Laws about coyotes on or near property?

rommel

NES Member
I thought I remember reading there were specific laws in MA regarding coyotes or predators and shooting them. My question is; is there such laws? Is it specific only if you have livestock? Would a state law supercede a town bylaw that prohibits firing firearms?

I thought I remember reading there were specific laws in MA regarding coyotes or predators and shooting them. My question is; is there such laws? Is it specific only if you have livestock? Would a state law supercede a town bylaw that prohibits firing firearms?

The law is very specific:
Destroying / Trapping Wildlife
Massachusetts General Law, Chapter 131, Section 37, gives property owners the right to use lawful means to destroy wildlife in the act of causing damage or threatening personal safety. Landowners may only destroy wildlife actually causing damage or posing immediate threats. No one may randomly destroy wildlife simply because it is on their property. It is also illegal to live-trap a problem animal and move it for release on other public or private property.

Destroying / Trapping Wildlife | Walpole MA

I wouldn’t use a firearm if there is a bylaw. The COP may decide that you are no longer suitable if caught. This past spring a “hunter” was caught road hunting turkeys in the western part of the state and the COP revoked his LTC

I would be inclined to use archery equipment or a large caliber air rifle.

Bob

The law is very specific:

Destroying / Trapping Wildlife | Walpole MA

I wouldn’t use a firearm if there is a bylaw. The COP may decide that you are no longer suitable if caught. This past spring a “hunter” was caught road hunting turkeys in the western part of the state and the COP revoked his LTC

I would be inclined to use archery equipment or a large caliber air rifle.

Bob

This.

You can kill it, but you’re not supposed to violate town bylaws doing it. My local cops actually advised me to drown my problem raccoon, but I quietly shot it instead. Hypothetically.

Back
Top Bottom