large rifle primers in place of large pistol

gerrycaruso

NES Member
I know it's not supposed to be done because of the difference in height but since large pistol primers are not available, I thought I'd see if large rifle would fit. CCI large rifle primers fit the primer pocket of a .45acp case without sticking out the bottom. I went to try them this morning but the club was a nut house. I'll try again later today.

Interesting. If you have some LPP can you mic the depth of that and LRP and report the difference you are seeing as well as the brand primer?

Curious, is your .45 brass all one headstamp or mixed stuff?

image.jpeg

Federal LR primers are even shorter than CCI

Headstamp was mixed. I loaded 15 rounds. I got to try them this afternoon and all worked fine. The gun was a S&W Shield. They chambered fine and went off on the first strike every time and I still have both eyes and all my fingers. Not a very scientific test but I'll take it to mean that when I run out of practice .45 ammo in about 4 months, I can make more with rifle primers if I haven't gotten any pistol primers by then. I have a lead on some and I'll check it out tomorrow.

I have used large rifle on 45 ACP. I was a bit concerned about a slam fire since they sit a little higher in the primer pocket but that didn't happen. Shot fine, didn't notice any difference in power campared to LP primers.

Back
Top Bottom