• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Laws and carrying to MA islands

Just curious if there are any prohibitions to carrying to, or on the islands off the coast of MA such as Nantucket and Martha's Vinyard? I generally follow the "concealed means concealed" rule, but like to know what to expect, or watch out for.

FYI: I've done it a couple of times...Tell someone at the booth...they have some one walk with you up to the Captain....and you put it in a locker. Come back right before you dock. No issues.

FYI: I've done it a couple of times...Tell someone at the booth...they have some one walk with you up to the Captain....and you put it in a locker. Come back right before you dock. No issues.

A service I can not imagine taking advantage of. I have been going to the Vineyard for 15 years. I have never met any captain...

Opening day of shotgun there is like 70 guys in camo with shotgun cases. They just asked us if ours were locked. If I was carrying concealed I don't think I'd say anything. I don't remember being asked or seeing any signs

Once you are there yes. If going on public transportation (plane or boat) to the islands you are dealing with federal law IIRC.

Sort of depends on the routs, but shouldn't be to MV unless your coming from Chatam, or somewhere on the eastern side of the cape. Could be to Nantucket, but again depends on the route. MA is more restrictive though, so if your GTG in MA, your good in federal waters.

Note the part where I said "public transportation". On a private boat or aircraft do what you want.

Once you are there yes. If going on public transportation (plane or boat) to the islands you are dealing with federal law IIRC.

Interesting. That's kind of what I was wondering about. I made the assumption that since the islands are MA territory, that there would no issue once there. I find it quite interesting that they actually have a "gun check" service, I had never heard that before.

Note the part where I said "public transportation". On a private boat or aircraft do what you want.

I was just referring to boats. Planes have the FAA and their rules etc... Boats may have rules, but I'm not aware of any laws giving them enforcement capability.

Wow, been going there for years, never knew there was a 132 page manual for riding on the ferry...

The relevant section...
"2.1.2 Firearms must be unloaded and secured.

(a) If a person is licensed to carry a concealed firearm, he or she may do so; provided, however, that the weapon must remain concealed and unloaded at all times under the direct control of such person and any ammunition is secured separately. "

So, you can carry concealed as long as its unloaded.... kinda defeats the purpose don't you think?

I go a few times a year. I've just carried and stfu. But, if you want their rules:

2.1 Firearms.
A person licensed to carry firearms in accordance with Mass. G.L. c. 140, § 129B,or Mass. G.L. c. 140, § 131, shall be allowed to carry them on SteamshipAuthority property and on board a Steamship Authority vessel in accordance withthe provisions and restrictions of his or her license, subject to the followingadditional restrictions:

1. 2.1.1 Persons carrying firearms must identify themselves.
    1. (a) Immediately upon entering onto Steamship Authority property, theperson must identify himself or herself to the Terminal Manager(or in the Terminal Manager’s absence, the Terminal Agent,Assistant Agent or other Authority employee acting in thatcapacity) and present his or her valid License to Carry Firearms orFirearms Identification Card.
    2. (b) Prior to boarding a Steamship Authority vessel, the person mustidentify himself or herself to the Vessel Captain and VesselSecurity Officer (VSO) and present his or her valid License toCarry Firearms or Firearms Identification Card.
  2. 2.1.2 Firearms must be unloaded and secured.
    1. (a) If a person is licensed to carry a concealed firearm, he or she maydo so; provided, however, that the weapon must remain concealedand unloaded at all times under the direct control of such personand any ammunition is secured separately.
    2. (b) All other persons carrying firearms must keep them unloaded andin a secure closed case at all times with any ammunition securedseparately. If the person is traveling with a vehicle, the casecontaining the firearm shall be kept in the vehicle, which must belocked or attended at all times. If the person is traveling without avehicle, the person shall notify the Terminal Manager, VesselCaptain and VSO, and make appropriate arrangements with theVSO to secure the firearm while the vessel is underway. Riflesand shotguns shall not be carried among passengers.
  3. 2.1.3 A person who has a firearm under his or her control shall neither consumenor be under the influence of alcohol or any illegal drug while onSteamship Authority property or on board any Steamship Authority vessel.

Wow, been going there for years, never knew there was a 132 page manual for riding on the ferry...

The relevant section...
"2.1.2 Firearms must be unloaded and secured.

(a) If a person is licensed to carry a concealed firearm, he or she may do so; provided, however, that the weapon must remain concealed and unloaded at all times under the direct control of such person and any ammunition is secured separately. "

So, you can carry concealed as long as its unloaded.... kinda defeats the purpose don't you think?

I'm surprised they allow you to conceal it even unloaded. I would have thought it would need to be locked up

I go a few times a year. I've just carried and stfu. But, if you want their rules:

2.1 Firearms.
A person licensed to carry firearms in accordance with Mass. G.L. c. 140, § 129B,or Mass. G.L. c. 140, § 131, shall be allowed to carry them on SteamshipAuthority property and on board a Steamship Authority vessel in accordance withthe provisions and restrictions of his or her license, subject to the followingadditional restrictions:

1. 2.1.1 Persons carrying firearms must identify themselves.
    1. (a) Immediately upon entering onto Steamship Authority property, theperson must identify himself or herself to the Terminal Manager(or in the Terminal Manager’s absence, the Terminal Agent,Assistant Agent or other Authority employee acting in thatcapacity) and present his or her valid License to Carry Firearms orFirearms Identification Card.
    2. (b) Prior to boarding a Steamship Authority vessel, the person mustidentify himself or herself to the Vessel Captain and VesselSecurity Officer (VSO) and present his or her valid License toCarry Firearms or Firearms Identification Card.
  2. 2.1.2 Firearms must be unloaded and secured.
    1. (a) If a person is licensed to carry a concealed firearm, he or she maydo so; provided, however, that the weapon must remain concealedand unloaded at all times under the direct control of such personand any ammunition is secured separately.
    2. (b) All other persons carrying firearms must keep them unloaded andin a secure closed case at all times with any ammunition securedseparately. If the person is traveling with a vehicle, the casecontaining the firearm shall be kept in the vehicle, which must belocked or attended at all times. If the person is traveling without avehicle, the person shall notify the Terminal Manager, VesselCaptain and VSO, and make appropriate arrangements with theVSO to secure the firearm while the vessel is underway. Riflesand shotguns shall not be carried among passengers.
  3. 2.1.3 A person who has a firearm under his or her control shall neither consumenor be under the influence of alcohol or any illegal drug while onSteamship Authority property or on board any Steamship Authority vessel.

I suspect that because the coast guard/navy et al can stop a ship for no reason and toss it for contraband, this is why the authority has to honor these rules

I suspect that because the coast guard/navy et al can stop a ship for no reason and toss it for contraband, this is why the authority has to honor these rules
They operate in state waters,it would be a Coast Guard operation.Don't think they would do it while underway.But they sure could make life miserable in port.

Last edited:
Interesting. That's kind of what I was wondering about. I made the assumption that since the islands are MA territory, that there would no issue once there. I find it quite interesting that they actually have a "gun check" service, I had never heard that before.

The Coast Guard has lots of rules on what may be transported on these vessels. Like the airlines do also.

The Hy Line has the check proceedure. Off season it works fine no big deal. Fill out a form, get in the line to board and they meet you at the gangway. You go back by the baggage area and there is a locker and they lock your gun up. When you dock at the other end you go back to the locker they meet you there and give you your gun back, very nice very friendly. You are supposed to declare on the planes too and the pilot takes the gun. Although I would rather have my gun locked up in the locker on the boat than sitting behind the pilots seat on the plane. Summer is a different story. I was with a friend going to Nantucket on the Hy Line last summer and he checked a handgun he had just purchased. The security guy in Hyannis was a real dick kept muttering that he didn't have the time for this and in general just being a dick. Reminded me of someone you might find working at a certain gun store in Hyannis. As the Hy Line does not carry cars to keep a long gun in while underway long guns most probably get "checked". I'm thinking smaller guns go over other ways.

The Steamship has a less formal system, You tell them you have a firearm or components and it works differently every time from what I have observed.

Last edited:
a81799534321151a7af00cb2f8524295.jpg

Back
Top Bottom