• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Laser boresighter, any use?

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
I do a lot of mixing and matching of scopes and uppers and lowers and sights on my AR15s and other rifles, and was wondering about a laser boresighter device I saw from Bushnell. You stick it into the muzzle of the barrel, and it projects a dot where the point of impact is supposed to be.

Has anyone ever used one of these? The idea would be to save some ammo in getting the sighting "in the ballpark" before doing the fine tuning with live ammo.

One reservation I have is that it wouldn't be possible to see the red dot in daylight at 50 yards. The other is that I don't know how accurate the thing really is. It would be possible to use it indoors, at shorter range I suppose.

Any experiences pro or con with these things?

The idea would be to save some ammo in getting the sighting "in the ballpark" before doing the fine tuning with live ammo.

They work really well for the above purpose. Just remember to take it out before you shoot your rifle. [wink]

I used one for my deer rifle. I used it at about 60 feet in my basement. Once I got to the range and fired at 100 yards I was about 4 inches high, but only one adjustment and one wasted round.

How about expanding this question to WHICH ones are better than others and why (include ballpark prices too)??
I recently purchased and used a SITE-LITE from Brownells, it runs about $115 if you don't have a C&R. This is the same bore sight you may have seen blown to bits in another thread. So far no complaints, but I have nothing to compare it to.

How about expanding this question to WHICH ones are better than others and why (include ballpark prices too)??

I wish I could remember which one I had. I left it with my father when I moved out here. I do remember that I got it at Cabelas however... [thinking]

I have had good results with Site Lite SL-100 Boresighter
99.00 from cabelas. Nice thing is, will do 22- to .50-caliber handguns and rifles; 20- and 12-gauge shotguns and muzzleloaders.

I have had good results with Site Lite SL-100 Boresighter
99.00 from cabelas. Nice thing is, will do 22- to .50-caliber handguns and rifles; 20- and 12-gauge shotguns and muzzleloaders.

Thats what I use. 30 feet I think is the distance to set up at. Rubber O rings keep the metal from coming in contact with the rifling and a magnet centers it inside the bore. Its a universal kit like Ba19 mentioned which is a plus in my book. Only other alternative I know is the ones that look like a shell casing. They actually shine a laser directly through the bore and chamber like a round. They are pricey though and not interchangable as far as I know.

I have a $45ish LaserLyte one that does everything from .22 to .50cal. It's great for what it is. Sight in at 25yards and use your roud's ballistic tables to estimate the bullet trajectory at 100yards or whatever you want to sight in at. Definitely helps save some ammo.

Back
Top Bottom