• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lastest build,,, 4 element 2 meter Yagi ,, so cool !

I built a Slim Jim a while back for my HT and manage to hit Paxton, 50 plus miles away, with 8 watts. Well I just finished a 4 element yagi that collapses and weighs about 6 ounces that got me even further! I made a contact not completely clear but readable from New Bedford to Paxton! There is a hill between us that the SlimJim could not get over, where the yagi did.

The cool thing is being able to get into close repeaters on lower power,,,, I got into the local one on one watt,,, with some white noise but one watt for 7 miles away. this is the coolest hobby !

Last edited:
20171117_1324011_zpszpxfwt6q.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

hows that,,,,

Last edited:
It still needs to be tweeted a bit but its an old fishing pole section for the mast, steel welding rods for the elements and the coax connects to the driven by clips. It all is stored in the mast and is portable for hilltop work. I like it :)

Coax is coiled instead of a ferrite core,,, less parts and simpler.

Last edited:
Outstanding. Simple, but effective. I love DIY and low power stuff.

I need to find that article where Boy Scouts at a Jamboree make a 2m Yaggi from a tree branch and barbed wire, then make contacts with a satellite.

Well this weekend I was in Connecticut and made a contact from Lantern Hill into the Greylock repeater with this yagi,,, that is a 103 miles contact with a Baofeng ! I was pretty excited to hit Greylock,,, and the report was I was booming into the repeater! On 8 watts,,, there is definitely a bit of gain with this one. And I made my first random Simplex contact as well,,, 10 miles away and again the report was that my signal was as if I was in the room there! All in all a great weekend and a great build!

Back
Top Bottom