Laser Boresighters

I've been tossing around the idea of buying a boresight for a while now, and since I have a couple of build projects going now, I think it might be time to actually do it.

Anyone have any experience with any of the units priced under $100? I looked at Midway and found this

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=112880&t=11082005

$49 with the dealer discount.

There's also a cheaper Bushnell model.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=636671&t=11082005

I also found this at CTD. Since I have 5 carbines on hand, with two stripped receivers and a sixth complete one on the way, it could be worth it, but I'm wary of the quality of anything that CTD sells

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/18188-20335-1438.html

Thoughts? Advice? Warnings?

site lite sl-100

i have this unit and it does an excellent job. included are rubber o-rings
to fit each caliber. i have no experience with this one.

JimB

Ive always used an old style collimator but last year I purchased a cheapo laser bore sighter quite similar to those in the links you posted.
I was surprised at how well it worked. It had every rifle I used it on hitting paper on the first shot and I didnt need more than 3 or four shots to fine tune each one. For the money , you cant go wrong.
The one I bought only goes up to .50 cal.
If I bought another I would make sure to buy one that I could use on a shotgun.

I was wondering about these too. So, is their purpose just to get the hits "on paper", then the rest I still have to do by firing groups of 3? What could I expect for MOA accuracy with just using a laser boresighter and no additional firing?

1 insert bore sighting device
2 load a live cartridge
3 fire gun
4 Get up off ground
5 tape up your face
6 remove pieces or broken safety glasses from neck and chest
7 pick up pieces of gun barrel of the ground
8 apologize to everyone at the range
9 see if the bore sighting device is left, right, low, high
10 adjust sights accordingly after rifle is repaired (may not be applicable)

I was wondering about these too. So, is their purpose just to get the hits "on paper", then the rest I still have to do by firing groups of 3? What could I expect for MOA accuracy with just using a laser boresighter and no additional firing?
You of course can get MOA groups since that has nothing to do with the sights. [smile] OK, ok. A $100 laser boresight gets me under 4 MOA of where I want to zero, which is good enough to finish the zeroing job pretty quickly at 100 yards without having any off the paper. Saves a lot of time and ammo.

But you're never gonna finish the job with just a laser boresight unless you happen to use a load that crosses the bore axis precisely at your zeroing distance. Even if that were the case, there's gonna be a little wiggle room to the boresight's axis, plus unless you use the laser at your desired zero distance, you'll have it a little high or low anyhow unless you're really, really lucky.

Anyone have any experience with any of the units priced under $100?
Hmm - I read right past the pricepoint question! Since I was given my fancy schmancy one, I haven't used cheaper ones.

I used to have one of the Cabelas ones that I got for $35 or so on sale. It worked only a little less well than the fancy one - which is to say, it worked fine. In response to the paper plate suggestion - the question is whether it's worth sighting in normally or spending $40 and skipping a few steps by using the laser boresight. For one rifle? No, not worth it. But with upgrading my scopes, and match ammo for my bolts at close to $1/round (or taking into account handloading time if you handload) not to mention that I'd rather spend my time at 100yds and over rather than sighting in, yeah I think it's worth it. I still wouldn't spend $100 on one on my own. Made a great gift, though! [smile]

I've had a decent experience thus far with the Cabela's brand one. I think it costs about $50 and does everything from .22 to .50 cal.

I use this and it has saved me countless time at the range. One size fits all and no O rings of things to stick in the barrel

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-.../zero-point-magnetic-illuminated-boresighter/
Zero Point Magnetic Illuminated Boresighter from Leupold

This revolutionary boresighter will get you on the paper – and much more – faster than ever. Its unique lens aperture system eliminates point of aim errors resulting from parallax due to extreme misalignment. The boresighter also includes natural backlighting of the target, LED illumination for use in low-light settings, and an inch scale for measuring approximate riflescope height and target group sizes. Check your zero. Set new ranges. Compatible with any caliber firearm. Energy efficient design yields 25 hours of battery life. Range cards for recording sight-in information are included

Back
Top Bottom