• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

las vegas: Interesting DUI checkpoint encounter

Not to be one to fall into lock step with the mob, I'd like to point out that the LEO's handled themselves exceptionally well and professionally. We are all so quick to jump on the bad cops, lets give credit where credit is due.

I think so too. I just wish that more of them would stand up against having to do this kind of crap in the performance of their duties. Of course most of them probably think that joe sheeple is "glad" for the presence of the checkpoint, and sadly, they would be right. Very few people think about the liberty ramifications of such things, because they don't bother to think beyond their own little world.

-Mike

the guy is obviously looking for a fight

Exercising his 5th amendment rights is "looking for a fight?" What other rights should one forfeit so as to not upset your apple cart?

Last edited:
I've been pulled over for various MV offenses in NJ, AZ, MA and IN (all states I lived in) by both local and State Police, for speeding, registration issues, lights, driving on the revoked list, and a few others. Never any DUI/OUI issues, although I admit to having been close more than once. I was once pulled over by an NJ Trooper for an expired inspection sticker that led to a bust for a couple of roaches (Possession while operating) that ultimately essentially ended up CWOF, so no conviction, hence my LTC-ALP. So I think it's fair to say that I have a rather extensive history with the men in blue over the years.

My point? While I have gotten my fair share of tickets, I have also NOT gotten quite a few. I have invariably "Yes sir/no sir" answered, along with a little self-deprecating humor. "Why did I run the red light? Because I'm an idiot, I'm tired, and I just want to go home to bed." That got me a verbal warning, instead of potentially several hundred dollars in fines and fees. I think MOST of these guys (and gals) are trying to do a decent job, that is difficult, dangerous, and generally under-appreciated. Like any other job, there are a$$holes at all levels. And while it's easy to say "If they don't like the rules they are sworn to uphold, they should quit" how many of those here spouting that could do just that? Go ahead, tell your boss "No, I'm not doing that, I disagree, I think it's wrong." See how long you have a job. Tell the bank that they're just going to have to accept your "principles" in payment for the mortgage or car loan. See if your 19 y/o says "Don't worry Dad, I don't really want to go to college anyway, I'll drop out and work at Stop and Shop".

I am NOT outing myself as an apologist for bad cops, Lord knows there are too many, and the system is skewed ridiculously in their favor when exposed. But there are also a lot of GOOD cops, and I hope more good than bad. Seriously, for as many bad no-knocks and other miscarriages of justice that we all rightly abhor, these are the guys that run TOWARDS the bad guy, when most of us internet warriors would be shitting our pants.

People in general like to complain more than praise, it's our nature. Try this exercise... When was the last time you called 5 of your friends or coworkers to tell them about the great guy at the grocery store that helped your wife carry out her groceries, or the car saleman that gave you more than your car was worth, or the Doctor that stayed late because you were stuck in traffic, or the teacher that gave your kid $3 to buy lunch when they forgot, or..., or..., or...? Now, how many times TODAY have you complained about the jerk that...? So for every "bad cop" story which should certainly be a concern to us all, I have no doubt there are positive ones we don't know about. Bad cops, like bad anythings, need to be outed and dealt with appropriately, and unfortunately that seems to be more the exception than the rule. At the same time, automatically assuming that all cops are out to "do us wrong" seems equally unreasonable to me. The reality I think lies somewhere in the middle...

For the record... I think no-knocks, roadblock/checkpoints, internal review, and many others are counter to a free society. I also think that many PD's are overpaid and underworked, and that protect and serve is a vanishing philosophy. I fail to understand how speed traps prevent crime. And don't even get me started on the WoD...

Exercising his 5th amendment rights is "looking for a fight?" What other rights should one forfeit so as to not upset your apple cart?

I did not mean to imply that him looking for a fight was a bad thing. And the more comments I read the more I want to find a checkpoint!

I think the "he was looking for a fight" comes from the fact that he was wired for sound and video. How many of us move about with a recorder running....

Now. Did he know that the checkpoint was there, and deliberately go out with the recorder, or was the checkpoint a surprise, and he happened to have the camcorder with him?

If the former, then he was "looking for a fight"; if the latter he was "ready for a fight".

We should all carry a recording device in case there is trouble and the officers "story" varies from reality. Too many times video has saved somebody from what would have been ugly otherwise.

I think the "he was looking for a fight" comes from the fact that he was wired for sound and video. How many of us move about with a recorder running....

Now. Did he know that the checkpoint was there, and deliberately go out with the recorder, or was the checkpoint a surprise, and he happened to have the camcorder with him?

If the former, then he was "looking for a fight"; if the latter he was "ready for a fight".

Looks like a a cell phone video. I have mine mounted to my windshield and record every time I go out (I'm weird, I'm just hoping to catch something odd happen though, you know like Bigfoot running by[wink]), not hard to be prepared for something like this.

This Guy is a complete "A" hole , He is just looking to see how far he can go before getting a reaction for the police. The office handled it very well.

Not to be one to fall into lock step with the mob, I'd like to point out that the LEO's handled themselves exceptionally well and professionally. We are all so quick to jump on the bad cops, lets give credit where credit is due.
How much of that is due to the camera being blatantly shown to them?

If he had answered the question with a simple "no, I haven't" would he have had to continue answering questions, or could he have then shut up and been allowed to leave?
The moment you answer "No", they don't buy it, and you end up doing Sidewalk Olympics anyway. I've been there dozens of times so spare me the retort. Even to the point where it was obvious I was the designated driver. But no, the Badge yanks me out of the car anyway and I'm picking my nose on one foot, staring at the sky reciting the alphabet from "J" to "Q" wondering when he's going to stick that pen up my ass. 30 minutes later, Mr Badge tells me, "..Ok, I'm going to let you off with a warning, don't let me see you again tonight..." [rolleyes]

Outside of all this, both sides held cool. They were miffed at being challenged, but held their calm. It more seemed like a combination of two things: the camera, and it might've been late in the shift and they just didn't want to deal with it, which seems more likely as to why she waved him on.

I have never been stopped at a sobriety check point in my life. In fact, I have not been stopped for anything in years.

I think the last time I got pulled over was more than 10 years ago, by a Stoughton cop, right in Stoughton center. I blatantly ran a stop sign and when the cop pulled me over he said," I am sorry to bother you this morning, but the chief told us to pull over people that obviously run that stop sign, and you were pretty obvious, would you happen to have your license on you?"

He ran my license, and handed it back to me, then he asked if I would please not just roll through the intersection in the future.

I was in my early 30's at the time and I thought to myself " Wow, clean cut, middle aged white guys really do have it easy" [laugh]

The police question was "Have you had anything to drink this evening?"

That strikes me as way too ambiguous.

What time does "evening" start so as to answer without getting charged with lying to police?

What if the correct answer is, "Yes, I did," because you had a cup of coffee with dessert? If you answer "no" you are lying to the police. If you answer "yes" you're in for further harassment.

--jcr

Nice to see someone exercise their rights. These bullsh_t, gestapo, DUI check points make my blood boil. If a police officer has not witnessed me exhibiting suspicious behavior they really have no right to even talk to me. These cops handled themselves well, "doing their job", but I still can't help but feel that Commie check points are a blatant disregard of peoples rights.

Last edited:
This Guy is a complete "A" hole , He is just looking to see how far he can go before getting a reaction for the police. The office handled it very well.

Argh, silly citizen. He should show hiz paperz immediately. No questions asked! No paperz? SEND TO GULAG!

The moment you answer "No", they don't buy it, and you end up doing Sidewalk Olympics anyway. I've been there dozens of times so spare me the retort. Even to the point where it was obvious I was the designated driver. But no, the Badge yanks me out of the car anyway and I'm picking my nose on one foot, staring at the sky reciting the alphabet from "J" to "Q" wondering when he's going to stick that pen up my ass. 30 minutes later, Mr Badge tells me, "..Ok, I'm going to let you off with a warning, don't let me see you again tonight..." [rolleyes]

You have a right to refuse Field Sobriety Test. As opposed to Breathalyzer, it carries no penalties WRT your driver's license.

I posted this in another forum under the LEO forum, and I must say, its definitely a different response.
Definitely an eye opener as to how the constitution has been disregarded and discredited by our gov't and its agencies, state, fed and local.
Scary.

I dont know if anyone pointed this out but I think the camera had something to do with it too![wink]
I don't think the first LEO knew about the camera until it was pointed at him out the window, but his attitude and demeanor remained consistent throughout the video.

What obligation am I under as a MA resident to answer the question " Have you had any alcohol to drink tonight?"

I am under no obligation under the Constitution to answer it at all.

It always annoys me that they ask me where I'm going to or coming from. I understand that they are just trying to have a dialog with someone to see how coherent they are, how they talk, etc... but the overtone of the question itself is kind of offensive- are my travel plans really any of their business?

The last time I went through one of these I really wanted to (politely) mess with the LEO ("Well, We moved here from California when I was about this big... and then, etc etc etc) but I decided against it because I just wanted to go home.

For whatever it is or isn't worth, I've been through two of these in MA and each time I was never asked about drinking, although the LEO always began with a spiel about how they were conducting a sobriety checkpoint or something like that.

-Mike

You have a right to refuse Field Sobriety Test. As opposed to Breathalyzer, it carries no penalties WRT your driver's license.

Correct. You also have the RIGHT to be seen by your OWN physician immediately after being arrested and booked for DUI. Not many people know that.

I have ALWAYS had a problem with the OUI/DUI check points. As they restirict and impede free travel, with out the use of Probable Cause or RAS that a crime has been or is being commited. You can say that driving is a Priviledge, no arguement, But a violation of law is still needed to stop someones freedom of travel.

Check points are legal so long as they are random and posted to the public the week prior. That's why you will see it in the papers telling your of check points. Also, they cannot stop every car. There HAS to be a consistent and systematic way the stop cars at the check point.

Correct. You also have the RIGHT to be seen by your OWN physician immediately after being arrested and booked for DUI. Not many people know that.

When is the last time you were able to see your doctor within even 24 hours of any given time? That won't help you much.

Check points are legal so long as they are random and posted to the public the week prior.

Technically "legal" by the law, doesn't mean the law should be or is right, or is constitutional.

Back
Top Bottom