• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Law enforcement recruiting?

Has anyone else noticed some of the opportunities that have been popping up recently? After hearing an add on the radio advertising Border Patrol Agent positions I took the test as soon as possible. When I went to my Oral board interview and physical, I was presently surprised at the number and enthusiasm of the other applicants. It seems the recruiting push is going well.[grin]

Also, I am a student at Massasoit community college in Brockton, and the NYPD is having some sort of function to sign guys up for the test. Looks like they need guys as well. If anyone's interested, its November 19 from 12 to 1 PM.

the NYPD is having some sort of function to sign guys up for the test.

Although I am sure that you are very eager to get a job in Law Enforcement I would strongly recommend against the NYPD at this point in time.

There are many other large city Departments that are hiring.

Although I am sure that you are very eager to get a job in Law Enforcement I would strongly recommend against the NYPD at this point in time.

There are many other large city Departments that are hiring.

Any particular reason for that statement? They DID increase there starting pay to the mid 40's... much better than the low 30's they were originally paying.

Any particular reason for that statement? They DID increase there starting pay to the mid 40's... much better than the low 30's they were originally paying.

The politics, moral and the working conditions are horrible. I know many a NYPD officer and not one of them has anything positive to say about the Department.

With the starting pay being so low over the past years (25K) they have had to loosen up the hiring standards.

They have been hiring documented gang bangers , drug dealers and documented individuals tied to terrorist organizations. They have many officers who do not speak english.

They have a number of officers on welfare.

They have officers who are homeless and living in their cars in the precinct parking lots.

Just my .02 but there are plenty of other large Departments in the country that are much more squared away and offer just as many opportunities.

I have tremendous respect for those in the NYPD but that badge has lost it's shine over the past ten years.

Excellent post. I was really just looking for an explanation behind your first post. Saying something like that is one thing, backing it up sheds a whole new light on the topic.

XD - for what its worth, Nashua NH will probably be hiring again soon, as will NH State. There are also a bunch of openings all over RI.

you might wanna look further south or west as well. your 40k bsse salary goes a lot farther outside of New England

such a joke what they pay some of the most important men and women. lets take their details and not pay them anything. its fing stupid. they arnt worth the money until you need them for somehting.

you'll find that police officers in and outside of MA make comparable wages vs. cost of living outside of the Greater Boston rediculous cost of living....

i personally know or have met a few from other states who take home $75k - in places like BFE, New York where $30k is more than enough to live on.

I know a guy who lives in MA and commutes to CT everyday... yeah, he hates life sometimes, but dosen't complain about his pay either. (note: he also works details in CT [shocked] - same racket, show up for 2 or 3 hours and get paid for 8 hours work)

SOME cops are just spoiled -

they will be ok...

The NYPD Test which is open to all here in Boston is kind of a tough situation according to a freind who works within. If you get the job (after a written exam and passing a physical) you go to a 26 week police academy and you get approx. $450.00 a week pay, which after taxes, etc. you take home approx. $250.00-$275.00. If you pass the academy, you go directly to a three year walking beat in the city neighborhoods...that's walking all year round, rain, snow, heat whatever your out there. During that period your pay starts at a step one class which is approx. $45K but again after taxes and numerous deductions, including union dues, medical, dental, retirement, etc. your left with approx. $425.00 a week take home pay to live on...... Now to break it down further, you have to pay rent for the dive you live in which has to be within a specific milage radious of the city so you can expect to pay approx. $800.00 to $1000.00 a month.... Do you like to eat? Maybe with what's left over you can afford Craft Macaroni and Cheese 5 days a week and on the other two days you could eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches..... Forget about owning a car...not only can't you afford it with the unbelievable insurance rates in NY and the cost of paying for a parking spot monthly so your most likely to ride the trains and buses everywhere. So to say the job is obviously an interesting way of life and surely is a respectfull position but unless you actually live in NY with your parents or have a place with your family already, its a tough road to hoe especially at the beginning years. Good Luck never the less.....[rofl][rofl][rofl]

The NYPD Test which is open to all here in Boston is kind of a tough situation according to a freind who works within. If you get the job (after a written exam and passing a physical) you go to a 26 week police academy and you get approx. $450.00 a week pay, which after taxes, etc. you take home approx. $250.00-$275.00. If you pass the academy, you go directly to a three year walking beat in the city neighborhoods...that's walking all year round, rain, snow, heat whatever your out there. During that period your pay starts at a step one class which is approx. $45K but again after taxes and numerous deductions, including union dues, medical, dental, retirement, etc. your left with approx. $425.00 a week take home pay to live on...... Now to break it down further, you have to pay rent for the dive you live in which has to be within a specific milage radious of the city so you can expect to pay approx. $800.00 to $1000.00 a month.... Do you like to eat? Maybe with what's left over you can afford Craft Macaroni and Cheese 5 days a week and on the other two days you could eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches..... Forget about owning a car...not only can't you afford it with the unbelievable insurance rates in NY and the cost of paying for a parking spot monthly so your most likely to ride the trains and buses everywhere. So to say the job is obviously an interesting way of life and surely is a respectfull position but unless you actually live in NY with your parents or have a place with your family already, its a tough road to hoe especially at the beginning years. Good Luck never the less.....[rofl][rofl][rofl]

rent in NYC is high, hence a lot of those guys commute from places like New Rochelle, Yonkers, even up farther into Highland Falls, accross the water in New Jersey ect..

*off topic:

i did an EMS internship back in 2000 and almost half of the FDNY guys I worked with did NOT live in NYC or any of the bourogh's either...

their EMT's starting pay was in the $30's back in 2000 [rolleyes]

out of those guys, the majority were only doing it to get an "in" - to the actual Fire Department or working towards their Paramedic Certifications.

NYPD would NOT be my first choice either, based on my experiences.. but if one can suck it up for a two or three years, the pay really does increase into the high $40's / mid-50's quick, NOT counting OT

NYPD had a table set up at the south shore plaza last night. The Lady officer looked to be in her late 20's and was smokn hot. I like hot lady cops.... if any is interested they were set up infront of Sears.

Picked up my new pistol permit last night, and my little brother picked up his first pistol permit. Officer on duty was a female in her 20's who was fairly attractive, but the uniform, gun, and handcuffs made me want to be arrested.

Picked up my new pistol permit last night, and my little brother picked up his first pistol permit. Officer on duty was a female in her 20's who was fairly attractive, but the uniform, gun, and handcuffs made me want to be arrested.

Once you're tossed in the back of that wagon and taken to a holding cell, the thrill will wear off pretty quickly.

Ask me how I know ...

Back
Top Bottom