Late commercial 1939 PPk range report

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Thanks for all the Warm Fuzzies. I'm home now with the cats, rabbits, and a commercial PPk from late 1939, 248K.

About 90%; not the greatest, but will be a good shooter and carry piece I do not have to worry about. Grips are in perfect condition with no cracks. Finger magazine is unnumbered, and the spare mag is 305K. Bore is excellent. Holster looks to be of Italian origin. Sorry for the poor pics; I'm kind of limited about the house right now.

T

Last edited:
Sheesh.

Guy even finds a way to acquire new finds while he's in the hospital, post-op.

I give up.

Asked my wife to take me to the range for a short session with the PPk (her day off). There was little eye rolling involved with request, but I got to go. I put 4 magazines of 71gr PPU FMJ/RN through it at 30 feet. Pistol functioned flawlessly. I painted a small white dot on the leading edge of the front sight which made it exceptionally easy to put the sights on target.

Most of the right shots were from the spare magazine with no finger grip. I forgot to bring a few rounds of SD/HP with me to see if the PPk would tolerate them. Very happy with it given the fact that I'm one week out of spinal surgery, could not use a proper stance, nor focus correctly.

T

Last edited:
Asked my wife to take me to the range for a short session with the PPk (her day off). There was little eye rolling involved with request, but I got to go. I put 4 magazines of 71gr PPU FMJ/RN through it at 30 feet. Pistol functioned flawlessly. I painted a small white dot on the leading edge of the front sight which made it exceptionally easy to put the sights on target.

Most of the right shots were from the spare magazine with no finger grip. I forgot to bring a few rounds of SD/HP with me to see if the PPk would tolerate them. Very happy with it given the fact that I'm one week out of spinal surgery, could not use a proper stance, for focus correctly.

T

Nice.... looks like you and the pistol did everything it's supposed to do at 30'

Got three boxes of PPU JHP's. At 71 gr, they have the same weight as a regular RN. The points are also narrower than other JHP's, making me hopeful that they would work well.

They did. 50 feet, sunny, windy. The first mag and a half of four I held the pistol too loosely. One FT feed or FT fire, not sure. Put the round back in the mag and it worked. Once I tightened up my grip, all black. We're good to go.

T

Got three boxes of PPU JHP's. At 71 gr, they have the same weight as a regular RN. The points are also narrower than other JHP's, making me hopeful that they would work well.

They did. 50 feet, sunny, windy. The first mag and a half of four I held the pistol too loosely. One FT feed or FT fire, not sure. Put the round back in the mag and it worked. Once I tightened up my grip, all black. We're good to go.

T

It's to bad CMP does not have a vintage pistol match.

I would like to get a war time Walther PP. I like the size and grip on them. I had the chance to get one at an auction a year or two ago, and regret not bidding on it. It sold for under $300. I was too busy bidding on K98's.

Back
Top Bottom