• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lawmakers Move to Arm Teachers in Response to Florida Massacre

Reptile

NES Member
‘Our children are sitting ducks in gun-free schools…’
Lawmakers in various states have launched proposals to arm educators after a mass shooting this week left 17 dead at a Florida high school.

In the Sunshine State, where suspected gunman Nikolas Cruz carried out his rampage Wednesday, legislators are drafting an amendment to a bill which would legalize the carry of firearms on school grounds.

“If passed, the bill would let employees carry guns on campuses if they passed background checks and were certified with training created by the state’s Criminal Justice Standards,” reports WFAA.

In North Carolina where concealed carry is currently prohibited inside schools, Rep. Larry Pittman said he’s working with police to draft a bill which would train and arm school faculty members.

A Republican lawmaker in Alabama is also sponsoring a bill allowing “some public school teachers and administrators to receive firearms training and be authorized to carry concealed weapons during the school day,” according to AL.com.
Lawmakers Move to Arm Teachers In Response to Florida Massacre

Finally, something that sounds like common sense. The best part is that they don’t have to arm all the teachers, just take away the GFZ shit. A potential shooter is going to rethink their target if they’re playing Russian roulette on who is going to start shooting back.

I'm sure that there would be many gun clubs that would allow free use of their facilities to train school employees that need to qualify. Gun manufacturers would offer discounts and NRA instructors/RSOs would volunteer their time. It would end up being way less expensive than many people think. We would need to offer some kind of umbrella insurance protection too.

I do t understand what all this training requirement BS is about? A supposedly ‘trained and qualifies’ cop shot himself in the leg responding to the incident. What good did his training do?

Some people can handle firearms. Some can also handle them under stress, some can’t. Most know which category they fall into if they are being honest with themselves.

I'm sure that there would be many gun clubs that would allow free use of their facilities to train school employees that need to qualify. Gun manufacturers would offer discounts and NRA instructors/RSOs would volunteer their time. It would end up being way less expensive than many people think. We would need to offer some kind of umbrella insurance protection too.

I don't have instructor credentials, but I would be more than happy to volunteer my time to help out at these sorts of training classes. I know quite a few others who would be happy to volunteer as well.

I do t understand what all this training requirement BS is about? A supposedly ‘trained and qualifies’ cop shot himself in the leg responding to the incident. What good did his training do?

Some people can handle firearms. Some can also handle them under stress, some can’t. Most know which category they fall into if they are being honest with themselves.
IMO, it would (or should) be to train those that will be carrying (on school grounds) how to deal with an active shooter situation. They should also offer free 'refresher' courses for those who will be carrying at the schools to keep those skills fresh. Or do something to help them to maintain those skills. These people should [easily] have higher competence than the police since they're there to protect children.

Personally, if I was tasked to help protect children, I'd want to have some active shooter scenario training before I started that. I also think that there should be a high percentage of armed staff in every school (posted this in another thread).

I would also want the armed staff to have on-body holsters for their firearms/pistols. NOT be allowed to keep them in pocketbooks or such. Plus at least one spare magazine/reload on them. They can have additional magazines in their pocketbook, satchel, etc. if they wish.

I also think there's enough tech out there that can be added to schools to identify someone who's coming into a school with a weapon, that's not authorized to do so. That could be used to identify these people early and direct a response to eliminate the threat they represent. Hopefully, before any students are harmed.

Next question: Were the parents notified of the threat? As parents it's our responsibility to make sure our children are safe.

Laws are put in place only to help with the investigation after the crime "NOT BEFORE"

What you'll end up seeing is that just the possibility that someone at the school may be armed and able to shoot back will cause a reduction in these atrocities. These cowards target schools because of the lax security and the extra media attention they'll get by targeting children. In a large percentage of cases, these cowards commit suicide the instant they encounter armed resistance. They're not looking for a confrontation and just knowing that's what they're likely to get by targeting the school will stop them before they even get started.

Arming teachers and other staff members makes more sense to me than hiring outside "security" people, especially if they were to be in some kind of uniform. A uniform will make whoever is wearing it one of the first probable targets. If outside security is used, they should, at least, NOT be uniformed, but dressed as any other teacher/staff may be, (think Federal Air Marshall).

As long as they are well trained it makes sense, If they don't want to arm teachers then hire trained armed security, to be at the schools. ex or retired military comes to mind. I am in, I could use a change in employment for the next 5 years before I retire.
Heck, this sounds like the perfect pre retirement gig. With good training .and good equipment.

For serious. How many people would put their lives between an active shooter and school children.

./raises hand

This needs to be all over Twitter and Failbook .

Poll. "would you step in front of children to save their lives? If yes, support giving people the chance to do so today! "

r‏ @presidentchapma 43m43 minutes ago
Replying to @thehill
I invite CNN to report the truth! Law enforcement , school officials all knew about the threat and did nothing.ITS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE PARENTS TO PROTECT THEIR CHILDREN. Sitting on your ass and letting the Democrats take away that right is stupid. Stand up for your CHILDREN

Last edited:
IMO, it would (or should) be to train those that will be carrying (on school grounds) how to deal with an active shooter situation. They should also offer free 'refresher' courses for those who will be carrying at the schools to keep those skills fresh. Or do something to help them to maintain those skills. These people should [easily] have higher competence than the police since they're there to protect children.

Personally, if I was tasked to help protect children, I'd want to have some active shooter scenario training before I started that. I also think that there should be a high percentage of armed staff in every school (posted this in another thread).

I would also want the armed staff to have on-body holsters for their firearms/pistols. NOT be allowed to keep them in pocketbooks or such. Plus at least one spare magazine/reload on them. They can have additional magazines in their pocketbook, satchel, etc. if they wish.

I also think there's enough tech out there that can be added to schools to identify someone who's coming into a school with a weapon, that's not authorized to do so. That could be used to identify these people early and direct a response to eliminate the threat they represent. Hopefully, before any students are harmed.

I agree with everything you wrote.

NRA Instructors can teach the basics of gun safety but when it comes to intervening in an active shooter scenario, the training needed for that is very, very different.

What you'll end up seeing is that just the possibility that someone at the school may be armed and able to shoot back will cause a reduction in these atrocities. These cowards target schools because of the lax security and the extra media attention they'll get by targeting children. In a large percentage of cases, these cowards commit suicide the instant they encounter armed resistance. They're not looking for a confrontation and just knowing that's what they're likely to get by targeting the school will stop them before they even get started.

The uncertainty of being intercepted before they accomplish their dastardly deed is enough to dissuade many of those that would think to do such a thing.

Arming teachers and other staff members makes more sense to me than hiring outside "security" people, especially if they were to be in some kind of uniform. A uniform will make whoever is wearing it one of the first probable targets. If outside security is used, they should, at least, NOT be uniformed, but dressed as any other teacher/staff may be, (think Federal Air Marshall).

I thought FAMs were required to wear business suits. At least that was true when they first instigated the program. Hopefully not true anymore. I agree though, don't have them stand there with a bullseye on their back/front.

Allowing school staff to be armed, including teachers, is a great idea that will never happen in states like MA, NY, NJ, etc.

You are right. MA will almost certainly do more gun banning instead.

As long as they are well trained it makes sense, If they don't want to arm teachers then hire trained armed security, to be at the schools. ex or retired military comes to mind. I am in, I could use a change in employment for the next 5 years before I retire.
Yep

I hope more state legislatures introduce similar bills. Federally almost nothing can get passed that's not a spending bill when Republicans are in charge and a Republican is president, so it's up to the states to allow the schools to protect themselves.

this should have been in the gun free zone bill long ago. but now they realize that the quickest way to eliminate an evil doer is to have resistance there all the time and that as well meaning as it is the police response time isn't cutting it as one minute is a minute too long.

I hope more state legislatures introduce similar bills. Federally almost nothing can get passed that's not a spending bill when Republicans are in charge and a Republican is president, so it's up to the states to allow the schools to protect themselves.

Mass won't. It wouldn't give them any ammo for their anti 2A agenda.

I’m a teacher, so I think about this kind of thing A LOT.

Of course I believe in armed teachers; there’s no doubt in my mind that’s needed. But my concern is for an armed teacher stalking a shooter when the cops come in, and getting wasted before he can identify himself. And even if the cops don’t shoot him, they’ll waste precious time disarming him then and there as per SOP.

So my feeling is that armed teachers should not be hunting shooters through the building. The risk of blue-on-blue is too great. Their role should be defensive; they should be prepared to blow away anything that comes through their door, while seeking opportunities to get themselves and their students out. Teachers should not become LEOs, but they should be ready to defend themselves and their kids.

I’m a teacher, so I think about this kind of thing A LOT.

Of course I believe in armed teachers; there’s no doubt in my mind that’s needed. But my concern is for an armed teacher stalking a shooter when the cops come in, and getting wasted before he can identify himself. And even if the cops don’t shoot him, they’ll waste precious time disarming him then and there as per SOP.

So my feeling is that armed teachers should not be hunting shooters through the building. The risk of blue-on-blue is too great. Their role should be defensive; they should be prepared to blow away anything that comes through their door, while seeking opportunities to get themselves and their students out. Teachers should not become LEOs, but they should be ready to defend themselves and their kids.
That's why they would need specialized training on when to act, how to act and how to deal with arriving troops.

That's why they would need specialized training on when to act, how to act and how to deal with arriving troops.

In that case, the town might as well turn willing teachers into auxiliary cops. It would amount to about the same thing.

Come to think of it...

Here's a thought that has come up now and then but always gets lost.

There's another thread asking if school shootings are a "slow moving riot". What do we use to control riots? Pepper spray.

We all know that the gun-banning crusade will never be effective even if they are successful at banning almost everything. We all know what the only way to stop violence in action is with an immediate violent response. We know that firearms are often the best tool for the job. If I'm in a classroom with students and a shooting starts happening in the hallway, I'd want to have the best tool, a firearm, to protect the classroom in case the shooter entered. But firearms are not the only tools available. Pepper spray can be effective. They can be carried on the person. They can come in canisters that can shoot 60 feet. They have a reasonable chance of incapacitating or at least slowing an attack. The chance of permanent injury to bystanders is exceedingly small.

Won't the attacker just wear ski goggles or a face mask? Maybe. Do they make pepper spray with colored paint? If the attacker can't see they can't continue the attack. Slow them down and people can escape or people can jump on the attacker and stop him.

None of this is foolproof, but given that states like MA will never let teachers bring firearms into the classroom, this at least falls under the "do something" that has a chance in hell at being effective. All of this was brought up after Sandy Hook. If that principle or front office had access to pepper spray they might have been able to stop him instead of sacrificing their lives rushing at him with nothing. Why the hell isn't this being done right now?

Back
Top Bottom