Laser Bullets

Sounds like a fancy way of boresighting. With a bolt action gun, I'd just pull out the bolt, look down the bore and go from there.

With an action that you can't do that with, I'd say that other boresighting methods are much cheaper.

In any event, once you get it close, I'd say you're still going to have to fine-tune it with live ammo and a screwdriver.....

Shoot a group, adjust, repeat. It's more fun that way anyhow. Laser bore sights have their place, but they generally don't account for bullet drop.

Mike

Sometimes you can get them cheap and they do get you on paper easily but at close range and then you need to go from there. A green laser would be better for longer ranges but the price is alot more.

I've never used a laser and haven't missed it when sighting scopes. Get close enough to hit paper, adjust to a rough zero, then do a final zero at the desired range. At 25 yards you can see where rounds are going even if they are off the paper. The only place I would use a laser would be if I were doing some oddball scope mounting and needed to confirm things were aligned properly. But for standard mounts and rings on a modern receiver that isn't really a big deal (or I have been really lucky over the past several years).

Waste of money. Here's how I do it....

Mount the rings, lap them, mount the scope, and torque everything to spec.

Go to the range, put up a target at 50 yards, pull the bolt out of the gun, mount the gun/upper in a rest, and look down the barrel and adjust the positioning until you see the target in the center of the bore.

Adjust the scope cross hairs so they're on the target, then fire a test shot. It should be on paper.

Lock the gun into a rest (or a B&D Workmate) and position it so that the cross hairs are back onto your point of aim from when you shot the test round.

Without moving anything (this is very important), carefully adjust the cross hairs so that they're on the bullet hole from your test shot.

You'll be damn close at that point.

Sounds like a fancy way of boresighting. With a bolt action gun, I'd just pull out the bolt, look down the bore and go from there.

With an action that you can't do that with, I'd say that other boresighting methods are much cheaper.

In any event, once you get it close, I'd say you're still going to have to fine-tune it with live ammo and a screwdriver.....

This.

Boresighting will only get you close to the middle of the paper. A 25yrd zero is within an inch of a 200yrd zero, which is 2" high at 100 yrds. Just zero @ 25yrds, come down 2MOA and you should be inside the 9-ring at 100.

And remember, @ 25yrds one inch = 4MOA, so it takes a lot of clicks.

ETA: I use EddieCoyle's method a lot. One shot fired gets you closer than the laser will.

Last edited:
Got a $30 9mm laser cartridge. As it doesn't allow the barrel to lock up like a real cartridge, the laser dot is high. Useless.

Buy stupid toys, play stupid games, uh,

--- no wait, that's not how it goes...

I will voice another opinion. I use one for handguns (and some rimfire rifles). Not one of the 'laser bullets', but a relatively cheap one (~$40). I have used it a lot at the range when we are plate shooting and someone brings a gun that is not sighted in properly. It will allow them to be on the plate with the first shot every time. I also use them at home when I change sights/red dots to be sure I am on paper when I do get to the range. It saves ammunition and I just like it.

Back
Top Bottom