LCPII .22LR review

I picked up the LCP II in .22. Took it to the club yesterday to try it out. My expectations were mixed with a satisfying ending. I loaded the mag with Winchester Expert and Remington Golden bullets from the 1400 rd range bucket. I got 2 or 3 off, the others were FTF's. I wasn't too surprised since it was right out of the box, no cleaning.
I loaded the mag with Aquila 40 gr copper coated. Flawless! Then came the MiniMags 36 gr Varmint. 1 FTF. I tried the Winchester and Remington again and the same result, FTF's. I finished with 50 rds of Aquila that ran flawlessly and 50 rds of MiniMags with one or two FTF's.
Going to give it another run today after I give it a cleaning. I like this little pistol.

IMHO Remington Rimfire ammo is not very good. Winchester is garbage.

For me, Federal can’t hit the broad side of a barn in any of my 22s. No inherent feeding/misfire issues. Just horribly inaccurate. CCI is where it’s at. I particularly like their AR Tactical for my “bulk” 22lr.

I might have to try Aguila later, after this drought.

I picked up the LCP II in .22. Took it to the club yesterday to try it out. My expectations were mixed with a satisfying ending. I loaded the mag with Winchester Expert and Remington Golden bullets from the 1400 rd range bucket. I got 2 or 3 off, the others were FTF's. I wasn't too surprised since it was right out of the box, no cleaning.
I loaded the mag with Aquila 40 gr copper coated. Flawless! Then came the MiniMags 36 gr Varmint. 1 FTF. I tried the Winchester and Remington again and the same result, FTF's. I finished with 50 rds of Aquila that ran flawlessly and 50 rds of MiniMags with one or two FTF's.
Going to give it another run today after I give it a cleaning. I like this little pistol.
Interesting. Im surprised the mini mags were an issue. They're usually pretty good because of the round bullet nose shape, even with the hp. Ive had great luck with Aguila. I started buying them during the last ammo shortage in place of CCI. They seem pretty accurate and super reliable. Its not a bad thing at all if thats what the gun likes. I wouldn't think twice about buying Aguila Interceptor or Super Extra in place of CCI

Interesting. Im surprised the mini mags were an issue. They're usually pretty good because of the round bullet nose shape, even with the hp. Ive had great luck with Aguila. I started buying them during the last ammo shortage in place of CCI. They seem pretty accurate and super reliable. Its not a bad thing at all if thats what the gun likes. I wouldn't think twice about buying Aguila Interceptor or Super Extra in place of CCI
Might need something a little heavier to cycle the slide until it breaks in? Idk

Its not broken in yet. Put a couple hundred rounds of what it likes thru it then try the other stuff.

Aguila is great ammo, all my 22s love it. The 40gr I find is better than the 38gr for accuracy in all but 1 gun. The standard velocity stuff is on par with CCI SV.

I got an email fro Four Seasons Yesterday that I thought said they were in stock.
im not sure I understand the purpose of that gun in .22LR.
You're right. 22 rimfire can have too many misfires to be depended on in a 22cal. semi-auto pistol used for concealed carry. At least a revolver can fire the next round by just pulling the trigger to get out of troble.

I put another 50 rds or so through it. Same results, Aquila ran flawless as well as MiniMags both 36 gr and 40 gr. Ran 20 rds of Armscor with 2 FTF's.
I know what I'm running though it from now on. Aquila and MiniMags

Boatload of malfunctions....Sounds about right for Ruger quality. Now why they bothered making a LCP in 22lr. pointless. If they chambered the pistol in 32 or 25 acp I would be mildly interested. Unfortunately the pistol has no internal safeties and relies solely on sear hammer engagement...no thanks for a CCW option.

and what do you mean by a FTF?
that typically means failure to feed or cycling malfunction...I think you’re trying to describe misfire?

Are the FTF's Failure to Feed or Failure to Fire? The LCP II has a bit of a reputation for Failure to Fire (light strikes) with some ammo and especially early on. Mine had some Failures to Fire with CCI early on, but I put a spring kit from Galloway Precision (added a heavier hammer spring and lighter firing pin spring), and it's been 100% with everything I've fed it since.

As far as usefulness goes, my wife loves it. Practically no recoil, and light enough for her to carry when she runs. She can keep 10 CCI Stingers inside a 3x5 card at 5-7 yards as fast as she can pull the trigger.

Boatload of malfunctions....Sounds about right for Ruger quality.

I don't agree with that, I have some very reliable Ruger firearms. My Ruger PCC has been flawless, as has other Ruger handguns.
I think the .22lr cartridge itself is more likely the problem, especially since many .22 pistols are sensitive to the ammo used.

But, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.
:)

Are the FTF's Failure to Feed or Failure to Fire? The LCP II has a bit of a reputation for Failure to Fire (light strikes) with some ammo and especially early on. Mine had some Failures to Fire with CCI early on, but I put a spring kit from Galloway Precision (added a heavier hammer spring and lighter firing pin spring), and it's been 100% with everything I've fed it since.

As far as usefulness goes, my wife loves it. Practically no recoil, and light enough for her to carry when she runs. She can keep 10 CCI Stingers inside a 3x5 card at 5-7 yards as fast as she can pull the trigger.

Scott, Fail to fire

Boatload of malfunctions....Sounds about right for Ruger quality. Now why they bothered making a LCP in 22lr. pointless. If they chambered the pistol in 32 or 25 acp I would be mildly interested. Unfortunately the pistol has no internal safeties and relies solely on sear hammer engagement...no thanks for a CCW option.

and what do you mean by a FTF?
that typically means failure to feed or cycling malfunction...I think you’re trying to describe misfire?

Not a boatload just that the Rem and Win didn't fire. Fail to Fire. I put over 150 rds of Aquila and MiniMags through with no failures.

Not a boatload just that the Rem and Win didn't fire. Fail to Fire. I put over 150 rds of Aquila and MiniMags through with no failures.
Yeah second that when I had an sr22. Had to drop the hammer again on some rounds. I'm not surprised

So my last trip to the range was great. the LCP II fired flawlessly with the MiniMags and Aquila again. This pistol is a "fun gun"

Last edited:
Why an LCP .22? I can think of a couple of good reasons:

1. cheap practice in the same size/format pistol as your LCP in .380
2. a beginner with small hands who will eventually EDC a pocket-size pistol
3. a person who has compromised hand strength and can only handle a .22LR and needs mucho concealability.

Friends don't let friends shoot Remington or Winchester bulk rimfire ammo. But I have had good luck with Browning hyper-velocity, which is upscale Winchester.

Friends don't let friends shoot Remington or Winchester bulk rimfire ammo. But I have had good luck with Browning hyper-velocity, which is upscale Winchester.

I just bought shitloads of win wildcat this year and have had no problems with it. Things like CCI Mini mags are better (and I got a ton of those too) but the wildcat stuff has been fine for general blasting.

Back
Top Bottom