Laser boresights

I was curious if there was a device that would basically shoot a laser down the barrel of a gun so one could tell where a bullet should theoretically hit. And then you could adjust your sights to the laser dot. In looking for this device I see that it is called a laser boresight. I have also found 2 basic types of these laser boresights. One that looks like a cartridge and goes into the barrel where a cartridge would go to fire it and one the sticks into the end of the barrel. The one that sticks into the end of the barrel can be used with adapters for different calibers.

Then there is the red verses green problem. My experience with laser pointers has me doubting the ability to see a red dot in the daylight. But it seems like the only green ones are the ones that you stick into the end on the barrel. And again my experience with laser pointers has me doubting the accuracy of something that sticks into the end of the barrel.

I am not new to firearms but I have only recently purchased a rifle. And although it might be interesting to play with a boresight on my handguns I am mainly interested in using it on a rifle. So I don’t really need a multi bore device but it might be nice but the green ones look like they are a bit more then I would like to spend on such an item.

I was thinking that it would be nice if a universal boresight was made that could be mounted and used after boresighting the firearm as a tactical laser sight. Then I could justify the cost.

Do any of you have experience with the 2 different types of boresights? And would you care to share your opinions?

I had an inexpensive one that fits in the end of the barrel, it was a red laser and I couldn't see it outside on a bright day. Never tried the cartridge style, as they're more money.

I have a cartridge style from Cabela's and it worked well. You can sight it in indoors but just align the vertical line and set the dot several inches below the center of the target along the vertical line than when you go to a range set your target at 25 yds/meters and using your scope you should be on paper than adjust from there.

Last edited:
I got one of the types that fit in the muzzle when they first came out. Came with a few adapters and o rings for different rifles but its basically for .30 cal, .22, and 12 gauge.

It came with a card that you stick on the wall and while the gun is secured in a holder or vise from 25 feet away, you adjust your scope to align with a grid on the card while the laser is aimed at a dot a few inches above.

It supposedly guarantees being on paper at 50 yards when you get to the range and was usually right, but I got better results bore sighting at the range by taking the bolt out, looking through the barrel and positioning the rifle until I was on target, then aligning the scope reticle.

+1

I have absolutely no complaints about the Laserlyte.

Yup - works like a charm for sure. I have the LaserLyte at home and the Bushnell version, (identical) at DSG. It's not an exact science, even though a laser is involved, but I have yet to have a customer come back to the store with a complaint. In fact, a customer came back on Tuesday after I had boresighted his .243 and said he didn't need to make any adjustments at all. That's not the norm however and I tell customers to expect to be on paper at 50-yards and so far, it's been 100%. I want the new LaserLyte Deluxe system with the scope mounting kit. Will make my scope mounting jobs at DSG much easier...I've been using "old timer" methods to mount bases and rings - will be nice to have a little technology behind it...

MassMark,

If you end up getting the Deluxe unit, I hope you'll post your findings here.

Absolutely - it looks like a really nice set-up - especially using the laser combined with bubble levels at a scope alignment tool. The price is right too, ($69.95) - especially since a Wheeler set up will cost almost twice that. The arbors look better as well. My only complaint is that they don't label the arbors, but once you get used to it, you can eyeball the arbors you need...

Back
Top Bottom