Law Enforcement Gun purchases denied

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a federal law enforcement officer working in the Boston Field office. I was in my local gun dealer this past tuesday and requested that they order some equipment for me as they have in the past. They said that they have been reprimanded by the Ma Attorney Generals office for selling firearms to LEO's. According to the AG, Law Enforcement Officers have no more rights in Ma than any other resident and must abide by "the list".

I am a federal law enforcement officer working in the Boston Field office. I was in my local gun dealer this past tuesday and requested that they order some equipment for me as they have in the past. They said that they have been reprimanded by the Ma Attorney Generals office for selling firearms to LEO's. According to the AG, Law Enforcement Officers have no more rights in Ma than any other resident and must abide by "the list".

Strictly speaking individual LEOs are also stuck with the EOPS roster. It's always been that way. There were some dealers that stretched that a bit. Not so much now. Basically the dealer only gets a "stay out of court/jail free" card if they stick to stuff on the roster when
selling to individual LEOs. (For those wondering- departmental official purchases are different, and are completely exempt, but I doubt that's what he's talking about here. )

BTW they used terrible phrasing. You have the right to buy whatever handgun you damned well please, more or less. It's the dealers who are limited in their "acts" by the compliance law, not the buyers.

-Mike

Thats true.

You don't have any more rights than us citizens.

LEOs forget this and need to be reminded that they are not special.

The shop is correct.
Unless you have documentation from your chief that the gun is to be purchased for use on duty, the shop cannot sell you an item not on the list.

Thats true.

You don't have any more rights than us citizens.

LEOs forget this and need to be reminded that they are not special.

The shop is correct.
Unless you have documentation from your chief that the gun is to be purchased for use on duty, the shop cannot sell you an item not on the list.

Yes, but it's worth noting that the shop lied to him about how the law works. The onus is on the shop, not the LEO, or whoever is buying the gun. Either that or they quoted something from what the AG's office said, and they are the ones who are full of it and haven't even read their own laws. [laugh]

A few shops (that shall remain nameless) make it sound like non-compliant handguns are not legal to own or purchase... and that's hardly the case.

-Mike

talon119:2179827 said:
According to the AG, Law Enforcement Officers have no more rights in Ma than any other resident and must abide by "the list".

Aww... Poor baby. Welcome to the real world.

When I see you gentlemen getting acosted, mugged or robbed I guess I should just keep walking...dont call 911 were on lunch

No wonder people think NES is anti-cop. This thread should be about how stupid it is that ANY of us have to abide by the list and not about the fact that LEO's have to as well.

Come on people. THIS is not a subject we should be divided on.

talon119:2179898 said:
When I see you gentlemen getting acosted, mugged or robbed I guess I should just keep walking...dont call 911 were on lunch

Are you really going to be a child because you are upset the dealers will not give you special treatment?

ETA - Its the sense of entitlement that is the issue here. As ScouterRick said...the AG regs should not apply to any of us.

PS - Please do. I would be better off protecting myself than rely on you if your posts accurately reflect who you are.

Last edited:
Are you really going to be a child because you are upset the dealers will not give you special treatment?

ETA - Its the sense of entitlement that is the issue here. As ScouterRick said...the AG regs should not apply to any of us.

PS - Please do. I would be better off protecting myself than rely on you if your posts accurately reflect who you are.

Actually I made that comment because I started this thread to pass along information to all the other law enforcement officers who have for years been purchasing firearms for duty or off duty use that are not on the list. I initially thought that this ****ed up forum was about gun owners cooperating and sharing information. It was made clear in the first few responses that this forum is just cop hating getto punks. LEO's are by law entitled to certain rights that enable them to better enforce laws and protect the general public. Purchasing off list firearms is not one of those rights that I am referring to, but this post wasnt about the right to purchase firearms. It was about a change in policies at my store and maybe multiple others and a very poor inaccurate comment passed down from the AG.

Well, I guess 24/7 Arrest authority and Duty to act shouldnt apply either?

Actually I made that comment because I started this thread to pass along information to all the other law enforcement officers who have for years been purchasing firearms for duty or off duty use that are not on the list. I initially thought that this ****ed up forum was about gun owners cooperating and sharing information. It was made clear in the first few responses that this forum is just cop hating getto punks. LEO's are by law entitled to certain rights that enable them to better enforce laws and protect the general public. Purchasing off list firearms is not one of those rights that I am referring to, but this post wasnt about the right to purchase firearms. It was about a change in policies at my store and maybe multiple others and a very poor inaccurate comment passed down from the AG.

Take a look at your posts above. You deserve to be bashed.

It could be worse and you coulda been assigned to work outta NYC. Good luck and cool down.

Last edited:
@talon: Your responses and general attitude don't reflect well upon you or your position as a law enforcement officer.

.. LEO's are by law entitled to certain rights that enable them to better enforce laws and protect the general public.
Okay, so I might be wiling to agree that some LEOs benefit from privileges that don't accrue to the rest of us, but if you contend that you have 'rights' above and beyond the rest of us you clearly don't understand what constitutes a right and your lack of constitutional literacy is shocking in someone who's taken an oath to uphold the Constitution.

If your job of protecting the general public required you to have a specific piece of equipment not available to the rest of us your agency would have provided it to you. If they don't provide it, it's not a need for you any more than it is for any of the rest of us. It's a 'want' and your still stuck in the same boat as we are.

I got my BG380 out of a "special allotment" designated for LEO's when everyone else had to be on the general public waiting list.

And I'm only a PT Animal Control Officer.

[pot] [popcorn]

This is certainly an out yourself thread. Some of you need to chill. The laws suck for us all!

Last edited:

Since when to federal LEOs respond to 911 calls?

Actually I made that comment because I started this thread to pass along information to all the other law enforcement officers who have for years been purchasing firearms for duty or off duty use that are not on the list. I initially thought that this ****ed up forum .

Unfortunately - you came in to this with quite a bit of attitude and then got upset at receiving a wholly predictable response.
Give it another try - this time like a regular joe and i think you will see worlds of difference. We all put up with tons of BS in this world and MA layers on more than necessary because 'they know better' - it gets tiresome. Getting more of that SH!& from someone who should be like minded, but *seems like* they aren't is over the top.

Wow Talon you go off the handle easy! Are you sure your in the right line of work? Please don't generalize the thousands of of registers users here by a few posts.

I got my BG380 out of a "special allotment" designated for LEO's when everyone else had to be on the general public waiting list.

And I'm only a PT Animal Control Officer.

[pot] [popcorn]

This is certainly an out yourself thread. Some of you need to chill. The laws suck for us all!

This... jesus H. I think this one is done.

To the OP: This EOPS roster thing isn't news, it's only been out since 1998. The law regarding LEOs being exempt WRT dealer based transfers of list guns has always been the same since then. Check the MA compliance faq stickied in the MA gun laws subforum if you still have questions about this, post them in that thread. Thanks.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom