• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Laws/procedures for private gun sale from MA res. to NH res?

I did a quick search and didn't find the laws, even though I'm sure they're on here somewhere. Can anyone give me the skinny on a FTF sale from a MA resident (myself) to a NH resident?
Thanks,
Jeremy

An FFL in MA? And can they then legally bring the handgun home with them from MA or must it be transferred? Also, maybe a stupid question, but what would a NH resident need in terms of a license or permit to do this?

The transfer must be done through an FFL in the BUYER's home state, so it would have to be done in NH. As far as what a NH resident needs in order to buy the gun, they'll just have to fill out the proper paperwork at the dealer, they'll make the call to run the quick check, and as long as they are approved, they can walk out with the gun. No license or permit required in NH to own a gun, only to conceal.

An FFL in MA? And can they then legally bring the handgun home with them from MA or must it be transferred? Also, maybe a stupid question, but what would a NH resident need in terms of a license or permit to do this?

Depends on the direction the gun is going in. If the gun is going from MA to NH you just meet him at his FF (in NH) give the FFL the gun and then have him transfer it to the new owner. The other direction is way more of a pain in the ass. (for handguns) He would then, in that case, have to get the gun shipped to an MA FFL if it is a handgun.

Rifles and Shotguns are easier, although you still cannot do an FTF. (You can buy a long gun un any free state, so you would just drive up there to buy it or sell it, to a dealer, and be done. )

There's an additional caveat that a person from NH cannot come into MA to buy even a rifle or shotgun. So if he was the "buyer" you'd still have to go up there.

-Mike

Last edited:
An FFL in MA? And can they then legally bring the handgun home with them from MA or must it be transferred?

An NH resident cannot buy anything in MA, period. (not even ammo!) You either have to bring the gun up to his FFL or ship it there.

-Mike

I did a quick search and didn't find the laws, even though I'm sure they're on here somewhere. Can anyone give me the skinny on a FTF sale from a MA resident (myself) to a NH resident?
Thanks,
Jeremy

so your search somehow missed the stickied thread in the main gun laws forum near the top of the lists? It has all the info you need.

I live in MA, and may be selling a pistol to a NH resident. I don't have a NH permit. Can I transport the gun, unloaded, in a locked container, in a locked trunk, to the FFL to perform the transfer, or must it be shipped up if I don't have a NH non-res?
Thanks again!

I live in MA, and may be selling a pistol to a NH resident. I don't have a NH permit. Can I transport the gun, unloaded, in a locked container, in a locked trunk, to the FFL to perform the transfer, or must it be shipped up if I don't have a NH non-res?
Thanks again!

Locked up, unloaded, magazine removed, no ammo in the car at all, drive it up there. You should be straight. Do you need a suggestion on a great NH FFL to do the transfer with?

New Hampshire is quite relaxed about firearm possession. There's no need for lock boxes or other things; the only requirement is that you can't legally carry a loaded gun in the vehicle unless you have a NH permit. Without the permit, the gun just has to be unloaded.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom