1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

LAWMAKERS DEMAND GOOGLE SCRAP ANTI-HUNTING AD POLICY

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mikeyp, May 6, 2019.

1. mikeyp

mikeyp NES Member

Lawmakers Demand Google Scrap Anti-Hunting Ad Policy :: Guns.com

Two lawmakers say Google’s stance on refusing to run paid ads for pro-hunting groups steps on centuries of the country’s hunting legacy.

U.S. Sen. Steve Daines and U.S. Rep. Greg Gianforte, both Montana Republicans, penned a letter to Google CEO Sundar Pichai, demanding the multinational tech company reverse its ban on hunting advertising. The letter came after Google told the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, a Montana-based conservation group that supports elk hunting and the American hunting heritage, that it could not buy advertising as it violated the company’s policy.

“Google Ads’ justification was that these promotions are considered ‘animal cruelty’ despite the fact that hunting is a core part of our natural heritage, a major component in environmental and wildlife conservation, and an integral part of our outdoor economy,” says the letter.

HorizontalHunter likes this.
  2. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Google is weird. Ron wanted to run some ads for TFW - he can't cuz blades. Weirder: his wife is a massage therapist, and SHE can't cuz... dunno, maybe they equate LMTs with this type:
    [​IMG]

3. SSShooter

SSShooter NES Member

Yet they are a non-government agency and have no requirement to allow the advertising. I think it's a stupid policy, but lawmakers shouldn't be trying to force them to change it. This is no different than the lawmakers that tried to pressure KTP into not longer selling guns.

4. StevieP

StevieP NES Member

IMNSHO, if the advertising isn't for something that's illegal, it should be allowed, in all cases.

5. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Well...

The Deplatforming Wars, Part I: Screwed by Cox - Taki's Magazine

6. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

That's a slippery slope.

Let's say you own a shooting magazine. And some liberal group wants to come up and put a full-page ad in your magazine for anti-everything. It's tasteless, it will grossly offend your readers and borders on obscene. You should be REQUIRED to take the ad in your private magazine?

Now you're thinking, "Oh yeah, but I'd put stuff on either side of it explaining how much of a D-word they are and people would love me."

Let's say you have a website and you can't control the ad placement at all - they just pop up so you can't have something that rebuts it.

NOW what do you do????

Let's go a step further. . . . you aren't Google. You are some website that caters to kids. But you need ad revenue to run the site. And an ad appears advertising Butt-Stuff for Men, a numbing cream. NOW what do you do???

Remember. Google ads is this:

This isn't about ads on Google. It's about ads on other sites. What I'd advocate as a simple solution is that Google allows platforms to opt in or out of categories. Again, as a gun group, I may not want political ads or something. Maybe if I have a legit massage website, I don't want massage ads - because it's competition. But letting the "consumer" (here meaning the people who are having the ads appear on their site) choose seems the most sensible alternative.

By and large, I don't support laws that "make" private parties "have" to do things. (I say by-and-large b/c someone will think of an exception by noon today.)

whacko and StevieP like this.
  7. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan

All the more reason they need to face a good old fashioned anti-trust grilling.

amm5061 likes this.
  8. Cipher

Cipher NES Member

Good. Make big tech show some damn loyalty to this country and its culture for once.

9. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Pigs will grow wings and fly first.

The reason big tech is Big Tech is not because they have built the better mousetrap, but because they have been applying the proper degree of oral... supplication is the word?

10. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    Meh. If a private company wants to limit who says what, in their venue, that's very American, to me.

My house, my rules. That applies to everyone's house.

NES is the same....people have transgressed, and been banned.

Google is playing the America game, quite well. And, like it or not, the country, and its culture are changing. For better or for worse? Who can tell? (Except One-Eyed Jack, of course).

IIRC, "Make the Colonials show some damn loyalty to this country and its culture for once." was a causus belli around here, some time back. (Cut and pasted, cuz irony).

Mesatchornug likes this.
  11. whatluck

whatluck

Except youtube and google get public funding, they claim to be publishers OR content providers, depending on which suits them better at the time.

Cipher likes this.
  12. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

In the next decade, internet companies will be forced by court edict to stop straddling. Either you are X or you are Y. You are either a publisher and are bound by those rules or not. Pick one and stick with it. No lane swapping.

I'm not really frustrated by this. We live in interesting times. The laws created 200 years ago don't apply so easily anymore. It's time for some work to ensure the old rules can apply "fairly" to all.

13. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Used to be. But we have the Right to thank for f***ing this particular dog:

The Deplatforming Wars, Part I: Screwed by Cox - Taki's Magazine

14. PeterC

PeterC NES Member

Yeah, tell that to the railroads, oil companies, telecomms (ie, AT&T) - Antitrust. When you get so large that you are the only option then you will get broken up. Or regulated to your eye teeth so that you become an equal opportunity platform. And then you will still get broken up as you try to wriggle around the new rules.

Whutmeworry likes this.
  15. wilson911

wilson911

Yes!! And all bakeries must make cakes for weddings they morally oppose. And all men's clubs must be allowed to admit women. And NES must also post anti-gun advertising.

Sorry, it's their business, their rules. Government should not have a say in who they allow to advertise.

16. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad NES Member

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that maybe it wouldn't have been such a bad thing if Y2K had actually happened?