, followed by (roughly) four decades in law enforcement, you somehow managed to miss that you are, were, and have always been a civilian. Despite swearing an oath to the US Constitution and endlessly spouting slogans about your mission "to serve and protect," you manage to miss that it's never been your job to tell others how they should live.

So instead I'll ask, how would you, personally, fare on the Dicken Drill? To refresh your memory, this intends to reproduce an actual defensive firearm use, this year, where a young man stopped a crime in progress. "From concealment, engage [a torso-sized] target at 40 yards with 10 rounds in 15 seconds. You have to get 8/10 hits anywhere on the target to pass the drill."

Now, if my math is correct, you've been retired (i.e. on the dole) for nearing a decade. In order to pay the taxes that you so love to demand from your neighbors, I still have a job. I'm going to go do that, and to pray for your spouse. Have a nice day.

Here's an actual situation for y'all, not a hypothetical. Last year I was in the woods with my wife, walking our dog. We came across three men with two off-leash GSDs coming the other way. We did what we always do - take our dog 50' off the trail to let the other group pass. The three men looked sketchy as can be and kept eyeing us as they walked by; the two dogs seemed quite curious about us but thankfully never approached. I was carrying an LCR. How confident do you think I felt with five rounds and five potential threats? I switched to a 10+1 P365 as my pocket gun not long after that event.

Nothing wrong with a snubby, I carried one for many years. And true enough that five rounds will usually be enough. But, as the saying goes, no one has ever come out of a gun fight wishing they had brought LESS ammo.

Carry whatever you want and don't ridicule others (unless they have a .40 Shield).

FIFY...

The title should be: Ruger 9mm LCR Review: Best concealed carry handgun for civilians assuming you are out of ammo and must throw the gun at the bad guy.

LOL I think wheel guns have their place but just don't get the logic of semi calibers that require moon clips to shoot in a wheel gun. If you want a wheel gun for EDC, I think the absolute best option is the .357 LCR loaded with +P 38's. For pocket carry I went with a Glock 43- better 'fit' and I can actually hit the target with the G43.

I carry 2 speed strips everyday,

View attachment 673078
not my photo.
Back when cell phones were bulkier, I carried 3 HKS speed loaders in a clip-on cell phone pouch and blended in nicely... Accessed very quickly, and quite secure.
OK, not your photo, but a question anyhow. Isn't that a 5 shot revolver? Showing 6 round "speed strips".

FIFY... ...
LOL I think wheel guns have their place but just don't get the logic of semi calibers that require moon clips to shoot in a wheel gun. If you want a wheel gun for EDC, I think the absolute best option is the .357 LCR loaded with +P 38's. For pocket carry I went with a Glock 43- better 'fit' and I can actually hit the target with the G43.
Title is fine. I'm kind of with you on your wheelgun decision there. I would not agree about carrying a G43 in my pocket. Better choices available. A fine gun, mind you, but not for me.
Many .38's, .380's, .357's, 9mm's all available in a more pocketable format.

OK, not your photo, but a question anyhow. Isn't that a 5 shot revolver? Showing 6 round "speed strips".
Yes. Good eyes. I carry the 6-round strips because of the way you load the revolver with them. The rounds are "stripped off" usually 2 at a time and I have an extra round
on me for each strip I carry. They do make 5-round strips but I'd rather have more than less. Unlike the way a Safari or HKS speedloader works; strips allow for expansion of carried round count. They are also quite slim and well suited to pocket carry.

The setup in that photo is exactly how I carry my j-frames for almost 2 decades now.

When these wear out (because I train with them) I will consider upgrading to the 8-shot speed strips...

1665846553705.png

Last edited:

Title is fine. I'm kind of with you on your wheelgun decision there. I would not agree about carrying a G43 in my pocket. Better choices available. A fine gun, mind you, but not for me.
Many .38's, .380's, .357's, 9mm's all available in a more pocketable format.
I keep the G43 in a pocket holster, so it looks like a wallet until I need it. G43 for pocket / summer carry, Sig P220 Compact for normal EDC, and G20 via OWB under a big shirt or jacket for carry in libtard shithole war zones. I had to be in a couple of the BLM/Antifa hotspots during the peak period of that nonsense and had a fire extinguisher size can of bear spray and the G20 with lots of mags. I had a LCR and think it's one of the best if not the best snubbies for sub-compact carry, I just think for me the G43 is a better option. Better options than the G43? Maybe, but I already have one, I'm reasonably accurate with it, and it goes bang every time.

I keep the G43 in a pocket holster, so it looks like a wallet until I need it. G43 for pocket / summer carry, Sig P220 Compact for normal EDC, and G20 via OWB under a big shirt or jacket for carry in libtard shithole war zones. I had to be in a couple of the BLM/Antifa hotspots during the peak period of that nonsense and had a fire extinguisher size can of bear spray and the G20 with lots of mags. I had a LCR and think it's one of the best if not the best snubbies for sub-compact carry, I just think for me the G43 is a better option. Better options than the G43? Maybe, but I already have one, I'm reasonably accurate with it, and it goes bang every time.
The Times also dictate the tool.

In quiet Times, a 5-shot revolver is too much... and in violent times not enough.
When the violent Times start in earnest, the revolver becomes my Secondary (backup)
and the G19 becomes my Primary (main) carry.

I frequently train/carry this combination for continuity of system. (More so in cooler weather though)

At some point it will be perpetual EDC... God help us.

Why a 9mm revolver?
Ammo compatibility with your existing guns, better and cheaper ammo selection as well as much better availability during market times.
Also moon clips are way faster in a reload if needed compared to one with out them.

Taking into account that everyone on this forum should be better versed in how firearms operate.
There is no worrying if someone has the hand strength to rack the slide to chamber a round.
No slide that reciprocates during firing or ejecting spent shell casings.
They are a reliable design and do not jam or have functioning issues as a whole.

You can hand a revolver to just about anyone and in under a minute teach them how to load and unload it safely.
Try that with a self loading, magazine fed pistol.

Less incidents of an accidental discharge during the loading and unloading of a revolver.

They are harder to shoot at distance and slow to reload compared to a magazine fed firearm.
Generally considered as a backup firearm today. But many years ago they were the only go to.

That said if you only wish to own one pistol. Then a mid-size decent capacity, self loading, magazine fed pistol like a Glock 19 is universally considered the best option.

Back
Top Bottom