• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lawmakers Move to Arm Teachers in Response to Florida Massacre

Here's a thought that has come up now and then but always gets lost.

There's another thread asking if school shootings are a "slow moving riot". What do we use to control riots? Pepper spray.

We all know that the gun-banning crusade will never be effective even if they are successful at banning almost everything. We all know what the only way to stop violence in action is with an immediate violent response. We know that firearms are often the best tool for the job. If I'm in a classroom with students and a shooting starts happening in the hallway, I'd want to have the best tool, a firearm, to protect the classroom in case the shooter entered. But firearms are not the only tools available. Pepper spray can be effective. They can be carried on the person. They can come in canisters that can shoot 60 feet. They have a reasonable chance of incapacitating or at least slowing an attack. The chance of permanent injury to bystanders is exceedingly small.

Won't the attacker just wear ski goggles or a face mask? Maybe. Do they make pepper spray with colored paint? If the attacker can't see they can't continue the attack. Slow them down and people can escape or people can jump on the attacker and stop him.

None of this is foolproof, but given that states like MA will never let teachers bring firearms into the classroom, this at least falls under the "do something" that has a chance in hell at being effective. All of this was brought up after Sandy Hook. If that principle or front office had access to pepper spray they might have been able to stop him instead of sacrificing their lives rushing at him with nothing. Why the hell isn't this being done right now?

You jest. Everyone knows a well aimed canned vegetable is the ultimate tool for defending children in a GFZ. [thumbsup]

(I had been wondering why no one thought to have pepper spray, bear spear or even wasp spray.)

1. WATCH: Teens stage "lie-in" protest for gun reform outside of the White House in the wake of Florida school shooting. http://nbcnews.to/2EQtSv5

0:50
    48 replies84 retweets191 likes

2. Roger‏ @presidentchapma 10m10 minutes ago
    If anyone thinks the parents Democrats and Anti-gun group's are not behind-the-scenes . Explain how this kid's got to the White House .Who is paying the parents to sell out their kid's?

IMO, it would (or should) be to train those that will be carrying (on school grounds) how to deal with an active shooter situation. They should also offer free 'refresher' courses for those who will be carrying at the schools to keep those skills fresh. Or do something to help them to maintain those skills. These people should [easily] have higher competence than the police since they're there to protect children.

Personally, if I was tasked to help protect children, I'd want to have some active shooter scenario training before I started that. I also think that there should be a high percentage of armed staff in every school (posted this in another thread).

I would also want the armed staff to have on-body holsters for their firearms/pistols. NOT be allowed to keep them in pocketbooks or such. Plus at least one spare magazine/reload on them. They can have additional magazines in their pocketbook, satchel, etc. if they wish.

I also think there's enough tech out there that can be added to schools to identify someone who's coming into a school with a weapon, that's not authorized to do so. That could be used to identify these people early and direct a response to eliminate the threat they represent. Hopefully, before any students are harmed.

Voice of reason, thanks!

Some random thoughts from a parent whose sons are in their last semester in a GFZ.

I absolutely believe eliminating gun-free zones has to happen. Second, I believe that any school employee who is properly licensed (if their rulers demand it :mad:) should be allowed to exercise that right at work. If they choose to take on defensive responsibility, provide the requisite training. Third, I would not rely solely on armed school employees for that defense. I strongly believe that professional security should be provided by the town/city/district to have that single responsibility. The incremental cost against school budgets would be trivial in comparison the total budget, and I'd vote at the state and federal level to subsidize that cost. After all, it's for the children.

I would gladly take a shift at my kids schools, give me a broom and in between classes I'll chase that down the hallways. Teachers need help moving heavy items - I'm in. Need shoveling or sanding - sure.

I have to go to my local school board and see if they can make this happen, make it voluntary and maybe a discount on our taxes? Even if no discount - I'd be in. I still think teachers should be able to carry it they want - but as the saying goes, engage the enemy as far from your base as possible, not at the gate.

Allowing school staff to be armed, including teachers, is a great idea that will never happen in states like MA, NY, NJ, etc.
Actually there is a provision in MA law allowing for non law enforcement officers to carry in schools. I believe under MGL ch269 sec10 J. The reality of getting “written permission” makes it extremely difficult though.

Actually there is a provision in MA law allowing for non law enforcement officers to carry in schools. I believe under MGL ch269 sec10 J. The reality of getting “written permission” makes it extremely difficult though.
True, I believe someone like the Superintendent can authorize carry, but I expect that approval would be extremely hard to get for regular citizens. And LEO are exempt, as is often the case with gun laws in MA.

True, I believe someone like the Superintendent can authorize carry, but I expect that approval would be extremely hard to get for regular citizens. And LEO are exempt, as is often the case with gun laws in MA.
I think the law reads “officer in charge of the school”, but you would definitely need a principal if not the superintendent on your side. Again, not a simple thing to orchestrate.

I think the law reads “officer in charge of the school”, but you would definitely need a principal if not the superintendent on your side. Again, not a simple thing to orchestrate.

Private schools could accomplish this if they really want to. Send out a huge message. How’d you like to be the super in the school down the road from a private school that has this at the door:
C7E99A4E-99FC-453F-B44A-C28DC09E36E2.jpeg

This.

I cited that same section in another thread. Hopefully, by now, all 3500 school shooter threads have this covered...

The reality is that few principals will feel qualified to say yes on their own authority, so they’ll ask the super, who’ll ask the SC, and then it becomes a Thing. Or a policy, anyway. I wish principals would use the authority the law gives them, but then I wish that about principals A LOT.

**sigh**

I was skipping stations and came across NPR talking gun. (yes I know I should have kept going)

The first interview was pro gun for arming teachers and he did a good job.
The next lady was from the black caucus. Her argument against arming teachers was that teachers would use it as an excuse to shoot minority students and them claim self defense by taking advantage of the stand your ground law.

You just can't make this crap up.

I have a feeling this won't last long and it's too bad too because it really needs to happen. A good training program with an empowered on point person able to act quickly in a bad situation could turn the tables and reduce loss of life to zero, maybe even the shooter.

Back
Top Bottom