• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lasermax guide rod laser.

I am thinking of putting one of these on my Glock 30. Does anyone have any experience with these units? Accuracy? Reliability?

I am concerned I may accidentally turn on the laser when I holster and end up killing the batteries. Is this a valid concern?

I am been debating a laser unit over night sights so if anyone wants to debate the merits of one over the other, besides the price difference, then you can do that too.

Tricky situation. Lasers are great while you are behind cover and don't want to expose your head for a good sight picture. But using the laser your mind looks for the dot any forgets doesn't look for the "front sight front sight".

Have heard of the guide rod breaking and the pistol become useless with the LaserMax. Even if I had not heard those reports, I wouldn't depend my life on one.

One thing I don't like about a lasermax is that they get dirty pretty
fast. That and they're pretty expensive for what they are.

-Mike

I had a Glock 30 with the lasermax installed... it just happened to come that way when I bought it.

I actually liked it. At 25 feet, POI was POA with the laser.

And I never had an issue holtering it and activating it by mistake.

That's about all I have to say... hehe... I had no issues with it... and I thought it was nice to have.

I haven't used a lasermax, but I don't like the idea of it replacing a functional part of the gun. I have used a crimson trace lasergrip and liked it. If it dies, no biggie, just use the sights. If a guide rod laser breaks, it could luck up the gun. Also I don't like the idea of having something else to do to activate the laser on the draw. I liked how just holding the gun activated the lasergrip.

My Father has a LM in his G17. He's put hundreds of rounds through it with no problems. He's (in)famous for never cleaning his guns.

I carry a G30 and have a few bumps in the night as of late, I think a laser would have been useful. The only drawback is the high cost.

I am thinking of putting one of these on my Glock 30. Does anyone have any experience with these units? Accuracy? Reliability?

I am concerned I may accidentally turn on the laser when I holster and end up killing the batteries. Is this a valid concern?

I am been debating a laser unit over night sights so if anyone wants to debate the merits of one over the other, besides the price difference, then you can do that too.

In the past couple of weeks, I was at the range with a buddy and his Lasermax equipped G23. The gun wasn't shooting correctly, but thanks to drgrant and his sharp eye we realized that the gun wasn't going fully into battery. The spring was very weak, but the gun has had only two thousand rounds fired through it with the Lasermax installed. After seeing that happen, and after seeing the pricetag on the darn thing, I've decided I won't be owning any of them.

I have night sights on my G31, and when I cough up the cash I'll have them on my G33. I like the way they work, and you don't have to worry about batteries dying or anything.

Overall I'd say stick with night sights based on my own stuff and what others have said, but YMMV.

Oh, and drgrant, thanks again for the help with that issue. [grin]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom