• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Law for Non-resident through Mass and New York with guns

Guys, seriously, even if you get pulled over no one is going to be searching your car. You're overcomplicating this. Follow the law, don't speed, stay on the highway, and you'll be just fine.

This so much. It's really not that hard, and if you take the I-84 route from CT into PA it takes maybe an hour and a half. Just don't speed or drive like a jackass.

If you do get pulled over, do the normal procedure. Be polite, have license and registration ready, don't talk yourself into a jail cell, take your ticket and go on with your life.

Non resident LTC provides LIFETIME protection...since when?

Since at least the C. 180 Acts of 1998 (GCA). It's in MGL C. 140, making it a civil offense ONLY. However, I testified in a case where they charged the guy with illegal possession since he had an expired lifetime FID. The charge was dropped, but the ADA and police still charged him, taxpayers paid for his legal defense (including a PI and myself) to get those and other charges dropped.

I live in MA and have family in OH, and I drive out a few times every year to visit. I take firearms every time to shoot on my brother's farm - long guns, handguns, and ammo, always in separate locked containers. Generally I set the cruise control at 74 and take I-90 to I-87 to I-88 to I-86 and back to 90 to Northern Ohio - going South to PA first is hours out of the way.

This May I was stopped for speeding in Western NY, on my way back to MA (didn't have the cruise control set). Radar got me at 79 in a 65, and the state trooper wrote me a ticket for 74 because, he said, I pulled over immediately and safely, was polite and courteous the entire time, had license and registration and no other violations in NY. He never asked to search the car, and I took the ticket and drove on. It cost $168 to reminded me not to speed, and when I drive out in November I'm taking my M1, a 1911, my 39A, and hopefully a 1917 revolver I buy between now and then.

So more or less a happy ending in this case, although it could have been better and it could have been worse. The best advice is probably pack legally and drive safely.

J'ever notice that there is about 22329234238 state cops within 50 miles of the border and virtually none in-between on 90??? You'll get a smattering south of Buffalo just b/c of international crossings. But they basically sit at the far East and far West sides of 90. Drove through in April. I was shocked at how many speed traps I saw between the MA border and Albany.

J'ever notice that there is about 22329234238 state cops within 50 miles of the border and virtually none in-between on 90??? You'll get a smattering south of Buffalo just b/c of international crossings. But they basically sit at the far East and far West sides of 90. Drove through in April. I was shocked at how many speed traps I saw between the MA border and Albany.

Most definitely. On I-86, I see the most from the PA border to about Cuba, but the worst is Hinsdale. The troopers from MA to Albany I just chalk up to the volume of traffic in the capital area.

Since at least the C. 180 Acts of 1998 (GCA). It's in MGL C. 140, making it a civil offense ONLY. However, I testified in a case where they charged the guy with illegal possession since he had an expired lifetime FID. The charge was dropped, but the ADA and police still charged him, taxpayers paid for his legal defense (including a PI and myself) to get those and other charges dropped.

Ah...so even if non resident LTC is expired you are protected?

That is nice of this POS State.

"There's nothing illegal in the vehicle, officer".

I just drove the length of the NY Thruway with a literal truckload of "assault rifles" and "hi-cap" mags.
Speed limit is 65. Pin the cruise control at 69.
I defy you to NOT stop to take a leak on that stretch. It's a LONG way.
Stop worrying and just go.

Over $18 in tolls each way!

Why would you say "there is nothing illegal in the vehicle"?

That sounds like you are asking for a search.

How about: "here is my license and registration officer" followed by keeping your mouth shut and being polite.

Why would you say "there is nothing illegal in the vehicle"?

That sounds like you are asking for a search.

How about: "here is my license and registration officer" followed by keeping your mouth shut and being polite.
That's the reply if a cop asks you whats in the vehicle.

You need ATF permission to do that anyways.

Why are you so scared to do what's legal?

Guys, seriously, even if you get pulled over no one is going to be searching your car. You're overcomplicating this. Follow the law, don't speed, stay on the highway, and you'll be just fine.

Well, if you take adequate 4A-buffering precautions, nobody will be searching your car. But if some guy is doing this with an AMC gremlin with rust holes in it, a tailight out/crushed, a "keep honking, im reloading" next to the "bad cop, no donut" bumper stickers, and some doskocil cases and targets in plain view in the back seat, etc, things might turn out differently. [laugh]

-Mike

You're not actually implying that Mass HASNT willfully violated FOPA and peoples rights in the past?

[rofl]

Cite a case where someone got arrested that was in full FOPA compliance. We'd all be interested in reading about it. Every person I've heard of getting bagged in MA for unlicensed possession was always one of these "cased rifle but locked and half open on the back seat" or "loaded handgun under the seat" type deals. I've never heard of someone getting busted for having a firearm locked in a case. If this has happened its important for others to know about it, instead of just generically fearmongering about it. At least when people talk about the port authority police doing it in NY, NJ, there's usually news reports to back it up.

Awhile ago an unwashed guy here transited logan with some guns and got outed by some TSA douchebag (during a veh. search in one of the garages) and MSP came along and checked him out, and he was not arrested nor threatened with arrest.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom