1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Lawmakers seek relief from frivolous record requests

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by oppressed, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

Jeez i really feel sorry for these politicians!

It must be a lot of work to answer voter’s questions ALL the time

2. 42!

42! NES Life Member NES Member

I believe there is a legal specification that the cost is determined by the pay of the least skilled person who can do the task. But they play games with this. Initially I was told I'd have to pay for some financial information, to compile it. I had help on this one and he pointed out that the information should have been compiled for the annual report. Magic happened and I got the info at no cost.

So cost is a matter of interpretation.

And they keep records electronically, and deliver them the same. No paper, no copies.

But to be clear, the ones that bothered me the most were the ones that were ignored, and when the state ruled that they must "immediately" provide the info, they still ignored them. I had to go back to the state a second time. They had some kind of private discussion and only then did the town comply.

3. Coyote33

Coyote33

4. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

Lack of transparency is exactly what they are going for. In all oppressive governments, lack of transparency is always a common denominator.

When there is no transparency, a government of, for and by the people, with the concent of the governed is impossible.

If there is so much going on in government that they cannot keep up with information requests from the public, that is a clear sign that the size, scope, authority and regulatory actions of government in certain areas needs to be diminished severely.

A lack of transparency always fosters and facillitates a state of unaccountability and that is what all dictatorial governments want.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    xtry51 and n1oty like this.
  5. n1oty

n1oty NES Member

This is the spot-on reason why Linsky is pushing this garbage. It has nothing to do with finances or manpower. The existing law allows the governmental agency to charge very well in order to cover the costs of document production.

Len-2A Training likes this.
  6. 42!

42! NES Life Member NES Member

And it's likely to pass since everyone of those legislators has at least one person constantly filing info requests. And instead of saying to themselves "this is part of serving the people" they are thinking "this'll stop that pest". The MA Legislature stopped being for the people a long time ago.