• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Larue for Yankee Hill

Serapis

Navy Veteran
I past up on a Larue handguard for a Yankee Hill one. It was a bit cheaper and easier to deal with Midway than Larue.

Am I going to be upset in the quality? I have been impressed with everything else Yankee Hill and their prices are great. Do they sacrifice quality for low costs, though?

I took the Yankee hills off 2 of my rifles and replaced both of them with Larue....never been happier...Personally its like night and day in my opinion. when my buddy saw them he did the same..

I've seen the YHM lowers from the last group buy, what's wrong with YHM? They looked like they came out great.

I've seen the YHM lowers from the last group buy, what's wrong with YHM? They looked like they came out great.

I like the lower. I have one.

I just bought the Spectre length diamond handguard. I chose it over the Larue 10 inch. Having never seen a Larue I was unsure as to the difference in quality.

serious question: what is the difference between one guys machined aluminum handguard and the other guys machined alumnium handguard?

nothing wrong with YHM. they have a bunch of different hand guards... i've owned YHM and fondled LaRue... both quality, depending on what your doing.

jesus... splitting hairs much? other than brand whoring of course

I don't think its as much as splitting hairs as is buying something that is good quality. I am just looking for something that could take a little beating. I thought the YHM could do that better, but some people are telling me different. It's hard for me to tell having never touched a LaRue.

I came for advice, after all this is one of the reasons NES is so great.

I have a YHM free float diamond quad rail on my new AR and I love it. Couldn't be happier.

DSC_0837_zps0abb9616.jpg

DSC_0835_zps5dccc254.jpg

Is that the spectre length on a 16"?

- - - Updated - - -

Why would AR parts be different that anything else manufactured?

Because not all that cost more are better.

Thanks for everyone trying to help me. I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Is that the spectre length on a 16"?

- - - Updated - - -

Because not all that cost more are better.

Thanks for everyone trying to help me. I appreciate it.

i wasn't trying to bust balls. when comparing these things, there is an obvious difference between cheap eBay / Amazon stuff and places like BCM, LaRue and YHM. but it all depends on what you are using the rifle for.

i had a diamond upper on a SASS project... another NES member / friend in real life had a light-weight YHM upper... another one had a LaRue model "xxxyyzzz"... all were of equal quality and the only difference for us was they were mounted on different rifles.

16" vs. 20" "SASS" (heavy white oak barrel) vs. Noavesk (sp) or a frankenstein build... too many variables. also, i've found the cost is usually within $10-20 of each others. [laugh] depending on where you shop too.

I don't think its as much as splitting hairs as is buying something that is good quality. I am just looking for something that could take a little beating. I thought the YHM could do that better, but some people are telling me different. It's hard for me to tell having never touched a LaRue.

I came for advice, after all this is one of the reasons NES is so great.

I have never owned Larue, but I have had YHM on half a dozen of my own rifles. I have also put them on over a dozen rifles used by different police officers. All of them are strong enough for rugged police work. You can stake your life on them. What more do you need?

Dave

This comes down to things like Nike vs Reebok. People think they have to have the 'name brand' stuff, or 'higher end stuff.'

YHM is GTG IMHO.

This comes down to things like Nike vs Reebok. People think they have to have the 'name brand' stuff, or 'higher end stuff.'
Pretty much how I feel. LaRue has the name for sure nation wide. If I could afford it, I'd be 100% LaRue just on name recognition. I have 1 LaRue product, a QD Aimpoint mount, only because when the Aimpoint PRO first came out, LaRue was the only dealer who would sell to civilians. I bought their sight/mount package. Any better than another brand, this mount? Maybe...it seems to do what it's suppose to, hold extremly close to zero if I take it on and off. Enough to justify the extra cost of another brand? to me, no. If I had to bet my life on it or I shot competition, hell yeah.

I past up on a Larue handguard for a Yankee Hill one. It was a bit cheaper and easier to deal with Midway than Larue.

Am I going to be upset in the quality? I have been impressed with everything else Yankee Hill and their prices are great. Do they sacrifice quality for low costs, though?

It'll probably be fine, but it's a good thing you haven't touched the Larue yet because you would be like "Uh, how about no" to replacing it with a YHM if you had both of them in front of you. YHM is the best of the cheap stuff. You could do a lot, lot worse. If I was in a pinch I wouldn't hesitate to use YHM stuff.

-Mike

You'll see differences in weight and mount up. I had a YHM diamond on my first build and was a solid quality handguard, but I ended up with the lighter "dd lite" rail for my final build where weight savings was the name of the game. My fiance is putting a troy vtac alpha rail on her rifle as she wants it to be as light as possible (and noveske nsrs are nowhere to be found).

I love the dd lite rail but went with a cheaper MI rail in the interest of weight savings for my AR10.

The one lesson I've learned from shlepping a rifle around is the lighter the better. You also don't need 90% of the real estate on a quad rail. I recommend the lightest modular tubes and pencil barrels to most doing carbine builds now.

Bottom line is the diamond is a quality rail but also will probably add unneccesary weight to your rifle.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

uhh wth? yhm vs larue? someone is smokin' the good stuff if they are even placing the two in comparison...

economy vs luxury

eat 'em up boys.

yne2yhav.jpg

3U5A0780_zps6c17a5ea.jpg

3U5A0783_zps9d0e0af8.jpg

Last edited:
While Larue is nice you are paying for the name aand additional "finish." When you are talking about good ARs you are splitting hairs between the the good ones and the so called great ones. Think Infiniti G37 vs bmw 3 series. Similar performance, slightly more refinement on the bmw and a premium name.

Mike

are you speaking from experience with owning one or making an assumption? it aint "splitting hair" as you say.

i own 5 ar's ranging from larue, palmetto state, m&p, axts matched with rainier arms ultramatch and geissele smr, and bushmaster acr. while they all shoot, they dont shoot the same or handle the same.

Yes. I've shot M27s (HK), colts, yhms, franken builds, etc. Yes a well built and balanced rifle definitely feels good and solid, but I've seen plemty of cheap guns shoot fast and accurately while looking slightly less pretty. YHM makes solid rifles, though with admitedly less refinement than higher end brands. It is hardley apples to oranges when comparing a wicked expensive super gun to one of the other quality ARs on the market when talking about overall performance, especially when considering the modularity of things like triggers, the best of which are made by third parties.

Mike

Last edited:
it boils down to financials.

for me personally, i buy what my heart desires bc if i dont, then ill constantly wonder and eventually buy it anyways. kinda ocd. this is of course, after ample time having passed so i can save money to afford it.

some people like having lots of less expensive/middle of the road guns. some like both higher and middle ranging guns.

handguards can be compared just like any other part of this modular rifle. again, it's designed as a package to make performance improvements.

geissele trigger vs mil spec, troy buis vs magpul, surefire lights vs inforce, surefire brake vs yhm brake, miad grip vs milspec grip... do they serve the same purpose? sure, but u cant tell the industry leaders that it wont make a difference besides splitting hair.

even if u may not agree up to this point, splitting hair makes a difference. ask the 3 gunners or a situation when u need o send 30 rounds downrange and barrel control is essential

Last edited:
The shooter is 90% of the equation. And it is splitting hairs. I have an exoensive rifle but that is no less true. My cheaper previous rifle shot just as well if I did my part.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom