• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Laser Sights

I have been unable to find any laser sights for my handguns. Aside from several available for the Beretta 92 and Colt 1911, there are just some universal sights advertised such as the BARKSA Universal Sight which does not indicate how "universal" it is or how it is mounted.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

[email protected]

From my limited knowledge, there are 5 types of handgun lasers:

Rail mounted (Veridian, Surefire, Lasermate)
Rear site mounted (Laserlyte)
Guide rod replacement (Lasermax)
Grip replacement (Crimson Trace)
Trigger guard mounted (Laserlyte, Glock)

Several of the vendors above make multiple styles. Rail mounted is solid, and you can also have a light, but they don't holster well. Grip mounted is the most popular for holster compatibility.

There are a lot of passionate thoughts about whether to use lasers, which ones to use, and what color laser. Be prepared for a lot of opinions.

Last edited:
+1 on Crimson Trace, I have one on my Gen3 Glock 22, it was the most affordable option for me.

The only one that I can vouch for is my Crimson Trace also - you should not be disappointed.

I have been unable to find any laser sights for my handguns. Aside from several available for the Beretta 92 and Colt 1911, there are just some universal sights advertised such as the BARKSA Universal Sight which does not indicate how "universal" it is or how it is mounted.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

[email protected]

Can only speak for a particular one....Sig STL-900L. Its a steady light, momentary light, strobe and/or laser, in any combo you want. You can have light alone, light w/laser, strobe alone, or strobe w/laser.

It mounts under my P220 Equinox and locked right in. I think it would probably fit anything with an under-frame mount. Once zeroed, it has proven to be flawless and totally "dead on"....as opposed to iron sights and the human factor. Being mounted underneath, the iron sights are still fully visible.

My final testing (did many) was indoors in total darkness at two distances...approx. 32 ft. and approx. 20-21 ft. At both distances it was dead on. Ammo used was .45 ACP 230 gr. "range safe". In total darkness, used the steady light w/laser and strobe w/laser. The light IS blinding, steady or strobe. Had my wife point the unmounted unit at me in a darkened hallway, using both steady light and strobe. The steady light blinded me, she disappeared, and all I could see was the light....nothing else. The strobe did basically the same thing, except it was a little disorienting. In each case, the red dot was squarely on my chest (or head)...as she chose. I needed to see what a person would see on the receiving end. Am very happy with the unit.

NOTES:
The adjustment Allen wrench that comes with the unit fits into a slot on the unit side. It WILL fall out under recoil or handling. Recommend taping it over with Scotch tape after zeroing. Even better, keep it separate in a coin envelope or tiny plastic envelope. After zeroing, no need to keep it physically on the unit. Wrench appears to be approx. 1.5-1.0 mm. It is tiny.

The directions for zeroing with the unit are actually the opposite of what needs to be done...at least with mine. Bottom line....want dot moved to the left....turn counterclockwise. To the right....clockwise....no matter what the directions say. Used 6 sheets plain white paper with center of black pasters for the zero process. That's how I found the directions were opposite to reality.

End result: Love it, and would not hesitate to recommend it.

Guess I should have mentioned mine. I have a Veridian laser/light combo that mounts on the rail of my P226. I mostly use it to train, and I leave it on for home defense. It gets in the way of my paddle holster, though, so it's no good for competition.

I'd love to get some CT grips at some point, but I have to admit to liking green lasers over red/orange, especially for daylight use. Before everyone jumps on me about how easy it is to target me in a night scenario using green: yeah, I already know. Part of it is the geek factor. I have several (non-gun) lasers already in multiple colors. (My favorite is my homemade blue laser.) So the green appeals to me for other reasons than daylight visibility.

CT is against green on principle, although I suspect it has more to do with the technical difficulties of getting a small green laser diode at a reasonable cost.

Guess I should have mentioned mine. I have a Veridian laser/light combo that mounts on the rail of my P226. I mostly use it to train, and I leave it on for home defense. It gets in the way of my paddle holster, though, so it's no good for competition.

The STL 900 I mentioned will fit on either the 220 or 226. Standard Sig holsters will accomodate either item....bare. Same one fits both. Do you have a recommendation for a holster that will fit either the 226 or 220 with the STL900 attached?

The STL 900 I mentioned will fit on either the 220 or 226. Standard Sig holsters will accomodate either item....bare. Same one fits both. Do you have a recommendation for a holster that will fit either the 226 or 220 with the STL900 attached?

Unfortunately I don't. The Veridian came with a crappy nylon holster

http://www.viridiangreenlaser.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22

But retention isn't great without the strap.

Back
Top Bottom