Largemouth Bass Fishing Central Mass

Has anyone in the CMASS area started fishing for largemouth? If so, what baits have been working for you? I have a small pond in my backyard, not sure what is in there yet. I would like to try fishing for some largemouth outta there, just wondering what people have been having success with so far. I was thinking maybe a spinner or some medium sized shiners. Shiner fishing is pretty much fishing with dynamite. Still a heck of a lot of fun to watch that bobber get yanked under though.

I haven't been fishing yet this year, but if the water is cold (40s), try to avoid the fast moving baits. The live bait might be your best bet. If the water is warming up (50s) crankbaits, spinnerbaits, and stick baits are good.

Also, always try a couple of different colored senkos. They are versatile and can be fished super slow to super fast.

Dave

Yupp. Slow is the way to go this time of year. I've been out a few times and the Bass are still pretty passive. Crankbaits, jerkbaits or wacky worm would be best, or you can just fish for pickerel as they're always ready to rock and great fun to catch.
Barry Bonds fishes for bass with shiners :)

use shiners i just let them run naturaly with no bobber and a small hook try to do it on a warm day though

i have been catching them on a spinner with a slow retrive i mostly get pickerel though i got 2 bass last night and my freind got 5 they were all babies though well under one pound on a yellow no4 agila mepps

We had a tournament on Quaboag pond on Saturday. 15 boats, 52 fish weighing a total of 146 pounds were caught. 5 fish for 18.70 pounds won, 17+ lbs for second, 14.5 for third. Crankbaits and jigs were the baits of the day. I caught all my fish on a red lipless crankbait.

Nice thread. Agreed on shiners, it's almost too easy. Same thing with live lining macks in saltwater for stripers - the fish just can't resist the live bait :)

The colder the water the slower you work the bait you are using.

Generally when the water is in the 40's all I throw are crankbaits, jigs and jerkbaits.

In the 50's I will mix a spinnerbait in with those, especially on a warm sunny afternoon where the sun will move them up over dark colored bottomed shallow flats.

Once the water starts to hit the 60's they will begin to start to eat a bunch and the vegitation begins to emerge. Spinnerbaits, jigs and plastics can really do some damage.

I tried a small pond yesterday with a spinner, tried as slow a retrieve as I could to keep the bait going. No luck. I just bought some new spinners so I wanted to give them a try. I have never fished this pond before so I have no real idea what works best. Next time I will try either a plastic worm, a crankbait or some shiners.

My dad caught a six pounder last weekend on a spinner bait, went back today and think I got the same one on a gulp worm except my hook broke about 5 feet from shore. Thats what I get for not inspecting my gear since I put it away last year.

Here is a photo of the 6.82 from saturday my friend caught for lunker, his other fish was 3.18 for comparison.

BSBAQuaboag20113.jpg

Back
Top Bottom