• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LCR 9mm review

The title should be: Ruger 9mm LCR Review: Best concealed carry handgun for civilians.

It needs to be emphasized that unless things have changed the gun will fire 100% reliably sans clips-our 'vintage' editions have and continue to do so- and we find that spent cases of standard brass ammo easily fall out with a slight shake however the hot stuff may require a more robust wiggle and/or a finger pick out, it has been the rare exception when we needed a dowel to tap out the cases and even then they were removed easily.

With regard to crimp jump; the author reports one incident we have yet to experience the phenomena-many years, many many rounds-no issues.

As soon as we are able to find them for sale we will add at least one more to our collection.

The title should be: Ruger 9mm LCR Review: Best concealed carry handgun for civilians.

It needs to be emphasized that unless things have changed the gun will fire 100% reliably sans clips-our 'vintage' editions have and continue to do so- and we find that spent cases of standard brass ammo easily fall out with a slight shake however the hot stuff may require a more robust wiggle and/or a finger pick out, it has been the rare exception when we needed a dowel to tap out the cases and even then they were removed easily.

With regard to crimp jump; the author reports one incident we have yet to experience the phenomena-many years, many many rounds-no issues.

As soon as we are able to find them for sale we will add at least one more to our collection.

Why did you use the word "civilians"? Please expand and explain.

I had one before. It was so out of time from the factory that I had pieces of jacketing in my hand. I sent it back to Ruger and exchanged it for a 4 inch GP100.

I really wanted to like mine....a snubby in 9MM....great idea....sold it. Just couldn't hit anything with it. Much harder to shoot than 38+P for me.

Revolvers have the same capacity in every State.

You are in error

Not disputing that obviously. My comment was because of the average consumer in this communist state; only buys stuff ofd the stupid state approved list.

Presuming you were an FFL in MA: you would have received-sold and/or transferred to me any revolver I wanted ?

Why did you use the word "civilians"? Please expand and explain.

There are two legally armed 'populations/groups' in the US-the general citizenry and resident alien population both who must meet certain criteria and those who are in the 'professional' population-sworn governmental law enforcement officers or other members of a PUBLIC entity either state, local, regional or federal and members of our Armed Forces. Included in the civilian group would also be former professionals along with all private security personnel.

I maintain simply that our protection professionals face threats and find themselves in scenarios which are vastly if not completely different from those that we as citizens can expect to be involved in IF we even ever face a threat which is not ended by the mere display of a handgun.

It is correct, in my opinion, to state that absolutely everything is wrong with current training and carry firearms recommendations for the 'masses' the vast majority of which will visit a range perhaps three times in their lives- if ever- after obtaining a plastic fantastic and most probably will never fire more than 100 rounds total from their new master blaster-industry induced insanity rather than reality seems to prevail.

Hence my statement and belief that a revolver is as idiot proof as possible and more importantly really is all that WE will ever need but as always I must support the right of anyone to be as over gunned as they wish.

It should not be this difficult a concept, if I am unable to obtain a certain revolver I submit that it has no capacity in the Commonwealth of Dimples.

With primers still gone and double the price they were just 3 years ago and .38 ammo still so-so in availability and expensive, I've thought about getting a 9mm revolver. The LCR is the one DA Ruger that isn't going for retard prices. I would opt for the LCRx with the exposed hammer if getting in 9mm, some primers with 9mm are harder to ignite than others and a cocked hammer hits harder.

If you already own a 9mm handgun and are looking to add a carry revolver to your arsenal.
Then it makes sense if you don't want to keep another cartridge in your inventory.
With the higher cost of .38 special or .357 magnum and especially the current availability issues involved with both of those cartridges.
It is something to consider.

Revolvers are a great option for the less mechanically involved shooter.
Easy to load and unload for safe keeping and this one will operate without moon clips if needed.

Plus all the cool kids use 9mm. If that isn't a good enough reason, then you need to put your .40 down and go clean your shotgun!

To those that carry revolvers ... how do you conceal a moonclip or speed loader?

Sounds like a bigger pain than a mag.

Recently I have been thinking of switching to a pocket revolver.

Probably pretty spicy to shoot. I was quite surprised just how much recoil a steel-framed SP101 had in "plinking box" 9mm.
It was pretty snappy, sold mine after a month. Trigger wasn't bad and it's a fine belly gun, but it's not much fun to shoot a lot.

Pocket carry a small snack Ziplock bag with a moonclip in it.
But a moonclip is pretty big. Where do you put it when wearing jeans?

Since this is NES I should mention, proper fitting jeans. Not skin tight skinny jeans, but also not jeans that look like cargo pants.

To those that carry revolvers ... how do you conceal a moonclip or speed loader?

Sounds like a bigger pain than a mag.

Recently I have been thinking of switching to a pocket revolver.
You have a some options: kydex/leather moon clip pouches that clip to your belt or speed strips. The former are self explanatory, the latter are flexible plastic strips that hold 6 or more rounds by the rim. Loading is done by inserting rounds into the cylinder two at a time and peeling them off as you go. When I carried a revolver, I always went with the speed strips for concealment and convenience.

Broc, think dad bod jeans!
Last time I bought jeans they were Levi 501's and they were still made in the USA![thumbsup]
Cargo shorts or pants for me.

Last edited:
You have a some options: kydex/leather moon clip pouches that clip to your belt or speed strips. The former are self explanatory, the latter are flexible plastic strips that hold 6 or more rounds by the rim. Loading is done by inserting rounds into the cylinder two at a time and peeling them off as you go. When I carried a revolver, I always went with the speed strips for concealment and convenience.
I read about the strips. Sounds like the best option, but slow loading.

A moonclip on the belt will stick out too much.

I have a bunch of moonclips for my USPSA revolver, I should start playing with those and figure something out.

Maybe I will just carry 2 revolvers one in each pocket.

danny-devito-guns.gif

But a moonclip is pretty big. Where do you put it when wearing jeans?

Since this is NES I should mention, proper fitting jeans. Not skin tight skinny jeans, but also not jeans that look like cargo pants.
Being NES you should also know the answer you will get: In the pouch at the front of a jock strap. Works best for a speedloader in "larger" calibers.

I read about the strips. Sounds like the best option, but slow loading.

A moonclip on the belt will stick out too much.

I have a bunch of moonclips for my USPSA revolver, I should start playing with those and figure something out.

Maybe I will just carry 2 revolvers one in each pocket.

View attachment 660372
There are some clips out there that only hold two rounds, so they carry flat, but they're only made for certain revolvers and I don't believe I've ever seen a two round clip for the LCR.

The benefit of those is positive ejection over a speed strip as well as being faster.

I guess if it was really wanted a person could cut an LCR full moon clip to make a pair of the 2 round clips.

There are some clips out there that only hold two rounds, so they carry flat, but they're only made for certain revolvers and I don't believe I've ever seen a two round clip for the LCR.

The benefit of those is positive ejection over a speed strip as well as being faster.

I guess if it was really wanted a person could cut an LCR full moon clip to make a pair of the 2 round clips.
Interesting. So instead of getting a 5 shot reload, get a quick 2 shot reload, so pull the trigger until it shoots.

Back
Top Bottom