LaRue Ultimate Upper Kit?

so, heh, not so much luck. they got processing orders with 16" barrels. so, the email was sent out by mistake and transaction was refunded.

i called them, spoke with a very nice guy who checked for me - on 18" barrels it is probably an another 2+ months of wait, and he altered my order for a 20" which he says they do have right now and it should ship out in a couple of days. will see how will that go. i just want to get it before any stupid votes in congress and be done with it.

Last edited:
Crap, looks like I may have to do the same then (ship back to have it removed). Did they charge extra for that?

wondering if my gunsmith can handle it themselves?

Ordered a Larue Ultimate Upper end of January. Just got notified Friday that it shipped. The other two Stealth uppers I ordered, well, that’s a different story. According to Larue customer service, there is a six month wait. I thought the wait applied to both but who knows?

Ordered a Larue Ultimate Upper end of January. Just got notified Friday that it shipped. The other two Stealth uppers I ordered, well, that’s a different story. According to Larue customer service, there is a six month wait. I thought the wait applied to both but who knows?
It all depends on when they have a run of barrels to do, somethings they get more orders on than others

No charge for removal and they said they said it would be a same day turnaround. Have to pay to ship to them though.

Crap, looks like I may have to do the same then (ship back to have it removed). Did they charge extra for that?

wondering if my gunsmith can handle it themselves?

20” ordered Feb 25. Shipping today !!!!

Just over a month
LaRue - c'est magnifique! Arrived this morning, assembly was a breeze with aero lower - so simple and fast, i love it. all fits, all in proper sizes, no need to hammer in any pins, awesome.
And stock brake they did not put on a locktite, which was very nice - it came off by hand, as i requested. And what came as a surprise - it even fits into a case with a scope mounted.

LaRue20.jpg

LaRue - c'est magnifique! Arrived this morning, assembly was a breeze with aero lower - so simple and fast, i love it. all fits, all in proper sizes, no need to hammer in any pins, awesome.
And stock brake they did not put on a locktite, which was very nice - it came off by hand, as i requested. And what came as a surprise - it even fits into a case with a scope mounted.

View attachment 469304
Nice rifle, this makes me want to add a 20" now

I assume the 20” upper has the rifle length gas system. Did it come with a carbine length receiver extension? Rifle buffer?

I am so close to ordering a 20” kit..

View attachment 469304

To those who have the UU kit. How did you fix the stock to comply with the MA AWB bs? I’m thinking about drilling the adjustment on the stock and putting a roll pin through it but want to hear others thoughts first. Thanks

The larue stock is very difficult to massify nicely.
Get a magpul if you want to go that route, they’re easy.

They are very easy to remove however so one could buy a cheap fixed stock to slide onto the buffer for transport.
If you decide to replace the larue with another stock and want to sell let me know, I’ll buy it.
Larue web site now shows rat stocks on sale for $39.

so, i took a half day off to have some fun at the range - to re-zero tavor on the x3 prism and brake-in new LaRue.

some things are painfully obvious now - like, i need to go get my eyes checked again, and probably get new glasses, and, as expected, this AR hates steel.

it was doing the most typical AR thing with it - when it gets hot, and you take a good pause between shots - round does not stuck completely, there were no issues to eject, but, it had plenty of issues to load as it was sticking in there. with rapid fire - no issues at all, but, if you do hesitate and take time to aim - then next round after shot may not load, or get stuck loading mid way. it quite sucks, as brass .223 is quite scarce still ad all i have to plink with is steel.

it also did not help much that i had a mix of wolf and tula, and i have a certain feeling that out of 5 30rd mags i ran through it - 2 went through much smoother than other 3.
dunno, i will need to come back to it all again, with different ammo and then will need to decide what to do with scopes, as vortex 1-6x i did set on it was not really working well with my eyes anymore. either i need new glasses, or new set of eyes or a diff scope. at the end i could not keep focus on the reticle and target at all, all was moving back and forth to blurry and back into focus, sucks.

so, an overall feel of today - it was remarkably inconsistent. bad spread initially, then improved, then not quite nice again.
the improved result is below - after i assumed i have zeroed it well enough for the kind of ammo i had - I was able to produce those 3 groups - and see how upper right is all over the place with 3 shots there - that was the last 3 shots on this target.
arIMG-0680 (2).jpg

so after that i presumed "it is what it is" and was acceptable enough result for the steel rounds i had, even so one group was consistently low and the other one was high - hmm - and then went with the next mag to the round target, and it got a much worse spread. go figure. it was closer to the end of the session, so the barrel was same hot on both those takes, and target above was shot non-stop also. quite remarkable that not a single one did hit a bullseye there.
arIMG-0681.jpg

it was all 55gr ammo, i do not have 68gr nor 77gr - CMP did not ship nothing yet. and i have a certain feeling that either tula or wolf - dunno which one is which - was doing way better than the other.

so, now i got to wait for CMP orders to come through and bring me some match grade rounds for the next attempt.

Last edited:
Which barrel?
20" stealth.

ordered some 75gr ammo to try, just 5 packs - expensive, but, i guess it is the new normal.

will see how that will work, when i get it.

My scope combo even came in 😁. I put a Tenebraex kill flash on it.

Is the lower manufactured or an 80% that had some quality milling done with a 5D jig? I’ll never say👻

Tapco sling plate, Phase 5 Bolt catch lever

Attachments

• DAB92995-7929-405A-ACAA-7022DFB0DFCD.jpeg
    DAB92995-7929-405A-ACAA-7022DFB0DFCD.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 28
Just received my LaRue ultimate upper. Apparently I didn't grasp what they meant when you could elect for them to assemble it. Essentially the only thing they assembled was the gasblock. They didn't even put the muzzle break on. I assumed the upper was going to be fully assembled.

How can they call it "assembled" and the entire upper is not assembled. Seems like they f***ed this up.

Last edited:
Just received my LaRue ultimate upper. Apparently I didn't grasp what they meant when you could elect for them to assemble it. Essentially the only thing they assembled was the gasblock. They didn't even put the muzzle break on. I assumed the upper was going to be fully assembled.

How can they call it "assembled" and the entire upper is not assembled. Seems like they f***ed this up.
If you paid $99 for assembly- it was supposed to be all bolted in together, ready to unite with the lower. If you did not - then it is all parts.

If you paid $99 for assembly- it was supposed to be all bolted in together, ready to unite with the lower. If you did not - then it is all parts.

Correct. I paid for the assembly, yet it is all parts.

They clearly didn't check before shipping it.

Could be worse... I could still be waiting for their upper like I am the Radian I ordered in July.

I think my Radian upper took something like 6 months last year. At least it comes with nice stickers. [smile]

Yep, when I ordered it in July they said there was a 16 week lead time. I've kept on communicating over the months and they keep pushing it back, & now all orders have a 10 month lead time.

Yesterday they gave me the option of waiting another 1-2 months for the barrel length I ordered, set me up with a pin/welded 14.5 & ship immediately, or full refund. Figure I've been here long enough, what's another month.

Props to LaRue. Sent them an email at 6pm last night, they already corresponded with me & sent me a prepaid shipping label back to them. Was going to suggest they just refund me the money & I'd do it myself, but I guess I'll ship it back.

Don't care when companies mess shit up, it happens, but when places give good support like this it ensures my future business. Good on them.

I'm cringing at the thought of steel cased crap ammo being run through a brand new larue upper.....

try putting some of that ammo in a case guage......you may be surpised or not at how inconsistent crap steel cased ammo is and how much of it is dimensionally crap
Don’t cringe - it hurts me to see you in pain! Send me all your brass .223 and 5.56 and i will gladly run it through my rifle! :)

I am busy with work, but, i plan on going to range again and i have some 51gr brass and 75gr brass, will test it. As of getting rifle ruined with some 100-200 of steel rounds - it is not a concern. it will handle it, it is a rifle, not a fetish. :)

Props to LaRue. Sent them an email at 6pm last night, they already corresponded with me & sent me a prepaid shipping label back to them. Was going to suggest they just refund me the money & I'd do it myself, but I guess I'll ship it back.

Don't care when companies mess shit up, it happens, but when places give good support like this it ensures my future business. Good on them.
see - everything is resolvable. i second notion about the plastic case - it is better than it looks, and saved me some hassle. larue folks are 1st class and are very responsive, except of answering same question on when it will be shipped. :)

tell them not to set muzzle break on the loctite if you do not want it, or you will not be able to undo it. if you cal lthem and tell them - they will put a note on your build.

Back
Top Bottom