Lawsuit against California's assault weapon law

The way I'm reading that... is that the SAF isn't directly challenging the Constitutionality of CA's AWB, but rather they're questioning the language/interpretation of the law as it's written.

If the court rules in the defendants favor, seems to me that all the legislature would have to do is rewrite the AWB to be more clear and concise in it's definitions, and still ban "military style" semi-automatic firearms.

Then again... I am not a lawyer.

Last edited:
JAR actually posted this yesterday. CA's law is a bear and it has been enthusiastically enforced. CA gun owners an CGF have been very aggressive about exploiting the law's shortcomings with things like the bullet button and the importation of "Off-list lowers". Even with the CGF flow chart, which LE agencies use, it's really hard for law enforcement to figure out what's legal and what's not.

I think I just had several strokes while trying to read that chart and the complaint. Why does anyone live in CA????

i hear the weather can be really nice in some parts of the state. other than that, i can't think of a single reason to reside in [STRIKE]mexifornia[/STRIKE], um, i mean [STRIKE]calibtards[/STRIKE] no, that's not it. oh yeah, california.

Cal_Ban.jpg

Thumbhole Stocks ???

WTF ????

A post-ban, Mass compliant Arsenal SLR-95 is NOT legal in Kali ???

SLR-95_r.gif

Nope, its all about being able to hold onto it, IE they dont want us to be able to hold onto it.

We all have different hoops we must jump through to purchase, possess and use firearms.

You are now learning about some of the Californication laws.

Sorry for the smell (California Laws) but dont worry it will come out in the wash.

Cal_Ban.jpg

Thumbhole Stocks ???

WTF ????

A post-ban, Mass compliant Arsenal SLR-95 is NOT legal in Kali ???

SLR-95_r.gif

I have, My MAG-LOCK is on it.

First page lower left hand light green box.
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

WoW! What a F'in mess. The second page of that document shows exactly why stupid laws don't help anyone, or anything. Folks just developed ways around the Autoweapons ban (just like here in MA)... but those are some ugly looking 'ARs'

Yep its legal.
As long as its not attached to the rifle in any way (the activating tool) a cartridge is also a tool in the eyes of the law when you use it to activate the mag release.

And as long as the user does not use mags with a higher capacity than 10 rounds.

my buddy who lives up in Santa Cruz was telling me he's heard of people will wear gloves with a nub on the finger to actuate the mag-lock. Have you seen this, is it even legal? like will a LEO give you crap for it?

The way I'm reading that... is that the SAF isn't directly challenging the Constitutionality of CA's AWB, but rather they're questioning the language/interpretation of the law as it's written.

If the court rules in the defendants favor, seems to me that all the legislature would have to do is rewrite the AWB to be more clear and concise in it's definitions, and still ban "military style" semi-automatic firearms.

Then again... I am not a lawyer.

The reason they wouldn't just rewrite it is the same reason they haven't rewritten the law in the 5 years since folks figured out how to make CA-legal AR's: A required-by-law 30-day grace period would kick in to register the firearms as assault weapons. In CA, this would mean you could then run your previously neutered evil black rifle as a normal AR-15 w/ high caps.

Liberals and anti-gun politicians would explode if the approx 300,000-600,000 neutered AR's bought in CA since 2006 suddenly became high-cap capable. No way in hell would they ever let gun owners in CA have that much freedom without a judicial fight!

Hoffmang and co. know exactly what they're doing: This is phase 2 of a long term 2A Win strategy in CA.

My family and I moved from California last year. At every opportunity I try to educate people about the differences between the laws in California and many of the "free" states.

The key to remember is that if citizens do not remain educated and instill a sense of pride and respect for the history of our country in our children, freedom can be taken away in a generation.

Back
Top Bottom