Laser grips

Considering Crimson Trace laser grips for my Glock 22.
Two points: 1- Has anyone encountered any issues with your right trigger finger , while resting against the frame of the gun in a ready position, blocking the laser? Or does it not really matter because when you move your finger to the trigger, that clears the laser beam?

2- Did I read somewhere that Crimson Trace grips made for Glocks do not have an on/off switch?
Thanks.

I don't have them on my Glock, but I do have a set on my S&W 66. When you trigger finger is along the frame, it sometimes blocks the laser, but moving it to the trigger gives all the clearance necessary. Neither the Glock grips or those for S&W J-frame revolvers have the master on/off switch present on the other models, just the grip activation switch.

Ken

Ken, thanks for taking the time to reply. I can't decide between CTC laser grips or Lasermax sights. My hands aren't that big so I'm concerned lasergrips will make the handle too bulky considering they would have to go on OVER the existing grips on a Glock model.
Also, aren't CTC grips brighter than Lasermax?
Also, since there is no on/off switch, would it be tedious to keep taking them on and off if I chose not to use them all the time?
Anyone have any thoughts/ experiences with my questions?
Thanks.

Thanks Cross-X.
One follow-up. I know that more expensive does not always equal better, but the Lasermax are about $100. more than the Crimson Trace . Is the only reason because they are installed inside the firearm?
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Last edited:
I can't answer to why Lasermax is priced higher but a point to consider is that lasermax is not user adjustable for windage/elevation so if for some reason it ends up out of alignment far enough to cause a problem it needs to be shipped to factory for service. IMHO that alone is reason enough to give Crimson Trace a try instead.

Another concern would be that the Crimson Trace website states that the grips have a 4 hour on-time use. Now, since the Glock models of CT do not have a master on/off switch, it would not take long for the batteries to wear out since they activate each time the pistol is gripped. Therefore, I would most likely want to take the grips on and of periodically ( except at home at night), so I'm wondering if this practice would cause them to " loosen up" so to speak, over time?
Thanks.

I use CT in classes a lot and have replaced the batteries several times. It's not as if they cost a fortune, and it's not significantly harder than putting new batteries in your flashlight. I'd focus on price and quality rather than fixate on the batteries/master switch.

Ken

I tested out a few laser systems and got the CT to use as a training tool for my Ruger Mark III. I'll probably get a second pair soon for one of my larger caliber guns.

If your trigger finger rides a little verticle when resting along the frame, it does block the laser. However, it's my understanding that your trigger finger should be horizontal, or pointed a little down when not on the trigger (less distance to go to get to the trigger). In this sense, the CT grips also act as a training aid, because if you're blocking the laser, you know your finger is too high.

The lack of an on/off switch is only a problem if your grip is naturally weak where they place the switch. I tried them on a J frame S&W, and the placement of the switch happened to fall right between my fingers, which made it very difficult to comfortably trigger the laser. However, I haven't had any problem with the Ruger or 1911 grips. The switch itself is very light, so it doesn't take much to trigger it - it turns on very naturally when I grip the gun.

I'd say your best bet is to find someone with a Glock 22 with CT grips on it, and shoot it for yourself. That's the only way you'll know if you're going to run into problems. As for me, I love them.

Back
Top Bottom